Buying 17-footer; Interpreting HIN; Evinrude 115

A conversation among Whalers
jstahlman

Buying 17-footer; Interpreting HIN; Evinrude 115

Postby jstahlman » Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am

I may buy a 17 foot Boston Whaler with just a small helm that is located in a strange place and no engine--but the price is right. The [HIN] is BWCK782SA787 and the name plate says 17-foot bare hull. I'm guessing someone bought just the hull and added this helm.

Am I correct in thinking this is a 1987 boat?

I found a Evinrude 115 engine I'm thinking about putting on the boat. Anyone have any comments on that?

I just registered for the forum

jimh

Re: Buying 17-footer; Interpreting HIN; Evinrude 115

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Advice on how to decode the federal hull identification number (HIN) is given in the FAQ. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

A HIN "BWCnnnnn A787" is a Boston Whaler boat made in January of 1987 as a 1987 model-year boat.

A production sequence number of K7nnn makes sense for a 17-foot hull in the following models:

• Sakonnet
  • Montauk
  • Newport
  • Bass Boat
  • Striper
  • Super Sport
  • SL
  • Standard
  • Alert
  • Utility

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 1:28 pm

Check the capacity plate to see the maximum power rating for the hull. The 17-foot hulls were rated for 100-HP maximum.

jstahlman

Postby jstahlman » Mon May 07, 2018 3:11 pm

I read through the FAQ and that is why I thought the [1987] year was correct.

I've not seen the "bare boat" title anyplace in my research but assume they might sell one without seats and such.

My concern is that all that stuff was removed and holes covered up (possibly poorly) but I can't find any sign they were ever there.

The Capacity plate is basically un-readable--that is partly why I'm asking. This boat basically is empty except for a small helm. It has a fiberglass area directly forward of the transom which holds a [fuel] tank and (I assume) batteries. The helm is very low and doesn't have much space, looks like one would need to sit on top of the gas tank to pilot it. The remainder of the boat is empty, no seats. It does have a forward hatch and the two side railings, but no forward railing. I can get it for what I think is a good price for the boat and a Shorelandr trailer.

I also found (what I'm told is) a late 1960's 16-footer with this Evinrude 115 on it (The hull has been painted and I can't find a number plate). I think the motor is newer than the boat. The hull has been repainted (poorly) and the owner admits that it needs big time repairs that a local boat shop couldn't do. He said it would need to be taken apart to the stringers, re-foam and re-glass. It does however have the motor, a proper helm with a gas tank under the forward seat. It also has a Bimini and some mooring covers. I can also get it at what I think is a good price but I need to see what's up with the motor.

My thought is to strip the old hull, sell the trailer and trash the hull. Then use the parts to fix up the newer boat. Maybe crazy but worth looking into.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 4:34 pm

jstahlman wrote:...I've not seen the "bare boat" title anyplace in my research...

If the phrase "bare boat" appears on some state generated paperwork for the boat title, it was probably introduced there by someone other than Boston Whaler. I haven't see the phrase "bare boat" used by Boston Whaler. Boston Whaler might have said "bare hull." In boating, the phrase "bare boat" is used to describe a boat chartering arrangement in which you charter just the boat, without crew, provisions, captain, fuel, and so on. You just charter the "bare" boat. Hence the name "bare boat charter."

jimh

Re: NEW TOPIC: 16-footer that owner says has stringers

Postby jimh » Mon May 07, 2018 4:36 pm

jstahlman wrote:...I also found (what I'm told is) a late 1960's 16-footer ...the owner ...said it would need to be taken apart to the stringers....

The owner apparently has no understanding of the construction methods for making a Boston Whaler boat. The Unibond hull is not intended to be disassembled in the field. There are no "stringers" inside the Unibond hull in a 16-footer. This guy should not be trusted to be a source of information about how Boston Whaler boat hulls are constructed or repaired.

jstahlman

Postby jstahlman » Mon May 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Jim thanks for the help.

The guy at the marina said he looked on the coast guard plate (at least I think that is what he meant). He said it said "17 bare hull" Sorry I didn't look at what I wrote down while I was posting. What would bare hull mean?

Yes I figure this guy doesn't know much about the boat. I have the impression that he bought it because a local boat repair place said they could fix it. Then they couldn't (or wanted a ton of money to do it) so he has something he cant do anything with. I've owned boats most of my life (starting with a wooden Owens cabin cruiser back in the 80's) and there is no way I'd take on trying to repair this hull. It is covered in some sort of thick white paint (that was put on with a putty knife I think). It is impossible to see what might be lurking under that but the deck seems wavy and weak.

I determined the motor is an 82 so parts and such are available. If I can get it at the right price it might be a good deal.

Would the hull have value to anyone? I'd be happy to have someone take it when I get the parts I need. Otherwise I'd take it to the dump.

jstahlman

Postby jstahlman » Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 pm

BACKSTORY on the boat that might be purchased:
The owner is a contractor. He did work for a local boat mechanic business. The deal was the mechanic would give him the boat fixed. Then the mechanic discovered that the whaler couldn't be pulled apart like he thought. The mechanic did a quick and very dirty paint job and gave him the boat. The owner drilled some 1/8-inch-diameter holes in the bottom, and water came out. He drilled a bunch hoping to get the water out and then lost interest. I looked over the egine;it looks okay and seems to have compression. If I can get it cheap I just might.
helm1a.jpg
helm1a.jpg (27.71 KiB) Viewed 6803 times

helm2a.jpg
helm2a.jpg (26.82 KiB) Viewed 6803 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 am

jstahlman wrote:What [does] bare hull mean?

Boston Whaler uses the description bare hull to me a hull that is bare of any accessories.

jstahlman

Postby jstahlman » Tue May 08, 2018 9:07 pm

I am now the owner of two Boston Whalers. Wish me luck.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 am

The console (picture above) looks fairly standard, but there is something strange attached to it on the forward face. I am not sure what you have there.

jstahlman

Postby jstahlman » Wed May 09, 2018 9:28 am

I'm not sure, either, [if] the part in front has a fuel tank located under it. Basically it doubles as a seat. Until I get it apart I won't know if it was purchased that way or the front was added. If it was added they did a nice job. In the end I got both boats for $2,200. I have some work ahead: we will see if I am smart or a moron.

jstahlman

Postby jstahlman » Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 am

I also got the story on the bare hull. It was purchased by fish and game. That is the reason there were no seats.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 am

jstahlman wrote: In the end I got both boats for $2,200.00. I have some work ahead we will see if I am smart or a moron.

Two Whalers for $2,200, you're not a moron if they aren't waterlogged and basically one complete.
Have a great time getting them ready and on the water.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jstahlman

Postby jstahlman » Wed May 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks Dutchman
The one hull is clearly (at least in my mind) trashed. It had/has water in the hull. The guy I bought it from drilled a bunch of 1/8" diameter holes in the bottom along both sides of the keel in an attempt to get the water out. He said water drained. I'm clearly no expert but I'd think 1/8" holes are way too small. I'd think more like 1/2". In any case it has been painted (painted is a kind word in this case) with what appears to be an epoxy paint. This paint is cracked, pealing and has runs all over. I would never take on trying to get that old paint off and refinish it. Way more work than it is worth in my mind. The upside is it has a motor, center helm, mooring cover, Bimini and some other fixtures I can use. If the motor is good I am really smart. If on the other hand the motor is FUBAR things get a bit messier. At the price I paid, I think I can salvage enough, sell the remainder and not get hurt too bad.

If anyone needs some parts from a 17 footer I might have some. I'll take everything off that I can, use what I need and sell or trash the remainder. The local dump will take the hull for $50.00 but I'll see if anyone wants it for something before I trash it.