Boston Whaler Survives Mud Slide in California

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Boston Whaler Survives Mud Slide in California

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 am

A deadly mudslide in Montecito, California, swept a Boston Whaler boat and trailer on a half-mile journey downhill.

stopPosition.jpg
The boat came to rest against this travel trailer near Highway 101.
stopPosition.jpg (42.89 KiB) Viewed 7165 times

Were it not for the collision with the travel trailer, the boat might have gone all the way to the Pacific Ocean. The boat trailer was later found, and the boat and trailer hauled back to the owner, Bradley Vickers.

boatOwner.jpg
Bradley Vickers and his Boston Whaler, back home and back on the trailer.
boatOwner.jpg (46.04 KiB) Viewed 7165 times

The boat sustained some damage at the bow, but otherwise appears to have survived--and remained afloat in the mud.

hullDamage.jpg
Hull damage was limited to this area on a forward chine.
hullDamage.jpg (45.01 KiB) Viewed 7165 times

Don SSDD

Re: Boston Whaler Survives Mud Slide in California

Postby Don SSDD » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Boat is surprisingly intact considering the bend in the trailer tongue and the chunk out of the side of the boat.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

Wavehopper

Postby Wavehopper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:59 pm

At Bradley's request my fishing partner, Hank Goebel, and I inspected his Boston Whaler Montauk 17' on Saturday.

We all agreed that boats are material objects that can be replaced. What is important is that Bradley and his wonderful family were not harmed in this tragic mudslide. For that we are all very thankful.

Bill
Last edited by Wavehopper on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wavehopper

Postby Wavehopper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 pm

It is sad to see any Boston Whaler cut up and thrown away, but the hull integrity of Bradley's boat was badly compromised. A closer inspection revealed structural damage that extended from the outer hull to the inner decks.

Boating safety is a high priority. If we repaired the visible damage to the boat's hull there is a possibility that it would not hold up to the harsh pounding from heavy seas.

Bradley's family was very fortunate to have survived the fires and deadly mudslides in Montecito, California. It would be reckless to place them in a boat that could have unseen structural damage.

When they have recovered from this disaster and are once again ready for a boat, we will gladly help them locate the perfect Boston Whaler for their family. An 18' Outrage springs to mind.

Bill

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:58 am

Even with the hull deemed a total loss, there remains considerable value in the rest of the boat. The railings, fittings, navigation lamps, windshield, console, reversible pilot seat, canvas covers, and other components of the classic MONTAUK appear to have survived with little if any damage and retain substantial value.

Wavehopper

Postby Wavehopper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 am

Jim--you are absolutely correct.

Hank and I looked over every component on Bradley's Montauk making him aware of items that we felt were salvageable. We gave him our estimate of their value and suggested that he remove them from the boat and post them on "Continuouswave" and "Craigslist".

The outboard motor held up surprisingly well considering that it plowed in to an Airstream camper trailer prop-first.

The center console and RPS seat were also in excellent condition.

Those were the big ticket items that Bradley could easily sell to recoup some of his losses.

Then we examined smaller items of value such as the navigation lamp, and stainless steel fixtures.
The bow rail and its stanchions were badly damaged, however both side rails were salvageable.

I am certain that Bradley took the time to remove these items prior to saying goodbye to his Montauk.

Bill

mdplunkett

Postby mdplunkett » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi Bill--please send me Bradley's mailing address. I'm glad he and his family are safe, but the loss of his Whaler must be a blow. I thought I could send him a copy of my book to hold him over until he gets a new one.

Feel free to email me: thewhalerbook@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Matthew Plunkett

Author, "Unsinkable: The History of Boston Whaler"

Wavehopper

Postby Wavehopper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Mathew

I have a copy of your book "Unsinkable, The History of Boston Whaler".
I really enjoyed reading it.

It is very generous of you to offer to send Bradley Vickers a copy.

His mailing address is:

Bradley Vickers
152 Santa Isabel Lane
Montecito, Ca. 93108

mdplunkett

Postby mdplunkett » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Happy to do it. Glad you enjoyed the book, as well.

-mdp

vscatena

Postby vscatena » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Sad to see this type of loss after much needed rainfall in California. Glad to know Brad and his family are safe and he will at least be able to get something for the damage.