2018 170 Montauk Thoughts and Experiences

A conversation among Whalers
bothedog

2018 170 Montauk Thoughts and Experiences

Postby bothedog » Thu May 24, 2018 11:26 pm

Greetings. Give me any thoughts on and experiences with the 2018 170 Montauk.

There are some 2017-models out there in the 170 model, but with the changes in the 2018 I am leaning toward the updated model. Your input will be appreciated.

I have heard that there is a problem with the fuel tank on the 2018 170 Montauk in only taking limited capacity when on the water. Not sure this is credible. Any info will be appreciated.

Any and all responses are deeply appreciated.

Jeff

BACKSTORY: I have been lurking for years on this site for info surrounding our 1985 classic center console. Thanks Jim and all. Time has come to move up and purchase something in the 17 to 19-feet range. I have been continually searching for used boats, however, I am considering a new purchase. We have been kicking trailer tires and window shopping for sometime. I am also considered Key West, Edgewater, Scout and Robalo boats. Yet, being a long term Whaler owner and seriously researching, I am 99.9% sure we are sticking with Whaler.

ConB

Re: 2018 170 Montauk Thoughts and Experiences

Postby ConB » Fri May 25, 2018 9:38 am

The new 2018 Montauk line looks good to me. I've looked at a couple of 170 MONTAUK boats. I would want the 115-HP engine.

Have your dealer take you for a boat ride to help you decide.

The fuel tank does seem a little small.

Good luck--Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 1987 150 hp Johnson & 1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 25, 2018 11:49 am

My thoughts:

I don't expect that after 2018 the Boston Whaler company will be making two models of 170 MONTAUK; they'll just be making the newer 2018 model. On that basis and if buying a new boat, the better choice for retained future value is probably to buy the 2018 model.

For a review of the differences between the legacy 170 MONTAUK and the new 2018 MONTAUK, see

Boston Whaler Introduces the 2018 170 MONTAUK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2588&p=18311

As I mentioned in the initial article in that discussion, the new model differs from prior 170 MONTAUK boats most significantly as follows:

--integrated 25-gallon fuel tank for added range; this replaces on-deck plastic fuel tanks

--new integrated forward fishbox with overboard drain; apparently a new feature or adaptation of an existing option

--optional Teak Package with teak boarding steps and swim ladder flooring; dress up the boat for $481 with some classic teak trim

--optional engine is now Mercury [115-HP] FOURSTROKE Command Thrust--a $990 upgrade from the non-Command Thrust 90-HP engine

In addition, in the thread (linked above) announcing the 2018 170 MONTAUK there are many other insights and comments offered about the boat by others. You may find that those prior remarks will be useful in your inquiry for thoughts and experiences with the 2018 170 MONTAUK.

Since you express that there is only one chance in one-thousand that you will buy a boat other than a Boston Whaler boat, I won't comment on any of the other four brands you mentioned.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 25, 2018 11:53 am

More thoughts, in regard to the utility of a 25-gallon fuel tank on a 17-foot boat: with modern outboard engines delivering fuel economy of 6-MPG or better, you'd have almost a 150-mile range with a 25-gallon fuel tank. If your planed use of the 17-foot boat requires a greater fuel endurance range than 150-miles, you will have to carry additional fuel aboard. See the performance data from Boston Whaler on the 2018 170 MONTAUK for more information about performance and fuel economy.

In any case, inasmuch as the older legacy 170 MONTAUK fuel was carried in two 6-gallon on-deck fuel tanks, or perhaps owner's upgraded to 22-gallon on-deck fuel tanks from aftermarket suppliers, I don't see how the feature of a 25-gallon fuel tank on the new 2018 MONTAUK could be considered to be a liability that limits fuel capacity. In general the MONTAUK series has always used on-deck fuel tanks, so the use of a below-deck integral 25-gallon fuel tank is really quite a nice upgrade for the MONTAUK.

Problems with adding fuel to integral below-deck fuel tanks are almost always related to blocked venting. Maintaining proper static trim on the boat during fueling (while either the boat is in the water or on a trailer) is essential for proper tank venting. Fueling with the boat trimmed down by the bow will always be a problem; fuel accumulates in the forward portion of the tank, blocking the vent. When on the water lateral trim on the boat may also be a factor. When fueling our Boston Whaler boat with below-deck fuel tank, we always try to maintain the boat trim so the filler side of the boat is higher than the other side, and the boat is not trimmed down by the bow. At a highway fuel station where the grade has a slope, we approach the pump so the bow is on the uphill side.

Boston Whaler has been building boats with integral fuel tanks for decades, so I would expect they are familiar with the proper installation of below-deck fuel tanks. Before deciding there was an error in the design of the fuel tank on this new model Boston Whaler boats, I would have to get some first-hand reports from owners. And I'd have to hear more about the circumstances, the boat trim, were people sitting on the boat at the bow, and so on.

GWD

Postby GWD » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:12 am

My 2018 Montauk 170 finally arrived after a four-month wait. Since there were build items that were attractive the wait was worth the four months.

The dealer took three weeks to rig it as we wanted:

—Raymarine Axiom 9 MFD
—MinnKota Ulterra iPilot and Heading Sensor
—two Cannon Magnum 10 STX downriggers
—three batteries and special independent charger and circuit breakers for each.

Total price was $50,000.

I've had the 2018 170 MONTAUK on the water only once after the mandatory Whaler training session. It was a windy day on a large local lake so small whitecaps were the norm in an on and off 10 knot wind. My experience:

The Mercury 90 is plenty fast for me after my 14' Livingstone and Johnson 25-HP—almost double the top speed. I Can't keep a hat on, and it is doubtful that I'd every need to run from weather. The ride is very smooth and quiet at any speed with whitecaps and over wakes. Got boatspeed to near 40-MPH. Hydraulic steering is nice but I tend to over-correct due to inexperience. Still working on proper trimming. Motor starts were immediate.

I didn't like the distortion of the plexiglass windscreen. Standing while underway at speed is much safer for spotting other boats and possible swimmers.

Being able to move around the stable boat is a luxury. Plenty of hand-holds with the tall rails. The wider beam certainly is noticeable for the extra room. The rear seats are expensive but worth it as is the seat cooler in the fishing package. The bow cushions give comfortable stretch-out room. With the Bimini top it is easy to find shade somewhere on the boat as the trolling path changes. Very early morning is the only time the sun hits everywhere but it is usually a cool time of day then and the sun is less intense.

I'm fairly tall at 6'2" and haven't mastered getting on and off by stepping through the Bimini support struts. Kind of a stumble-bum experience. I'll practice stepping over the rails next time out - maybe wear a swimsuit as well just in case! Besides, then the swimming platform can be tried out - didn't get to testing it yet.

The Bimini top is easy to deploy and fold up. The zippered cover allows the top to remain vertical while towing. No flapping was noticed at 60 mph.

The Raymarine sonar and chart is complex with extensive settings. It has taken much time to dial in and get it set up for my uses. Well, "get it closer" is probably a better description. The manual must have been read ten times - there is a "basic" manual and an "advanced" manual. YouTube videos have not been much help nor have the Raymarine site videos. There seems to be no fish beeps or fish visuals as on my old Humminbird finders.

The MinnKota Ulterra trolling motor is a pure joy. It takes you where you want to go at the speed you want to travel. Auto Pilot maintains whatever heading and Cruise Control holds the speed. In the wind the motor is constantly correcting itself from the bow mount as I sit back, watch, and smile. With the Livingston it was a constant struggle to maintain a heading and much correcting was needed from the stern mount especially in the wind or current. Then, with a fish on, it was "fight, correct, fight, correct, etc., etc." On the next trip we will give the iTrack a try. It records a route and the motor can be directed to repeat the route with no user input once set. It can store 16 routes. And the Auto Deploy and Auto Store are amazing as well. Unfortunately, one has to actually manually turn the power on and off. Oh, the injustice: a button has to be pushed! The 24 Volt battery configuration was down to 23.9 Volts after three hours of trolling—started at about 24.8V.

The powered Cannon downriggers did not get much use since we were doing sea trials, but they were mounted and tried out for functioning. I fooled around with the Auto Stop function and used a split ring to attach the weight to the cable since I didn't have heavy clips along on this trip. Well, the split ring was too weak and stretched open dropping the 10-lbs weight with flashers to the bottom. A replacement weight arrived today - $50. Ouch.

All in all, we are very pleased with the 170 Montauk. Total control of all of the functions and equipment has not been mastered yet. Next trip should educate us some more.