1998 13 GLS missing parts

A conversation among Whalers
rryan14

1998 13 GLS missing parts

Postby rryan14 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:39 am

This week I just purchased my first Boston Whaler: a 1998 GLS 13 in mostly very good condition. I have wanted a Whaler all my life so here I am at last.

There are just a few parts that are missing that I can't find by internet searching. I've managed to find cushions and hardware for classic whalers (and for newer 2000-2008 years) but not for this model--it's as if the 1998 GLS is from an alternative universe of Boston Whaler models. Specifically, what I am looking for are:

--Brackets that hold the fiberglass bench seat (the one that is in front of the console) to the cockpit coamings. Right now, the seat is just sitting loosely (convenient for moving it off/on - but a bit dangerous).

--The rectangular, chrome, inset latch on the forward anchor locker hatch cover (missing altogether).

--Or, ideally, the entire fiberglass hatch and latch: the one I have has split from underneath and might not be easily repairable. I can find mahogany hatches but not fiberglass molded hatches.

--A single backrest cushion; this model has a partial seat back on the captain's side. Speciality Marine has seat back cushion sets for the 2000-2008 but I only need the single, smaller cushion.

--A bench seat cushion and bow cushion. I have found cushions to fit the classic whaler mahogany seats or for 2000 to 200, but not this one. I imagine that the bench seats are probably the same but the bow looks a little different.

--And finally, this model's seat back is hollow for storage. The former owner (or maybe it came from the factory this way) glued some thin plastic pieces on the inside bottom and sidewalls of the seat back -- maybe to look "good" or simply to grip items? It looks pretty terrible right now after ripping out the glued insert pieces. I'm not sure what to do short of sanding inside and painting with a marine paint Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you in advance - RPR

jimh

Re: 1998 13 GLS missing parts

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 am

For advice on upholstery replacements, see

Original Equipment Manufacturers and
Recommended Vendors

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... upholstery

If you follow the links provided, you should end up at

http://amfg.us/13-gls/

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:33 am

It will be extremely unlikely that there is any aftermarket source of a fiberglass molded part like a hatch cover for a Boston Whaler boat made in 1998. The market for such parts would be extremely small, and any fabricator would never have these parts on the shelf waiting for a customer.

It will also be extremely unlikely that Boston Whaler retains the molds for that part, as it is a 20-year-old boat model. I might be wrong, and they still have the mold, but I would anticipate that the cost to have them make you a new molded hatch would be rather high. You could inquire with Boston Whaler Customer Service.

Please realize that Boston Whaler Customer Service is the GOLD STANDARD of customer service, not just for old fiberglass boats, but across most all manufacturing. Call Boston Whaler Customer Service and ask them if there is a replacement part available. You never know what they might have to say. But I would prepare to be disappointed; there is a good chance they won't have the part, and can't make one for you.

The most practical solution is to repair the existing molded part. Components made with fiberglass can usually be repaired, even by do-it-yourself-ers. If you want to solicit advice on how to make a repair to the fiberglass hatch, start a new thread on just that topic in the REPAIRS AND MODIFICATION forum.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:34 am

To get advice on how to refurbish the fiberglass molded seat back, please start a new thread on that topic in the REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS forum.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:37 am

Components used in assembly of Boston Whaler boats like anchor locker hatch locks are typically not fabricated by Boston Whaler themselves. They usually use good-quality standard marine hardware. I'd browse through some marine hardware catalogs to see if there is anything available now in production that will work with the anchor locker hatch lock from 20-years ago.

Also, check with Boston Whaler to see if they can offer some guidance on what brand they used.

If you can find a similar boat with the anchor locker hatch intact with the OEM lock, it would be really helpful. Maybe a reader with a 13 GLS can pitch in with a picture.

rryan14

Postby rryan14 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am

Thank you--all useful stuff; appreciated.

Is there any way a small swim ladder can be mounted to a GLS transom, particularly since it is inverted?

Or, do I need to find a fold up ladder?

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 pm

To get advice on making a modification to your Boston Whaler boat like adding a swim ladder, please start a thread on that topic in the REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS forum. THE GAM is a general forum, but when topics are better suited to other, more specific forums, it is best to discuss them there.

Threads that contain many divergent topics are not the best use of the forum. Keeping the discussion on one topic or very corollary topics is best.

As a general observation, in order to attach any rigging where there will be high stress imposed onto the hull by the added rigging, the attachment point of the added rigging MUST be made at a location on the hull where there is an embedded reinforcement in the hull that is of suitable material and size to be able to handle the added loading. Once the hull is molded it is generally not possible to create really strong attachment points inside the hull, and the existence or lack of already embedded reinforcement will be a factor in determining what can be attached and where.