255 Conquest

A conversation among Whalers
Dootch

255 Conquest

Postby Dootch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:28 pm

I am thinking about buying a 255 Conquest, but none of the boats are near me.

Can any [255 CONQUEST owners] give me [opinions] about ride quality?

I would like feedback before I spend time and money checking out these boats. [The boat I may buy] would likely be in a 2002 to 2005 model-year range.

I just sold a 20’ Grady, and a friend of mine just bought an impressive 250 OUTRAGE. I am now looking at Boston Whaler boats, too.

Thanks. I am new to this forum.

jimh

Re: 255 Conquest

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:35 am

You can become acquainted with the 255 CONQUEST from the factory performance report.

The report will give you some information about single-engine or twin-engine power. Older boats, pre-2005, probably will not have VERADO FOURSTROKE power. They may have twin Yamaha 225-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engines re-badged as a Mercury, or single or twin Mercury OptiMax engines, or twin Yamaha 115-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engines re-badged as Mercury engines. Boats from c.2005 may have VERADO power, but those engines will be first-generation models, and somewhat notorious for high fuel consumption.

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Jim has very good point regarding engines: most of the 2002 to 2005 255 Conquest boat you will find will have Optimax engines: complex, fuel-injected, loud engines you either love or hate.

For the true whaler-lover, when introduced in 2002 the 255 Conquest was a somewhat different boat than we were used to seeing come from the factory. It was one of the first hulls designed by a new SeaRay-lead team of designers, and many--including me--hated that curved, non-whaler-looking boat that actually had some problems.

I had one very shortly and had a couple major complains. The 255 Conquest was riding bow-high and needed correction with trim tabs most of the time. The stern had a Euro-transom which took a lot of real estate, so the boat felt more like a 22-footer. The helm felt somewhat cramped. Seats--even adjusted--were pushed too much forward.

The ride was okay once the boat was trimmed right and with twin engines the boat was moving nicely. I have read about negative experience with wiring on the 255, but it has been a while that I had this hull to remember.

After this brief review, I suggest you to take a good look at a 235 Conquest--not confused with a 23 Conquest. The 235 Conquest had a more straight-looking whaler profile, almost identical deck space because of very cleaver stern design with jump seats, and most came with single VERADO FOURSTROKE motors. I think you can find later model 235 Conquest priced the same as an older 255.

When introduced, a 235 Conquest was around $90,000 with nice equipment. I have two friends that owned them, had nothing bad to say about them, and want to keep them for a long time.

Were it my choice, I would get 235 Conquest and never look back--awesome good looking, very spacious walk-around that is, of course, unsinkable.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm

An additional advantage of a 235 CONQUEST: the boat can easily be trailered on the highway without special permitting or use of a monster truck.

The transom design of a 235 CONQUEST allows only for single-engine powering.

TW720HVY

Postby TW720HVY » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Interesting read regarding the Conquest, thanks.

Fuelfish

Postby Fuelfish » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:57 pm

I had a 235 CONQUEST, a 255 CONQUEST, and now a 305 CONQUEST. They are all different boats and the guys did a good job of calling out the differences.

The 235 is much more Whaler-ish in terms of classic lines, but I really liked the 255. The 255 feels like a much much bigger boat on the water and had a lot more creature comforts--for sure. We did a bit of cruising when my son was young, but jamming three in the berth was a bit much.

The 235 felt more like a day fishing boat to me while the 255 had a split personality where you could take a few folks out for a dinner [cruise]. I found the ride on both (235 and 255) to be great and dry in almost all conditions.

The 255 had twin Optimax 150-HP engine, and they were great motors--but they were crazy loud. But that is not a Whaler problem but something to be aware of. I did not love the seats in either (the 235 or 255); they felt really cheap for that level boat. I upgraded to some other plastic seats but still felt cheap but with less money in my bank account.

One thing I loved about both boats is the really good access to the wiring behind the helm. The 255 has so so much storage it was like having a U-haul truck built into the boat. The hatch between the helm seat is seriously bottomless. I kept a Magna grill, a table for the cockpit, a case of water, and foul weather gear in dry bags. How much it would hold was a joke.

I liked both boats but I found the 255 to be so much more boat for the money. However, boat ownership is an arms race. You will find the need to go up, and up, and up, over time.

I find myself looking at 345 CONQUEST listings lately.

Good luck, [either 235 or 255 CONQUEST] will be a good rig.

For me the deciding factor would be whether you are alone or with a single fishing buddy fishing most of the time; or if you have multiple folks or want to do some social things. If the latter, then 255 for sure.

Good luck
Dave