Sump Pump Drains Battery

A conversation among Whalers
Danielj1998

Sump Pump Drains Battery

Postby Danielj1998 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Hello Outrage owners, I recently launched a 1996 Commercial and Government Products 22-foot classic with a single engine. This hull is non-self bailing with a forward sump pump and an aft sump pump. There are twin batteries. The pumps are off when the battery switch selector is in the OFF position. The hull collects a good amount of rain water when in its slip and not attended. The boat has a house battery and starter battery.

My dilemma: I have to head down to the marina when it rains to either turn the batteries on or run the engine to charge, and then leave the battery switch ON, causing the possibility of dead batteries.

Any ideas here? Thanks

jimh

Re: Sump Pump Drains Battery

Postby jimh » Sat May 19, 2018 10:26 pm

To keep rain from accumulating in the cockpit of a boat with all drains closed, Install a mooring cover.

Dick E

Postby Dick E » Sun May 20, 2018 10:26 am

You can get a three wire bilge pump that will have a float that will come on automatically and shut off automatically. It also has a manual override.

A mooring cover will eliminate most of the water build up. Hope this helps

ratherwhalering

Postby ratherwhalering » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:06 pm

If you have 120-VAC power in your marina, wire both pumps to one battery, and connect a 2-Ampere, waterproof, trickle-charger to the battery.

andygere

Postby andygere » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:49 pm

A cover is the best solution, but I don't understand why it is not self-bailing, save for the forward sump. My 1989 Outrage 22 cuddy has a pair of small sumps in the aft corners, each connected to the rigging tunnels. With the plugs out, these will self bail in all conditions, and water will never be on the deck. I generally leave them out, both ashore and out in the ocean. Are the CPD models different?

Also, you don't mention if the pumps are direct wired or if they are on float switches or are water sensing pumps. Water sensing pumps cycle on briefly on a timed interval, and if load is sensed( current draw actually), the pump stays on until the water is gone (current draw is lowered). They work well, and only operate when needed. Float switches are the old standard, and if you keep the sumps clean, they work well too.
1989 Outrage 22 Cuddy