2018 Splash

A conversation among Whalers
Dutchman

2018 Splash

Postby Dutchman » Tue May 08, 2018 10:18 am

We had fantastic temperatures here last Saturday and there were too many women (wife had sisters over) in the house so I opened the single storage garage and pulled out the Whaler from the back to the front drive way. Took the full cover off and grabbed the battery. She looked as clean as when I put her away. A little contortionism installing the battery in the center console (i'm getting too old for this or need a larger CC). The battery showed 12.4 volts a little low but in case a grabbed a battery pack.

Grabbed a couple of drinks, checked if all safety equipment was in order, put plug in and pulled the boat to a local small lake 15 minutes away.
Noticed there were four trailers at the DNR sight and saw a few kayakers on the lake. Backed the trailer in the water and before taking her off the trailer wanted to make sure she started.

Climbed on board and lowered the engine. Hooked the fuel line to the full (treated) gasoline can, pumped the primer bulb several times. Turned the key on, got the beep and turned it all the way heard the starter turn over three times and she ran. Surprised the engine started that quick after fogging. She ran smoothly.

Un-hooked her from the trailer, tied her off on the dock and parked the car.

The depth-/fish-finder said the water was 66-degree-F. I backed her up and started boating. What a great feeling to be out on the water again as normally I have my boats in by the first or second week of April, but weather has been so bad here in SW Michigan.

I putted around for an hour or so and ran the boat through its things. Everything worked flawlessly so I'm looking forward to a nice summer and several planned trips. Retrieved the boat now there were about 20 trailers and the ramp was busy. Drove back and parked her in the house garage. it was a good early afternoon in 80-degree weather.

Happy Boater (again)
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot