Center console v. Dual console

A conversation among Whalers
TP848

Center console v. Dual console

Postby TP848 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:15 pm

I currently own a 180 Dauntless. I am considering switching to a dual console Ventura. I have owned a center console for many years and know the advantages and disadvantages. I’m looking for input from anybody who has switched from [center console] to the [dual console] and their thoughts.

And, does the VENTURA windshield really knock down the wind when running?

Thanks

Dutchman

Re: Center console v. Dual console

Postby Dutchman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:05 pm

I assume you are talking a Ventura 180.

Windshields on boats do deflect some air, but [the effectiveness of the air deflection] depends on how close and low you are sitting behind them. If the center [section of the VENTURA 180 wind] shield is closed you'll still get a draft around your feet, which will come up into your face, but hey you are boating and want to enjoy the weather.

The obvious disadvantages [for] the dual [console] are less deck space and less walk space--as you know from having a center console.

The advantage [of the dual console] is less utilitarian, more comfortable seating, more like a family bow-rider, [more] like a dime-a-dozen-boats out there, except better quality.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

TP848

Postby TP848 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:55 pm

I am looking at a 210 Ventura.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am

I don't meet the criterion imposed on responses, that is, I have not owned a center console boat and switched to a dual console boat, however I do offer these observations made from operating both types of boats.

In comparing a center-console boat to a dual-console boat, note that in the center-console boat the helmsman can typically stand at the helm and operate the boat. In a dual-console boat, depending on the particular arrangements, the helmsman may not be able to stand at the helm and would have to operate the boat from a seated position.

Another concern in comparing center-console and dual-console boats is the location of the fore-and-aft position of the helm. On center-console boats the helm tends to be located farther aft than is seen on dual-console boats.

It is my experience that in operating a small boat in rough seas, it is advantageous to be able to stand at the helm and also advantageous if the helm is located farther aft. Both those influences tend to reduce the effect of motion on the boat on the helmsman.

Drmorison

Postby Drmorison » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Going to a 210 VENTURA from a 180 DAUNTLESS is a huge improvement in ride, comfort, and seating. The 210 Ventura hull is deeper vee than the 180 DAUNTLESS, and the extra length and weight will make the ride even smoother. Both are fine boats. I currently own a 160 VENTURA, and the windshield on my boat is extremely protective. I would think that the 210 VENTURA would be the same or better. If I planned on going out the inlet, I would choose the 210 VENTURA in a second over the 180 DAUNTLESS .