Boston Boat Show, Boston Whaler

A conversation among Whalers
dtmackey

Boston Boat Show, Boston Whaler

Postby dtmackey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Went to the Boston Boat show this weekend--always a fun time. Every year I go, I'm reminded that boat prices are in the elite category normally reserved highly inflated medical costs or college tuition. A 21' Grady priced at $97,000 is just crazy and that's with a $10,000 boat show discount.

Boston Whaler was there with a big display and the salespeople were polite and professional as in past years. Maybe it's just me, but I can't get excited for the designs of the newer boats and the lack or character. I'm probably showing my age with that comment, but I prefer the classic lines on of the sport series and that is lost in the newer 13 to 17-feet boats.

I will say the 170 and 190 models had price points that surprised me--and less than I would have thought--but they looked a bit like a Carolina Skiff boat: big and rectangular with minimal deadrise. Don't get me wrong, build quality was top notch, but in that size range other boats have a deeper-V hull and better options.

I guess I'll stick with the classics.

D-

Mambo Minnow

Re: Boston Boat Show, Boston Whaler

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:19 pm

Wish the Boston Show wasn’t always right before Miami. No mention of the new 3.4L V-6 Mercury’s on the floor

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Although I prefer the styling of the Classic Boston Whalers I can trade the traditional for the functionality of the new boats.
Butch

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:43 am

Butch:

I agree with your thinking on the newer Whalers although I have to confess that after attending the Miami Boat Show that I just fell in love all over again with the new Montauk 170. The new improvements at least for me put it over the top when I compare it with my 190.

I feel that the interior roominess of the 170 is almost as big as my 190 with my much hated baitwell (at least for me). The rear seating, the fish box in the front, all are much wanted features which I wish my 190 had. And with my interest in downsizing due to getting up in the years dept I kinda feel it’s a win win all the way around.

I already put my 190 up for sale, let’s see what happens? Anyway I’ll give it a month, if it doesn’t sell or can’t get my asking price I’ll just keep it and enjoy it as best I can!

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm

Fred -- I seem to remember you recently repowered your Montauk. Unless the used boat market in Puerto Rico is quite different than ours here on the continent you could take a big hit. BTW which area do you use for launching most often?

I hope to see the new offerings at our Mobile, AL Boat show on March 2nd. Although the flu situation may keep me away. The good thing about going on Friday is that attendance is sparse, still..., I'm very close to 78 now and too busy to be ill..
Butch

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 pm

Butch: I repowered in 2010 8 years ago, and as I mentioned if I don’t get my price I’ll keep it so either way I win although I really would like to get the 170!

If I stay with the 190 I will have to look for a new trailer as mine is getting pretty worn out. My boating area in PR is on the Southern part of the island, Guayama to be specific. Lovely area lots of small cay’s to visit and just relax.

The market for boats down here is much higher then in the states. As an example I bought a brand new 1998 17’ Whaler for $18,500 and used it for 10 years and sold it in 2008 for $18,000! I also purchased a new 1985 15’ SS for $9500 used it 13 years and sold it for $10,000. Both boats were in pristine condition. Hope to do the same with my 190, we shall see!

Fred

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 am

When we were stationed in the Dominican Republic 1983 thru 1985 we frequently had to visit Roosevelt Roads (RR) for medical, dental and administrative support. A couple of times we spent a few days there on leave and rented a car to explore the areas around RR and San Juan. The island is a gem and the waters looked wonderful. I was running a Corps of Engineers floating power plant moored in San Pedro De Macoris on the southern coast. It was a great experience and helped me become a proficient Spanish speaker. Unfortunately 33 years later I've lost my proficiency.

We had a 24 foot tender on the power plant and it was essential to test it weekly to ensure it was mission ready. It wasn't a Boston Whaler but pretty decent for a work boat. The fish didn't seem to mind.
Butch

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Butch:

I love the DR, beautiful place my favorite after PR,
Great food and a couple of other things....