1996 OUTRAGE 24 Ride and Stability

A conversation among Whalers
jefisherman

1996 OUTRAGE 24 Ride and Stability

Postby jefisherman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello all. I am looking at a [1996] OUTRAGE 24 boat that has newer-than-1996 twin four-stroke-power-cycle engines.

On the 1996 24 OUTRAGE how is the ride?

How is the stability?

Does the original fuel tank hold up well in [a 1996 24 OUTRAGE]?

I am also worried about the original fuel tank.

Thank you for any input.

jimh

Re: 1996 OUTRAGE 24 Ride and Stability

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:10 pm

I love the hull design on the 1996 OUTRAGE 24. It is a Van Lancker hull. The original hull design was used for the 23 WALKAROUND--another great Boston Whaler. This hull has a deeper V-hull than the earlier OUTRAGE hulls designed by Bob Dougherty. It takes more horsepower to get up on plane and stay there due to the greater deadrise. The bow entry is finer than the classic-era, and there may be more tendency to bow-steer when running down the front of a big wave in following seas. The classic-era Dougherty hulls go down-wind in big waves like they are on rails, but these deeper V-hulls need more careful attention at the helm. But the deeper V-hulls go upwind better.

These hulls like to run at about 28 to 29-MPH minimum when on plane. We have cruised for many hours in company with one of these hulls, and we always end up running at least 28-MPH to keep them happy and on plane.

The c.1996 boats were expensive, and expensive to build. They have a lot of nice features, more details, and more complexity than classic-era boats--including a head in the center console.

These boats were designed in Florida, built in Florida, and intended to be used in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida. They don't have any teak, any mahogany, or any varnish. They were designed for saltwater use; get them wet and then spray down and rise with fresh water. And that's where you usually find them as used boats--down in Florida or the Carolinas on the coast of the Atlantic. As a result, they have led hard lives. They've been in a lot of sun and a lot of saltwater. They're usually project boats to bring them back to factory-new condition.

By the way, this hull as the 23 WALKAROUND has become something of a highly desired super-model, being the biggest and coolest cabin boat from Boston Whaler that still can be towed on the highway without special permitting due to not wider than 8-foot 6-inch beam. They've been migrating from the Atlantic coast up to the Great Lakes, where in their old age they run a more relaxed schedule, get refurbished, and get more tender loving care from their owners. I think they often get abandoned by their original owners due to the high cost of re-powering them with modern twin engines.

Read my article on Boston Whaler corporate history to get a feeling for the c.1996 era at Boston Whaler.

The Boston Whaler Company
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... haler.html

The general hesitancy on buying any older Boston Whaler boat that needs twin engines is the cost of re-powering. If the engines on the boat you are considering buying are new enough to last for many years, then you might not need an immediate re-power. That will save you about $40,000 or more on new engines. Factor those costs into your decision.

The 1996 OUTRAGE 24 has an 8-foot 6-inch beam, wider than the classic era hulls. Extra beam adds space everywhere, and this is a big boat.

Fuel tank integrity is mostly a function of prior care and use. I don't recall if the tank is welded aluminum or molded polypropylene. Maybe an owner can comment.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:30 am

Regarding the stability of a 1996 OUTRAGE 24 boat, I don't know what sort of data you are seeking. I have never seen any literature published by Boston Whaler (or any recreational boat manufacturer) that discloses test data for stability of the hull in any form. Recreational boat hulls usually are not described as having a particular metacentric height, roll stability, or righting moment, as would be given for a ship hull.

On any relatively light, shallow draft, and open cockpit moderately deep V-hull, the stability would be significantly affected by weight added above deck level, such as people, gear, coolers, hard tops, canvas, outriggers, and so on, and its placement. If four guys that weight over 200-lbs all go to the same side and stand at the gunwale, you can reasonably expect the hull to list to that side.

Engine weight and fuel weight would also influence stability. If the boat is rigged with twin engines that weigh 600-lbs each, has 150-lbs of batteries at the transom, and has a full tank of fuel with 700-lbs or more, you can expect those weight to influence the hull trim.

As a general rule hulls with very deep deadrise at the stern are prone to low initial roll resistance when adrift. I have stepped onto and off a 23 WALKAROUND--same hull--and not noticed any particularly tendency for poor lateral stability. I haven't been on one for six hours adrift in a ocean swell while angling, so I have no idea what the hull does in those conditions.

jefisherman

Postby jefisherman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Thank you Jimh for the reply.

The 1996 OUTRAGE 24 has twin Suzuki DF175 engines, and I assume the boat should move very well.

I read some stuff in here some saying the OUTRAGE 24 pounded. Others say the OUTRAGE 24 is a dry good ride.

I use to have a older OUTRAGE 25 from c.1986 with twin Evinrude 150 engine. The OUTRAGE 25 skipped across the water well.

But the hull looks different on this 1996 OUTRAGE 24. It seems to have a deeper V-hull, but the entry doesn't look it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:45 am

As I mentioned earlier, the hull on a classic c.1985 OUTRAGE 25 is a completely different hull design than the hull on a 1996 OUTRAGE 24. The 1996 OUTRAGE 24 hull will have more deadrise at the stern and a finer bow entry. As a result, the ride characteristics will be different between the two models

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:46 am

While not affecting the ride and stability, the center console on the 1996 OUTRAGE 24 is beautiful. I think it one of the best center consoles designs used by Boston Whaler. It is a work of art. Can you tell I like this model?

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:27 am

jimh wrote:...read my article on Boston Whaler corporate history to get a feeling for the c.1996 era at Boston Whaler.

The Boston Whaler Company
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... haler.html

That is a great read on the history of Boston Whaler.

jefisherman

Postby jefisherman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:49 am

Jimh great info thank you, yes I see you really like that model. With twin 175 SUZUKI engine what kind of high-end cruise speed do you think would be possible?

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:16 pm

With 350-HP it should be really fast.

Tell me the total boat weight, and I can estimate the top speed.

Here is a rough guess: the total boat weight will be 5,800-lbs. Using the method proposed by naval architect George Crouch and mentioned by fellow naval architect Dave Geer in his terrific book PROPELLER HANDBOOK published by International Marine, and subsequently developed by me into an interactive calculator, unfortunately not presently available on the website, I will give the 1996 OUTRAGE 24 a hull factor constant of 180 and see what comes out:

LBS=5800
HP=350
HULL CONSTANT = 180
MPH (predicted top speed) = 44

If you have some data for the OUTRAGE 24 hull with other weights and horsepower, we could use that data to get a better estimate for the hull constant. I chose 180 because that is fairly typical for moderate V-hull boats. Since the OUTRAGE 24 hull is a bit deeper V-hull it might have a lower hull constant. If a better estimate for the hull is 175, then the speed with that weight and horsepower would drop to 43-MPH.

I consider 44-MPH to be "really fast" because generally you can't run that fast in any sort of sea state in a 24-foot boat--unless you don't mind taking a pounding. I cruise around 27-MPH.

I already mentioned that the VanLancker hull will want to cruise at 28-MPH or faster. I base this on getting about a zillion calls on the radio when trying to run our cruising fleet at 27-MPH, all from the guys with the 23 WALKAROUND hulls and twin engines, asking if we could please bump up the fleet cruising speed a bit so they can maintain their boats on plane. You have to go that fast to generate enough lift from the hull form. If you want slower planing speeds you will have to get a boat with a flatter bottom.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:48 pm

By the way, there nothing MAGIC in calculating these estimates. Let me show you how to do it the old fashioned way.

Let's use the three factors I used above:

HP=350
LBS=5800
HULL CONSTANT = 180

The Crouch's method predicts the boat speed will be the product of the HULL CONSTANT times the square-root of the HP:LBS ratio. Thus:

MPH = HULL CONSTANT × (HP/LBS)0.5
MPH = 180 × (350/5800)0.5
MPH = 180 × 0.0603448275862070.5
MPH = 180 × 0.245651842220259
MPH = 44.2

The "calculator" just does that simple math for you; the magic is all in what numbers you enter and Crouch's basic assumptions about boat speed for moderate speed planing hulls, horsepower, and weight.

This method is very useful. Let's say we want to know how much horsepower will be needed to keep the boat on plane at 29-MPH. Then we solve for HP. That is just some algebra to re-arrange the original equation. For

LBS=5800
MPH= 29
HULL CONSTANT = 175

the method predicts

HP = 160

jefisherman

Postby jefisherman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Jimh, your replies are very detailed. Thank you for your time. A guy says [the OUTRAGE 24 under discussion with twin 175-HP engine can accelerate to] 50 and cruise at 35 to 38.

msirof2001

Postby msirof2001 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:37 pm

I extensively studied that hull. In late 1994, I purchased a 1995 OUTRAGE 21 which was also a Van Lancker hull. I had a certain budget and every which way I looked at it, I couldn't afford the 24. My OUTRAGE 21 was great in the ocean. The OUTRAGE 24 has yet a deeper hull.

The OUTRAGE 24 dry-weight is 3,300-lbs. Engines probably add 900-lbs. A full tank adds 1,200-lbs. I think jimh's estimate of 5,800-lbs is about right.

One interesting thing about the OUTRAGE 24 is the 195-gallon fuel tank; that's 11-gallons more than my Everglades 295cc.

I'm guessing you'll get about 2.5-MPG.

Everything on the Outrage 24 is amazing. Bigger electronics box, cavernous fish holds. The head is nice although it pales in comparison to today's models which sacrifice fuel tank for a deeper head compartment.

The Orange County Sheriff, Newport Beach, California, purchased the commercial version. They put on twin Yamaha F200XB engines. That is maximum-rating for horsepower. The boat is rated 200 to 400-HP. I remember people saying a single 250-HP two-cycle was really not enough. Having 350-HP should be fine.

Things to watch (based on owning the OUTRAGE 21 sister ship):

--if repowered, was the wiring and rigging redone
--wiring could be old.
--were there hull repairs
--get the boat's history
--condition of 195-gallon fuel tank. (If it needs to be replaced, at least there is a seam where you can lift the deck out and replace. That's pretty major but at least won't involve cutting.)

[The OUTRAGE 24 is a] great boat, and it and the Offshore 27 are my two favorite Whalers.
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.

JSK55

Postby JSK55 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Having owned a 1994 24 Outrage for 15 years I can assure you a single 250-HP engine is plenty of power. Full fuel, a Tee-top, a four-stroke kicker engine, and a weeks worth of camping gear still afford good performance, 32 to 34-nautical-miles-per-hour (39-MPH).

It's a great hull in many conditions, and runs into a head wind with 1 to 2-feet chop with ease. Above two-footers you will slow down. Running down wind make sure your tabs are fully retracted and the boat handles well. I don't agree the boat needs to run 28, at least not the case with a single outboard. Mine is real happy at 22 to 25-nautical-miles-per-hour [which is 28.75-MPH--jimh]. Fuel capacity of 195 gallons provides amazing range, and the boat is super-stable, especially with a full fuel tank.

We've set ours up for camping having a Wm J. Mills & Co. Forward Shelter and floor insert forward, making enough room for a queen air mattress. The porta-potti and fresh water tank in the center console are a great addition. People can't believe how much under deck storage the boat has. You can put all of your camping and cooking gear below deck during the day and pull it out at night, except the cooler of course.

It has been a great boat for us and we plan to pull it behind our newly acquired 40-foot convertible this summer. Not sure how that'll go but we'll give it a try. Let me know if I can provide any additional insight. The Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 24 will not disappoint.

JSK55

Postby JSK55 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 pm

To add regarding fuel tank. It is not in its own cavity. The rear of the fuel tank is open to the rear bilge. No water to get blocked in the cavity. My boat's fuel tank stays super dry, and each winter I open all of the deck plates to afford good ventilation. To replace the tank wouldn't be the worst job, but it would involve unbolting and sliding the center console forward 6-inches to remove the fuel tank cover.

I've seen fuel tanks much more difficult to replace.

So far my fuel tank is fine, but I'm diligent about running only non-enthanol fuel and pumping the tank as dry as possible each winter.

JSK55

Postby JSK55 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Fuel tank is welded aluminum. The 24 Outrage has a swamped capacity of 8,500 lb, only eclipsed by the 27 Offshore of the same era. You can tell by spending hours in the boat, in varying condintions that the boat has a lot of foam in it. 3-4 people standing on the same side and the boat barely lists... We've had as many as 10 people aboard, ferrying from shore, and amazing how little effect it had. Yes, I am a fan...

msirof2001

Postby msirof2001 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Below is a link to an article about the Orange County Sheriff (Newport Beach) boats.

https://www.ocregister.com/2014/02/19/modern-patrol-fleet-additions-hit-the-water/

I see these sheriff boats in Newport all the time. Very slick. Notable difference, the commercial version have a 125-gallon fuel tank vs. the recreational version 195-gallon tank.

And the commercial version has a center console more like my 21 OUTRAGE without the head.

They claimed 50-MPH on glassy salt water with the 400-HP. I would imagine with 350-HP, [speeds in the] mid-to-upper 40's aren't out of the question.

Cruise is probably around 28 to 30-nautical-miles-per-hour.

I can't say enough good things about the 1993-1997 OUTRAGE 24.

Also, the Orange County Sheriff took factory delivery sporting Yamahas.
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 am

The reports above about boat speeds mix between MPH and nautical-miles-per-hour.

All my mentions of boat speeds are in statute miles per hour or MPH.

When I said the guys I cruise with want to run 28-MPH or more to stay on plane, you can convert that to nautical-miles-per-hour by dividing by 1.1515. Thus my remarks about 28-MPH are the equivalent of 24.3-nautical-miles per hour. And I am talking about the 23 WALKAROUND, the same hull but with more weight forward due to the cabin superstructure. They may need more speed to stay on plane than an open boat like an OUTRAGE because the hull has to generate more lift to keep the forward part of the hull, now heavier, up and out of the water.

My estimate of a total boat weight of 5,800-lbs is just a wild guess. If we strip the boat of all superfluous stuff and get total weight down to 4,800-lbs, and we get up on a really nice plane where the hull constant is 180, and we have 400-HP, then the boat speed prediction according to Crouch's method says the boat will go 52-MPH or 45-nautical-miles-per-hour.

If you want to go really fast on a boat you need to have a lot of horsepower and not much weight. But I don't think the attraction of any Boston Whaler boat is going to be its top speed. No one ever bought a Boston Whaler boat because they thought it was a go-fast boat.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Sun May 27, 2018 8:49 pm

I have a 1993 23 Walkaround with a 250 Honda ( no bracket, motor mounted directly to transom). Top speed is an even 40 mph spinning a Powertech OFS4 15.25 x 17 4 blade prop at 5800 rpm. My normal fast cruise is 28-29 mph at 4500 rpm, but I can run efficiently just as easily at 12 mph with the tabs extended fully and engine tucked all the way in without sacrificing much fuel economy.
I have 3 batteries in the bilge between the helm seats instead of the rear compartments, moving even more of the weight forward. Boat used to have twin 150's and ran 46-47 mph with about 800 lbs on the transom versus about 650 now.
I think 250 horsepower is more than adequate on this hull if you're not a speed demon.

6992WHALER

Postby 6992WHALER » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:40 pm

The 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive boat with 400-HP that Jim is talking about has a top speed of 56-MPH.

Pjwelch73

Postby Pjwelch73 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:11 am

I have a [1995] OUTRAGE 24 with a VERADO FOURSTROKE 350 and a Bob's extreme jack plate.

We mount the cooler on the folded door on the back.

We love the OUTRAGE 24. We turned an unused mooring cover into a tent up to the [center console] with netting aft. We have taken the OUTRAGE 24 from Naples, Florida (via Key West as well as Lake Okochobee) through most of the Eastern seaboard up to Chatham, Massachusetts, living aboard for weeks at a time--super fun. I am so happy to see we are not the only ones that don't just fish on an OUTRAGE 24.

[To JSK55 who last commented in April of 2018, about eight months ago]:

--Your boat sounds like a wonderful boat.

--What is the "floor insert forward" you mean. I would love to see a picture.

--Have you fixed your floors or replaced the fuel tank?

--Happy cruising.

JSK55

Postby JSK55 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:16 pm

PJ--To answer your questions:

--unfortunately the boat is stored for the winter and located off-site and I have no pictures available.

--I built a platform that extends the level of the bow storage hatches all the way to the forward edge of the center consol. It is basically 8 inches tall, 18 inches wide (filling the space between the hatches and consol) and 90 inches wide. I got the idea after reading an article on Continuous Wave authored by LHG a longtime Whaler enthusiast who had outfitted his 25 Outrage for extended cruising. He provided many great ideas that I was able to incorporate into our 24 including a 14-gallon fresh water shower. We added a Mills Forward Shelter and custom-made drop curtain that fully encloses the forward area, fitting a queen-size air bed. As you know the 24 Outrage has great storage so we are able to put all of our sleeping and cooking gear away during the day. Many people that we encounter can't believe we are able to store everything below deck except our cooler.

--I have not yet had to replace my fuel tank.

--all floor hatches are in great condition with no signs of delamination.

It has been a great boat for our use and still love it after 15 years. Looking forward to re-power with a four-stroke enigne one day.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Pjwelch73

Postby Pjwelch73 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:38 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. We use our 24 in very similar fashion. It was re-powered about a year ago with a single 350 and a jack plate. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions about a re-power like propeller size.
Take care.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:36 am

The idea of a forward platform in an open Boston Whaler boat was introduced by Boston Whaler c.1961 in the SAKONNET model. If you bought a SAKONNET you got a wooden bow platform that was shaped to fit into the bow and created a level floor there, also wrapping around the sides of the console. That platform was made of pine wood and was painted white. LHG made a similar platform for his OUTRAGE 18, but crafted it from nice teak lumber. Later he also made one for his OUTRAGE 25. These platforms were functional and very attractive, although at today's prices for teak lumber, they will be rather expensive projects.

The Wm. J. Mills & Co. developed the "Weather Set" of canvas curtains for the Boston Whaler boat, including the Forward Shelter, the Windshield, the Side Curtains, and the Drop Curtain. These were available in the 1960's for the 16-foot model. Many other models had Weather Set canvas available. Mills generally used Glen Raven Mills SUNBRELLA fabric, which has excellent properties and holds up to rain and spray very well, particularly when treated with a waterproofing spray.

The rather wide bow of a Boston Whaler classic OUTRAGE hull is the real genesis of being able to sleep comfortably there. The pointy-bow of many newer Boston Whaler OUTRAGE designs has reduced the area available for sleeping in the bow to a rather narrow berth.

moabelite

Postby moabelite » Fri May 29, 2020 5:07 pm

This forum topic has been exceptionally helpful to me. I am the new and proud owner of 1996 Outrage 24 with twin 1996 Yamaha 200-HP outboard engines with 240 hours. The operation and performance details outlined make me excited to get aboard a soon as I can retrieve the boat from Sarnia, Ontario, and deliver to her new home in Holland, Michigan.

Undoubtedly in the future I will pose questions here on continouswave about the 1996 OUTRAGE 24 boat and Yamaha engines.

I am grateful for the continouswave resources.

conch

Postby conch » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:47 am

Moabelite can you please post pictures of your 1996 OUTRAGE 24 when you bring her home. I would like to see your 1996 OUTRAGE 24 in the water with fuel tanks at FULL level. You sound like you will enjoy this hull.

Are the Yamaha engines V6 two-stroke-power-cycle engines?

Chuck

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:23 am

moabelite wrote:...excited to get aboard a soon as I can retrieve the boat from Sarnia, Ontario, and deliver to her new home in Holland, Michigan.

If you will be moving the boat to Holland from Sarnia on her own bottom via Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, you will discover a great deal about the ride and stability of the OUTRAGE 24 hull. You will also discover the thirst for gasoline that occurs with twin 200-HP engines.

If moving the boat by trailer, you will discover the awful condition of highways in Michigan right after winter and the annoyance of many road construction projects trying to patch them up.

moabelite

Postby moabelite » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:53 pm

jimh—Even Worse!
I've discovered that it is nearly August and she's still stuck in Sarnia. Planning to trailer her over these lovely Michigan highways whenever the importer can get her here. I recently abandoned hope of waiting for the border to open.

Wish me luck.

moabelite

Postby moabelite » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 pm

conch wrote:Moabelite can you please post pictures of your 1996 OUTRAGE 24 when you bring her home. I would like to see your 1996 OUTRAGE 24 in the water with fuel tanks at FULL level. You sound like you will enjoy this hull.

Are the Yamaha engines V6 two-stroke-power-cycle engines?

Chuck

Happily, Chuck - Apologies that i missed your request - will post photos whenever I get her in the water!
She is powered with V6 two stroke engines:

IMG_2309.jpg
IMG_2309.jpg (87.98 KiB) Viewed 12380 times

EdwardGoldstein

Postby EdwardGoldstein » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:53 pm

looks great