Do Old 13-foot Hulls Have Collector Value

A conversation among Whalers
smallcal

Do Old 13-foot Hulls Have Collector Value

Postby smallcal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Does [a 1961 13 STANDARD ] with [1971] Holsclaw trailer and no console have collector value?.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

jimh

Re: Do Old 13-foot Hulls Have Collector Value

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Is the stencil number on the transom intact?

smallcal

Postby smallcal » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 am

Sorry, must have missed something in the rules of the site due to the modifications of the original post, but not looking for an appraisal, was just looking for insight on whether it was collectible. Sorry for any confusion.

[ Moderator's note: the rules for MARKETPLACE are given in an article at the top of the forum listing called "Marketplace Rules." See http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13 ]

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 am

Re the topic: MARKETPLACE is NOT for discussions. I will move this thread to THE GAM. I will change the topic to reflect that you want to discuss the collector value of old 13-foot hulls in general, and do not want an appraisal of your hull or to offer your boat for sale.

Re the backstory of how you acquired the boat you don't want to offer for sale or have appraised (which I elided when you posted to MARKETPLACE): unless there is very unusual provenance in the history of ownership of a particular boat, and proper evidence to support it, I don't see that a particular hull has added value, except to the original owner or his family. If you were a kid in the 1960's and your family had a particular 13-footer, that hull would be more valuable to you than to me.

In general, I think the owner who might get the most value from an old 13-footer would be the original owner.

If there were strong proof that the hull had been owned by the same guy for 60-years, it might add value.

If the original owner were some person of renown, say Dick Fisher or Bob Dougherty or Jerry Seinfeld, maybe that provenance adds value.

That someone bought an old Whaler a few years ago and now wants to sell it because they think it is a collectable: not so much chance for a profit.

Re older hulls being collectable in general:

I only know of a very few instances where a premium price was paid for a 13-foot hull due to its age or its stencil number.

Several years ago the Boston Whaler company found a very old 13-foot hull, c.1959. The extremely early manufacturing date made the hull have added value to Boston Whaler because they wanted to use it as a brand promotion.

Boston Whaler spent probably $20,000 or more in labor and materials in their plant, restoring the hull to like-new condition. They exhibited this very early hull at a big trade show, the Miami International Boat Show in 2008, their 50th anniversary year. They gave it back to the original owner when they were done.

Before that, a long-time east coast dealer bought a very old 13-foot hull that had been beautifully restored by its owner, and they paid quite a nice price for it, much more than a typical old 13-footer would fetch. One aspect of that boat was it was all-original, including the really ancient boat trailer it was sold with. The dealer put the boat on exhibit at their dealership on the showroom floor to promote the brand.

I don't think there is a extremely big demand for 13-foot hulls that have very old stencil numbers. If you don't have a stencil number, you don't have any authenticity of age. That is why I asked you about the stencil number.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:00 am

See CETACEA PAGE 51 for a good narrative and excellent images of a c.1959 13-footer and its value to the family of the original owner:

Grandfather's Whaler
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetace ... age51.html

For details about the oldest 13-footer, see the youTube video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdB0WX8rO-A

Also see a discussion about that hull in the archives:

FP Hull Number 55
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021391.html

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 pm

In my neck of the woods, it seems an old 13' is worth at least $1000 no matter the value. For some reason Whalers always seem to command good money and everyone knows a Whaler since they were built in Rockland MA. I've seen 60s vintage Whalers listed for $8000 in mint condition all original, but aside of a collector, I'm not sure anyone that plans on using it would want a boat and motor that old and deal with the problems of dated technology. When I recently sold my 1974 Whaler, I came across a link that valued old Whaler and I was shocked at the values they placed on older boats. It was far higher than I would have thought. I am now looking for this link and will share when I find it.

I was able to sell my 1974 with a 1990 motor and trailer for $5K in the winter and could have held out for more, but just wanted it sold so I could concentrate on other things and not worry about marketing the boat in the spring. It started out as a $400 boat purchase (with trailer) and the motor was another $400 and a 5 month project when I could find the time.

I just got back from the Boston boat show and always like stopping by Mike Borelli's booth from Metan Marine. Over the years I've seen a number of his restorations and can say they are a work of art and finer than anything Whaler shipped from the factory. The wood and hull finish are something one would find on a $1M Hinckley. Mike also sells his 13' at a premium price that amazed me.

D-

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Found the older Whalers on Hagerty and think the prices are far too optimistic, but sharing anyway. Go to their site and you can plug in year and model.

D-

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:31 am

Good luck getting any of those prices.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 am

If you only have one item to sell, then you only need to find one buyer willing to pay the price.

Warren Buffet once remarked that the measure of good product was how easily you could raise its price.