Boston Whaler Brand Trailer

A conversation among Whalers
JPBJR

Boston Whaler Brand Trailer

Postby JPBJR » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:27 am

A question for our BW experts: iIn the late 1990's did Boston Whaler make a custom trailer?

I saw one last week on the highway and it was white with red Boston Whaler lettering. It was holding a 13-footer that looked like a late 1990's boat with a 40 Mercury two-stroke. The trailer had regular car size tires and a spare attached to the side. It was perfectly mated to the boat with custom indented fenders covered with red carpeting. It was incredible--almost looked new--but must have been 15 to 18-years-old. Was this one of a kind or an actual factory item? Thanks for any info.

Phil T

Re: Boston Whaler Brand Trailers

Postby Phil T » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:11 pm

Boston Whaler sources trailers from a trailer manufacturer. Karavan has been the source for many years.

There are many companies that offer a trailer that is a good fit for any whaler model. Retail sales are regional so it which brands are available near you depends on where you live unless you want to drive a significant distance.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

JPBJR

Re: Boston Whaler Brand Trailer

Postby JPBJR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 pm

There is a postscript to this inquiry. I saw a BW listed on Craigslist that was exactly the boat on a BW trailer that I had seen. It is a 1999 13 GLS that is in pristine condition with a 40 Merc. I had been looking for one for years and found it on the BW trailer south of Denver. I bought it on the spot yesterday and will pick it up in a week or two. When I get it back to my home I will post pictures of this beautiful boat, motor and trailer. You all will like it and I look forward to your comments on the “Boston Whaler” trailer.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Our 190 Montauk atop an OEM Karavan boat trailer has a Boston Whaler logo but it was not made by Boston Whaler. Our Sport 13 atop a Sport Trail custom boat trailer also has a prominent Boston Whaler logo on the trailer.

We look forward to seeing the pictures of your "new" 1999 13GLS and it's trailer.
Butch

JPBJR

Postby JPBJR » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Another postscript: I picked up the [the 1999 13 GLS] yesterday in Monument, Colorado in 60-degree-F temperature. Even better than I thought originally. I have had five Boston Whaler boats in my life but none better than this! [The 1999 13 GLS] is absolutely pristine and has every factory option. The boat itself looks flat out new.

One mystery was solved with the trailer: it is not a Karavan but a Dorsey by Boston Whaler and painted red and white with the Boston Whaler emblem and red pin striping prominently displayed. With its flared fenders and regular size tires it tows wonderfully and the GLS fits perfectly.

I had to travel thru downtown Denver on my way home to Loveland at rush hour and many drivers gave me a thumbs up; and one asked if she could go wherever I was going! Boston Whalers are fairly rare in Colorado and I am sure few have ever been seen in downtown Denver! I was towing it with my brand new white Subaru Forester and it really looked slick.

[The 1999 13 GLS] is now safely tucked in my garage with the good company of a Boxster S, a BMW Z4, and the Subaru. Yes they all fit, but barely. When I can figure out how to post pictures with my IPad I will. Right now I am a happy camper.

By the way I paid $6,000 for the Whaler and feel like I got a bargain. I have been looking for a 1999 GLS for over three years because of its 360-lbs weight. Bring on the fishing.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:18 am

Congratulations. Sounds like a super boat and trailer especially for fresh water use.
Butch