2018 170 Montauk Prices

A conversation among Whalers
Dek77

2018 170 Montauk Prices

Postby Dek77 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 pm

I have long dreamed of owning a Boston Whaler and finally think now is the right time. But I am being put off by the dealer network.

I have decided I would like to order a new 2018 Montauk to my specifications. My nearest dealer is saying the best he can do is to have no prep-cost fee, take a few hundred bucks off MSRP (which includes freight). then to add a $300 filing fee for paperwork. Basically his best price is MSRP plus sales tax and registration. He won’t entertain throwing in free or discounted options. He says it makes no difference that he doesn’t have to finance it, use his floor plan or take up space in his showroom. It doesn’t matter even if I pay in advance. He also says he won’t throw in any servicing or safety packages without increasing the price. Basically he refuses to negotiate at all.

He also says no rebates apply to ordered boats, and, if I want $1,000 off under latest promo, I have to take his floor model; and I would have to close on it by month end.

I tried calling a couple of other dealers that are a little further away and they both said they had territories and didn’t want to talk price with me, that I should talk to my nearest dealer.

All of this sounds very shady to me and is putting me off buying a Boston Whaler. I am thinking maybe Pioneer, Key West, Robalo, Scout, Carolina Skiff. Basically anything to avoid these shady antics.

Am I judging too harshly?

Is this similar to other people’s experiences with Boston Whaler for new model orders?

Or, am I being treated unfairly?

Should I drive well outside my market to find someone more reputable?

Any recommendations in the Midwest or the South?

Thanks for your thoughts.

frontier

Re: 2018 170 Montauk Prices

Postby frontier » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:40 pm

Is this a big chain boat dealership?

Are you talking to top management?

I can't imagine an owner-operator dealership speaking to a customer like that.

I'd sure try to find a family-owned dealership and talk to the owner.

And, call Boston Whaler direct in Florida and tell them you're getting lousy service from your local dealer. They want to know about bad dealers. They know how important a happy customer is.

The current promotion says "From January 1 through February 28, enjoy factory savings on popular Whaler models across the lineup" - doesn't say "in stock only."

You mentioned other boats. Don't settle for less than a Boston Whaler. The best is worth it.

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:51 am

I have found the larger national dealers can be difficult to work with. Family dealerships that have been selling Boston Whalers for a long time should make your purchase experience much more enjoyable.

Last year I purchased a 210 Montauk from Hance and Smythe in New Jersey. They have been in business since 1959. I had a great buying experience.

Todd Hance and his sister run the business that their dad started. He is 92 and still comes to the business every day. Todd really helped me with a major project of removing and swapping out the factory installed Mercury outboard for an Evinrude E-TEC.

I spent a lot of time chatting to them about the good "old days" and they have legendary stories of their dad working with Dick Fisher; as both gentlemen where building and running newly started businesses in the early 1960's.
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 am

a $300 filing fee for paperwork

That is padding. I call b.s. to that. Drive to another dealer, don't tell them where you live.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Wirenut

Postby Wirenut » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:36 am

When I was shopping for my 2013 210 Montauk, the owner of my local dealer treated me like I really wasn't serious about purchasing a boat. He wouldn't even give me a realistic or written quote on the boat. I drove to another Boston Whaler dealer 90 miles away who provided me with a written quote for the boat I wanted that was $10,000 cheaper than the verbal quote my local dealer gave me. That's a lot of money. I explained that I was not happy with my local dealer and if I could not purchase a boat from him, I would be switching brands. He sold me the boat. I smile every time I ride by my local dealer.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:26 am

I had an experience very similar to Wirenut's. Our purchase was a 190 Montauk and we saved a huge amount by not accepting our local Marine Max's best offer. We ended up driving from Mobile, AL to St Louis, MO to buy our Montauk from a small family owned and operated dealership.

Back then Google was our friend. We searched far and wide for a Montauk with the exact options we wanted. Then we contacted the dealers and whittled them down to our seller. It was even fun to see how many dealers were out there.
Butch

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:55 am

Dek which area are you located maybe some of us can send you in the right direction.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Dek77

Postby Dek77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I didn’t think I was crazy but wanted to see what others experiences were. I am located in the Midwest so any dealer recommendations in this area would be welcome. That one in St Louis could be a good one, as could any around Kalamazoo where Dutchman is. I really want one of these boats but obviously don’t want to get ripped off. It would be worth a drive for me to get the right deal. Do you recommend calling ahead and negotiating or driving there to show I am serious and trying to strike a deal? Is it better to buy a showroom model or try and order one custom? Thanks again.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Most dealers only have one floor example of a model since the days of floor financing have virtually disappeared.

If the model is an actual 2018 version and NOT the 2017, it is only a few months old.

Boston Whaler does not carry inventory and almost ALL sales are factory orders where the buyer has to wait several months.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:30 pm

If you order a boat with the features you want and nothing more I believe you can expect to pay close to MSRP. Many dealers will include a "Coast Guard Package" as well as some dock lines and perhaps a fender or two. A substantial deposit may be required in case you change your mind or financing falls through. The St Louis seller I used was Lewis Boats http://www.lewisboat.com and you can see their inventory on the web site. Our purchase was in 2010 so management or ownership may have changed. Most dealers will have their inventory on a web site. I recommend you find an in-stock boat that meets your needs most closely rather than order a boat. I believe a dealer will be more flexible selling a boat he has which required some investment to obtain. Getting paid now instead of several weeks from now is an incentive.
Butch

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 pm

If Ohio is with-in range Clemons Boat in Sandusky, OH was been in business since 1966. I have a friend who purchased a Boston Whaler from and was very happy with the experience. http://clemonsboats.com
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 am

DEK77--I have always had great service at Gull Lake Marine, a very old dealership here in West Michigan which has been in business since 1911 and you don't stay in business that long selling bad service and bad products. They treat me (you) very upright.

http://www.gulllakemarine.com/

They go out of their way to give you service. And within minutes you can test drive any of their boat models as they have a lot in stock. I only ever dealt with their Richland location as that is close to the very nice Gull Lake.

I'm sure the other locations will give you the same service and courtesy.

It sounds like you know what you want, you are ready to buy, and you know what it should cost. I'm sure they will deal with you.

Good luck and let us know where/what you end up/with.

And contact me if you want a safety VE done before you tow to wherever you live and boat.

Another 45 days till boating season.
EJO

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 am

That looks like a very good price at Gull Lake Marine on the 2017 180 Dauntless with Optimax power. I would certainly be checking out their inventory.
Butch

smalltauk

Postby smalltauk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:45 pm

I attempted to talk to a dealer outside of my area and found the same as what's been discussed above. I'm outside of their territory and don't want to deal with me. I was interested in one of their leftover 2017's and said that I needed to work with my local dealer. Local dealer is happy to sell me a boat for MSRP plus whatever they feel like adding on. This does not seem above board to me. It's turning me off to BW to be honest. I've been an owner for 10 years now and have started looking at other brands.

Dek77

Postby Dek77 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Yea, I got totally turned off of Boston Whaler by the dealer network. Obviously they don’t need my business because they did absolutely nothing to try and earn it. I really had my heart set on a Whaler but after finding all the dealers I visited in the Chicagoland area to be unhelpful I finally decided to buy a Robalo R180. Way more boat for the same money and the options are priced fairly. The dealer network is friendly, informative and fair. Turned into a no brainer as I drove away from my first visit at the Robalo dealership with some low key but informative guys and one of the Whaler guys calls me up to offer me his “pulling out all the stops best price” which was higher than what his colleague had offered me the day before. Life is too short. I just thought if this is what they are like on the front end when I am about to spend $40,000 on a 17-foot boat I don’t want to see what they are like on the back end if I need warranty support or anything else.

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:24 pm

First of all congrats on your new boat .I am reading your post and experience and I feel you got cheated of chance and experience of owning an American icon . There are hundred of manufacturer but theres only one true love for all of us here. I cant explain you this special bond and sense of incredible pride having whaler as your boat until you own one . One lousy dealership shouldnt cheat you of a chance having this dream making reality.My neighbor had Robalo next sip to mine - late model-was 2014 I think -227 DC-I called him once a week for pop up cleats pulling out of base and lines not keeping boat at dock.Had a chance to see whats underneath. Its good but it aint the same .
You said you only live once - I believe not owning a whaler at least once in lifetime is missing this incredible experience only unsinkable legend will deliver.
I had better boats that Boston Whaler -faster,better ride,prettier. But there was and only will be one boat that makes my heart skip a beat.
There are 4 whaler dealerships in Jersey. One maybe oldest one in a nation. You couldnt find nicer family owned businesses to deal with.I wish you had to deal with them buying your boat.

msirof2001

Postby msirof2001 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:08 am

Seems like they're trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Downright arrogant. I know there is less flexibility on price with smaller models but still, this doesn't seem right. I just purchased an Everglades 295cc and I got a great deal. Besides Everglades, there are a whole bunch of other boats out there that are great, like that Robalo. I don't get it. If you are a dealer angering the customer, you won't build that customer/dealer relationship, oftentimes friendship, that may result in lifetime servicing and potentially more boat purchases further in time. Shake-downs... no good. Maybe the skip a heartbeat feeling would come by restoring an older one.
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:06 am

msirof2001 wrote:Maybe the skip a heartbeat feeling would come by restoring an older one.

I too had many boats but always classics (30 to 40+ years old) and always got compliments and people saying what a nice boat. I still get that with my youngest boat the little Montauk I have.

I understand the frustration and yes the dealer and we should ask what do you want to do with the boat. There are many and many more good all around CC and fishing boats on the market that don't sink and are of great quality (Grady W., Edgewater, Robalo, Sea Hunt, Mako, etc) BW would be competing with and most at a lower price. But for whatever reason you will have a larger percentage of people telling you " What a nice/great boat" when they see you with your Whaler and maybe that is the skip a beat effect.
I would take any boat under 27ft from the brands I mentioned and be a happy boater doing whatever, but none will get as many compliments as a Boston Whaler would get, so maybe you have to pay for the proud factor.
EJO