New to Boating and New Whaler Owner

A conversation among Whalers
dleopoldi914

New to Boating and New Whaler Owner

Postby dleopoldi914 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:05 pm

I am new to boating and purchased my first Boston Whaler boat. I had a close family friend looking to upgrade, and I purchased his 1983 Montauk 17 that was re-powered in 2006. The boat has a GARMIN chart plotter and fish finder, and has a auxiliary engine. The boat was taken care of with utmost importance.

I am new to boating so reading everything I possibly can and asking around.

I apologize in advance for any stupid questions and excited to be here.

jimh

Re: New to Boating and New Whaler Owner

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:42 pm

'914--welcome to the forum. I recommend you read all the answers to the Frequently Asked Questions as a first step in getting acquainted. See

Frequently Asked Questions
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/

PeteG

Postby PeteG » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 am

Take a boating safety course from either Coast Guard Aux or Power Squadron.

ngoldhabermd

Postby ngoldhabermd » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:48 pm

I figured I’d use this thread for a similar introduction

I’m a newbie myself and just purchased a “used “ 2017 Vantage 270

Very psyched to get started!!

Neil

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:22 am

NEIL--you jumped into boating with both feet--that 270 VANTAGE is a lot of boat. You made a good choice.

But, as recommended by others, take a U.S. Power Squadron or U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary basic boating course.

I have been boating since I was a kid, but I still learn something new about boating every time I go out on the water.

MikeF1

Postby MikeF1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 pm

A Coast Guard or other safety course is the bare minimum. I was a marine police many officer years ago. I left that job for a land based law enforcement career and was away from boating for [more than] 20 years. I then bought a 17' Montauk (same as my old patrol boat- love it!) and had to take a safety course. I was amazed how little was covered in the one-day course. Take a course but then find an experienced friend and act as a "mate", even in your own boat, as much as you can. There is so much to learn about boat handling, rules of the road, navigation (what do all those markers mean, anyway?), weather, line handling, knots, and on and on. In my training I rode with a senior officer 30 hours a week for three months and still had much to learn. Frankly, I'm amazed that one can go buy a boat that will go [more than] 60-MPH, take an 8-hour course, and then you on your own. Legally, anyway. It is NOT like driving a car. Learn as much as you can, read books, pick brains and then have a great, safe time.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 am

I whole heartily agree with MikeF1 comments, but I'm surprised that where he is located an 8-hour course is even required. I believe there are many states where you can buy a boat and don't need any education unless you are under age. The Power Squadron classes are longer than one day and seem to cover a lot compared to a DNR's or sheriff's course. Learn as much as you can, slow down, and smell the water.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot