Assessing 13-footer for Restoration

A conversation among Whalers
pmgia

Assessing 13-footer for Restoration

Postby pmgia » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:34 pm

I think I'm going to own this by 9 a.m. tomorrow: is it worth a TOTAL makeover? Or, too far gone?

Experts please chime in.

https://ibb.co/nzN5vG
https://ibb.co/nkhS9b
https://ibb.co/c5Am2w
1966 Boston Whaler 13' (in restoration)

U.S.C.G. Masters with Auxiliary Sailing and Towing Endorsements.

Jefecinco

Re: Assessing 13-footer for Restoration

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:49 am

I wouldn't touch it unless I had the skills to do all the required glass work myself. If it has been like that sitting outside for several years it is unlikely it can ever be returned to anything approaching original condition. I would look for a hull that has not been badly damaged.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:35 am

That boat may not even be a Boston Whaler. Boston Whaler never used a splatter-blue-white gelcoat as that boat has. It could be some old knock-off hull. Look for the HIN on the transom to establish the manufacturer.

pmgia

Postby pmgia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:11 am

Well, I own it now, don't have the skills yet, but am eager to learn.

The boat has ben painted at least once and the first thing I did was removed the rub rail, the second thing I did was to sand the interior stern and I found a five digit number in white on whaler blue (20xxx) which implies its not a 1970, but a '66.

I am thinking that I will
1.) sand the inside of the boat
2.) sand the outside of the boat
2.) cut out the floor in a large section (not sure where to cut) likely near the sides.
3.) Remove all the foam on the bottom and in the sidewalls
4.) See where this project takes me

I have plenty of time and am eager to learn how to glass, this boat is clearly a good canvas to learn and screw up on. I am a perfectionist so I hope to end up with a better than average finished product. I would appreciate any ideas how to tackle this, if you have links please share if you think I'll benefit.
1966 Boston Whaler 13' (in restoration)

U.S.C.G. Masters with Auxiliary Sailing and Towing Endorsements.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:20 am

If you found a stencil number in white on blue gelcoat resin, then you do have a Boston Whaler.

I'd go easy on cutting out the foam. Without the foam the two-piece hull won't have sufficient rigidity.

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:10 pm

The skills you need to repair that will not come fast or on one boat. It is a trade to repair that and many skills involved. It would not be cheap even for materials involved and equipment. Then add in your time. Unless I had personal attachment to he hull I would not bother with it.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 am

I hope you got it for free and didn't pay one cent for it as you have to spend thousands of dollars before you can get it floating again. I'm not talking about the time/hours needed to do so and then you have to find power for it. Like mentioned above many times I would have left it. I'm very handy but I wouldn't put a year work or more into a 13ft boat.
And is it a Whaler?
Good luck and keep us informed of your progress in the next year or so.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot