1989 SPORT 15 Cover

A conversation among Whalers
Waterfun

1989 SPORT 15 Cover

Postby Waterfun » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 am

Where can I buy a cover made specifically for a 1989 SPORT 15?

I have called some of the larger cover manufactures and all seem to make a universal type cover that will fit but not made to fit a 1989 15 Sport.

Thanks

jimh

Re: 1989 SPORT 15 Cover

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:26 am

Do you want a cover for the boat for use ONLY when the boat is on a trailer? These covers usually have hold down straps that must be fixed to either the trailer or possibly to an opposing strap coming under the keel of the boat.

Or, do you want a cover for the boat for use when the boat is in the water? These are called mooring covers. They attach only to the hull itself, and are designed to be installed and fitted to the boat while it is in the water. The better covers of this type will use somewhat hidden open-eye hooks concealed under the gunwale lip and have rope loops to hold the hooks. The rope can be either a sewn in elastic rope or a drawstring rope that need to be tightened. These covers will completely cover the deck and overlap the gunwales. The better designed covers allow for the person fitting the cover to escape from the boat in some organized manner so the cover can be fitted if the boat is alongside another boat or at a dock.

Generally all these covers for a open boat like a SPORT 15 or SUPERSPORT 15 will need support poles under the cover so the cover will not sag, pool, and collect rainwater.

What material do you prefer for the cover? For many decades a preferred material has been SUNBRELLA fabric from Glen Raven Mills.

I offer some recent experience I had, and from that experience I would suggest a method you might follow in getting a cover:

I recently had a custom cockpit cover made for my boat. I found the vendor by snooping around all the local marinas, looking for boats that had very nicely done canvas work, and looking for some identifying label from the provider of the canvas. It soon became clear there was one local canvas fabricator who was clearly dominating the market for high-end canvas work. I contacted them, and found their work was in demand and there was a backlog of many months before they could work on my cover. I was able to expedite the work by agreeing to leave my boat at their shop and yard for a month, so they could work on it if some slot opened due to delays with bigger projects. They made an excellent cover for me, incorporating many details and features that I had not anticipated or specified. I am extremely pleased with their work, with the cover, and very happy I undertook having it custom-fitted. Of course, work of this quality and detail does not come cheaply, but I expect the cover to have a useful life of perhaps 20-years, so the expense can be amortized over that time.

The better the cover's fit and the greater the ease of its installation will affect how much you use it. The new cover supplements my old cover, which was only used when the boat was on the trailer. The old cover is now relegated to use for winter storage. The new cover is a great improvement, and can be installed when the boat is in the water with great ease, if I leave the boat on a mooring or a dock for some time unattended.

Waterfun

Postby Waterfun » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:30 am

I am looking for a mooring cover. I have tried all of the big boys on line--Carver, National Cover. They make covers that the boat size fits into but do not make a cover pattern that is custom for this boat.

I don't want to add snaps to the boar so it looks like I may need a "drawstring" type cover with sandbags holding it in place. I was able to contact the original whaler Bimini cover manufacturer but they want $1,000 for a mooring cover.

I was hoping an expert would know a source that carries the cover off-the-shelf that is made for the 15 Sport.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:46 pm

A manufacturer would need a lot of shelves to hold an inventory of covers pre-made specifically to custom fit 29-year-old boats that haven't been made in several decades.

If you spoke to Wm. J. Mills & Co. about a mooring cover for a 1989 Sport 15, then you have already found a vendor that meets your requirements for custom fitting. Their quote of $1,000 seems appropriate for a mooring cover that was made from Sunbrella and can cover an area roughly 15-feet by 7-feet, custom-fitted to a particular shape. Good canvas is not cheap. The Sunbrella material is expensive, and skilled craftsmen are usually well paid if their trade is in demand.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Waterfun wrote:Where can I buy a cover made specifically for a 1989 SPORT 15?

I have called some of the larger cover manufactures and all seem to make a universal type cover that will fit but not made to fit a 1989 15 Sport.

Thanks

With or without rails, bow rail or not, bench seat? etc. please use the link below to narrow it down.
look here https://www.iboats.com/shop/boat-covers.html?find=boston-whaler-15-sport-side-console-side-rails-o-b-motor-hood-1980---2002-10150842&finder=22 and start over picking your specific model.
It might not be truly custom but the one I bought fit perfect end stays on when trailering at highway speeds and covers my motor. No complaints I went with 10 year warranted material (not top of the line Sunbrella but also not bottom of the line.
Take a look at this picture https://photos.app.goo.gl/oEWSDmHTvw9KqYgI2 of course the picture shows tied off to trailer but the cover comes with drawstring hemmed in the bottom to tighten under the rub rail.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:16 am

Waterfun -- You've done your homework. In your situation I would choose a Sunbrella cover in your choice of color from a Carver Covers dealer for $588 less any current discounts available.

Why Carver? I've owned a handful of Carvers over several years. All were near perfect fit and very well constructed. The Sunbrella is exceptionally durable with good fade resistance. There are enough loops around the perimeter to allow for almost any type of weights if needed for a boat kept on a mooring. The covers also have a drawstring around the perimeter which can be drawn quite tightly. Optional kits are available for adding vents and/or support poles to handle any sag. The vents are designed to rest atop the support poles but are light enough not to require any support. The vents on our 190 Montauk are not supported.

Service from Carver is excellent both before and after the sale.

I expect you would be pleased with a cover from Carver. The only possibly better option is a custom locally fabricated cover for more money.
Butch