Identify hull from stencil number

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Identify hull from stencil number

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:37 am

I received an email soliciting my opinion about the stencil number shown in an attached image, which I show below:

stencilNumberSMALL.jpg
The original file sent was 7.5-MB in size and was 5312-pixels wide. The image has been reduced to 800-pixel width and the file size is 14-Kbyte.
stencilNumberSMALL.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 2294 times

My interpretation of the image: the hull has been repainted but the stencil number was protected; the stencil number appears to be the original.

The stencil number reads as 36194.

Compare at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/

This number would be appropriate for a Boston Whaler 16-foot hull made in 1967, possibly sold as a “1968” model if made in the summer of 1967.

ALAN G

Re: Identify hull from stencil number

Postby ALAN G » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Jim, I agree that the number is likely original and the person who repainted the boat preserved the original number. I have done the same thing to Whaler 13's I have restored. But more eye catching is the paint job. Who would, and why would they paint the transom with a texture?? I can understand doing so for any walking surface for the purpose of non-skid. But doing the transom where engine grease and oil are likely to be very difficult to clean off? I have seen some very ugly paint jobs, but the ones that break my heart are the sportsmen who paint their Whaler olive drab or camo.

Al