130 SUPER SPORT As First Boat

A conversation among Whalers
MattS

130 SUPER SPORT As First Boat

Postby MattS » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, and to Boston Whalers.

I am looking for a boat that will split its time between a small lake, and larger lakes and rivers in the Montreal area. There will will also be vacations to Cape Cod a couple of times per year. Most of the time, there will be with one or two adults, but would like to be able to carry five adults from time to time. I am new to motor boats, but have done a lot of sailing and kayaking.

I am looking for a relatively new, under 10-year-old boat. So far leaning to 130 SUPER SPORT due to many more for sale, and price seems a bit better as this will be my first boat. I don't mind traveling to find the right deal on either model. I have read about ride quality and comfort of each boat.

All that said, I have a couple of questions about the 130 SUPER SPORT.

With a 40-HP engine, will a 130 SUPER SPORT plane with five adults on board?

Can I use 130 SUPER SPORT for tubing with four adults and teenagers aboard? Performance doesn't need to be high, just good enough to get the teenager to spend a few hours with the old people.

All comments are much appreciated!

jimh

Re: 130 SUPER SPORT As First Boat

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:41 am

Small boats are very sensitive to total crew weight due to their empty hull weight being rather low. Adding five adults could add 1,000-lbs to the total boat weight, which represents an enormous increase in total boat weight, perhaps a doubling of total boat weight. Correspondingly, boat speed and ability to get on plane will be very different with five adults aboard compared to one or two.

A 13-foot boat is a nice boat for two people. If you really need a boat that can accommodate five, you should look for something larger.

A 13-foot Boston Whaler boat is a great boat to allow a young boater to operate by themselves.

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:59 pm

I'll echo Jim's comments and say that a 13 is really small for the need you describe. Although you'll probably get by, it will be awkward with that many on board. Does the 13 even have seating for 5? This is coming from a minimalist that uses a 15 Dauntless in the big, blue Pacific ocean. If you can swing a 15 or 17 Montauk, that will be a whole different class of boat. The 13 is more of a mess around boat (or get it done on the bare minimum) whereas the 15/17 Montauks will give you years of service before you get two-footitis. Also, having the ability to drive a boat standing is very frequently underestimated. The 13 will be tough to get out of the bay when you're on vacation. Check out the smaller Dauntlesses as well.

Good luck!

MattS

Postby MattS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Your points about total weight make a lot of sense, and I was not aware of how much this can impact the boat. Buyers remorse could be a big concern as well.

"I guess I'm gonna need a bigger boat!"

Buoy

Postby Buoy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:02 pm

MattS wrote:...I guess I'm gonna need a bigger boat!

An Outrage 18 would be a good boat for your needs, and they can be had for $5,000 and higher. Personally I think five is too many people for a Montauk 17, which typically sports a 90-HP outboard.

Good luck.

MattS

Re: 130 SUPER SPORT As First Boat-follow up

Postby MattS » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:02 pm

After going through the comments on this forum I decided to look for a 150 SUPER SPORT instead of a 130 SUPER SPORT. I just bought a 2016 Supersport 150--looks great and I can't wait to get out on the water--come on Spring!

[Please see your post about Bow Rail installation in REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS where it was moved. Please check your Private Messages when you are logged in. You were sent a notice of the change of forums for the new topic you introduced into this thread. --jimh]