1982 25 CUDDY

A conversation among Whalers
GoldofSunshine

1982 25 CUDDY

Postby GoldofSunshine » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Hello, new to forum but have visited here frequently.

[I may] buy a [1982] 25 CUDDY boat [that] appears to be in good shape, but [I] noticed on port side at waterline there is some warping--not terrible but noticeable [along] almost the entire length of hull.

[The hull on] starboard side seems fine.

Is [the warping of the hull along the waterline on port side in a c.1982 OUTRAGE] a product of water in hull freezing [and] thawing over the years?

Is this a sign of structural [problems]?

I had a survey done before i actually saw the boat, and the surveyor never mentioned [warping of the hull at the waterline on port side] in his report.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

jimh

Re: 1982 25 CUDDY

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Is the boat a 1982 OUTRAGE 25 CUDDY?

Does the boat have a center console?

Or does it have the forward steering station?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:59 pm

GoldofSunshine wrote:...Is [the warping of the hull along the waterline on port side in a c.1982 OUTRAGE] a product of water in hull freezing [and] thawing over the years?

Is this a sign of structural [problems]?

If you are describing a waviness in the surface of the hull, this defect has been seen in some Boston Whaler hulls. See the FAQ for more information. The FAQ question:

Q10: Is a Wavy Hull Side a Problem?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q10

What is the depth of the waviness measured from trough to crest?

GoldofSunshine

Postby GoldofSunshine » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 am

Thanks for the responses. The boat is a 1982 OUTRAGE CUDDY with center console.

[The depth of the waviness in the hull sides is] at most perhaps an eighth to a quarter of an inch.

Does this condition tend to worsen over time or just stays as is?

Any idea what caused the "contractions of the foam"?

Also, the side of boat says "25 OUTRAGE" but not cuddy. Could that mean cuddy was added later?

Any way to tell from Hull ID Number?

Thanks

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks for providing further details about the boat. This clarifies the model.

This OUTRAGE hull was probably molded in the same manner as other OUTRAGE center console boats, and then an additional superstructure or cap molding was fastened to the forward part of the hull to create the cuddy cabin. Boston Whaler used this method to make variations of their hulls, creating different models. They used the same hull molds to make the REVENGE, the REVENGE WALK-THROUGH, the OUTRAGE, the OUTRAGE CUDDY, the REVENGE CUDDY, and so on. The hulls are the same, but after hull molding the finishing of the boat in production was changed.

The year 1982 may have been the first year for production of an OUTRAGE with a cuddy cabin, so perhaps there were no decals made that said OUTRAGE CUDDY. That could explain the decal on this boat only saying "OUTRAGE" and not "OUTRAGE CUDDY."

I would be extremely surprised to learn that someone other than Boston Whaler added the cuddy cabin to the boat after the boat left the factory.

The federally required hull identification number does not encode any sort of model designation data. For more information about hull identification numbers and the Boston Whaler hull stencil number, see the FAQ answer at

Q2: Where is the Hull Identification Number?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

Boston Whaler has very good records about the manufacture date, model, and original dealer for every boat they have ever made. If you want more information, find the stencil number of the hull and contact Boston Whaler customer support. If you have the hull stencil number you can very likely learn a bit more about the boat.

The boat was molded in 1982. If the waviness in the hull side at the waterline on port were due to a defect in the original manufacture of the boat, and if the severity of the waviness is increasing at a linear rate, and if the present depth of the waviness is 0.125-inch, then the rate of increase is 0.125-inch/36-years, or 0.0034-inch-per-year. If you bought the boat the boat in 2018 then in 2019 the waviness could increase to 0.0128-inch and perhaps continue every year after. You will have to decide if that is a risk you can tolerate.

All the information I have about waviness in the hull side is presented in the FAQ. If I knew the exact reasons why these wavy hull sides were caused, I would put that information in the FAQ.

GoldofSunshine

Postby GoldofSunshine » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Thank you very much for all of the information. I really like the boat but the hull defect is a concern. I wonder what whaler did to fix the problem? I have read that it doesn't effect performance, just more of an aesthetic thing, I am hoping to run the boat in the next two weeks and make a decision.
Again, thanks for your help.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:03 pm

Yes, the "best" used boat is one that is "perfect," but the price will reflect that. If the defect is only cosmetic and only around the waterline, you probably won't even notice it when the boat is in the water. You can alway use the defect as a bargaining point to ask for a reduction in price.

There are people who want their boats to be art objects, and they really don't use them much in the water. Then there are people who want to use their boat, maybe go fishing, get blood and guts all over the boat, salt spray everywhere, smelly bait in the recesses of the hull. The comfort level with (what we hope is just a cosmetic) defect can vary.