Move 16-footer to Oregon from Michigan

A conversation among Whalers
Pelicandriver

Move 16-footer to Oregon from Michigan

Postby Pelicandriver » Fri May 25, 2018 12:00 pm

I just completed renovation of a 1968 Nauset and am moving to Oregon from Michigan in less than two months. What boat transport companies are there?

Are there efficient ways to move the boat other than trailering it?

I really don't want to [trailer the boat myself]. If I can't find a means to relocate the boat, I may have to sell it. [For opinions on the selling price or value of your boat, please start a thread in MARKETPLACE soliciting estimates of the value--jimh]

Dutchman

Re: Move 16-footer to Oregon from Michigan

Postby Dutchman » Fri May 25, 2018 12:21 pm

I would check Uship or Uship4less; they offer good rates. I had friends that used them for cars and boats.

Are you using a moving company for your household goods? Sometimes they are willing to put trailer and boat (if they fit) in their trucks.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 25, 2018 12:26 pm

By-highway travel to Oregon from Michigan will be more than 2,300-miles. In order for the boat to pulled on its trailer on the highway, the trailer must be in excellent condition. A long haul like that will reveal any problems in the trailer, its tires, wheels, bearings, axles, suspension, brakes, coupler, and so on. Without having any information about the present condition of your trailer, it is impossible to assess if you could tow the boat on its trailer on the highway.

Hiring boat deliver is an option. I would expect that any hired driver would not tow a 16-foot boat on its own trailer to Oregon from Michigan. The boat would probably be put on a flat bed trailer and carried that way, likely along with other boats to help defray the cost of the trip for the carrier. Towing on a flatbed will generally mean a higher cost per mile will be charged. A commercial truck driver will be bound by regulations and can't drive more than a certain number of hours per day. This will likely make the trip a three-day travel.

The total cost of transport, fuel, accommodations, food, insurance, and so on, could be a fair proportion of the boat's total value. On the other hand, a nice classic Boston Whaler boat on the West Coast is worth more than it is in Michigan.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri May 25, 2018 12:54 pm

I say shrink wrap and put it on a flatbed.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 pm

If the boat owner is going to be driving to Oregon in his own vehicle as part of the move, the cheapest way to move the boat will be to tow it along behind.

Pelicandriver

Postby Pelicandriver » Fri May 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Thanks so much for all the replies. If I flatbed the boat, would I need to take the engines off?

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue May 29, 2018 8:29 am

No. You trailer with the engine on. Why take it off when being trailered?
EJO

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue May 29, 2018 9:36 am

I have towed a 24 foot cruiser from coast to coast twice and our 190 Montauk from St. Louis, MO to Mobile, AL. I also towed the 24 footer from Alexandria, VA to Mobile. These trips were easy, easy, easy.

I recommend you tow your 16 to Oregon.
Butch

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 am

BUTCH-- to tow your Whaler and a U-Haul/Ryder trailer is hard.
EJO

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 30, 2018 12:19 pm

In 2003 I towed my REVENGE 20 W-T to Washington (state) from Michigan, and back, in a three-week period. We were on the road about eight-days, seven nights. It was an interesting trip on the way out because I had never travelled through that part of the USA. On the way back it was just drive-drive-drive and get home as fast as possible. We'd stop for dinner, then get back on the road and drive to 2 a.m. or later. Driving late at night was pleasant because it was much cooler--the temperature during the day got over 100-degree once. The traffic was much lighter, and mostly commercial trucks, all moving at a constant speed, and no crazy drivers passing you at 90-MPH. My truck had a 42-gallon fuel tank, so we could get a long stretch between stops for gasoline, even at the lousy 11-MPG. We drove most of the way at 55-MPH because that speed seemed to be right in the sweet spot for the truck to run without too much strain.

Total mileage was about 4,600-miles, as I recall. Gasoline fuel on the highway was under $2 when we started the trip. The rig got about 11-MPG, so we consumed about 420-gallons of fuel. I was in my early 50's when we made that trip. I probably would try it one more time, but I would have to be highly motivated.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed May 30, 2018 1:01 pm

EJO--i agree that towing two trailers at the sane time with the same tow vehicle is hard. If that's the OP's problem he would need two tow vehicles and a friend or family member to make the trip.

Just as a point of possible interest, when we were doing our coast to coast moves they were about six months apart. That was because we went out to Monterrey, CA to attend language school then back to Alexandria, VA. As we were planning to rent a very small apartment in Pacific Grove we brought only pots, pans, clothing, boating equipment, etc. Our 24 SeaRay Sundancer was fairly stuffed with those things. All our other household goods were put in storage. A couple of days after arriving in VA we left for a tour of duty in the Dominican Republic. We landed in the DR the day of the Granada rescue. Our sponsor took us to a temporary Embassy Apartment during a massive demonstration against the "invasion". It was not a fun day for an Army wife.

Our two yeas in the DR were, however, great.
Butch

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu May 31, 2018 9:10 am

Jefecinco wrote:I Agree that towing two trailers at the same time with the same tow vehicle is hard. If that's the OPs problem he would need two tow vehicles and a friend or family member to make the trip.

Butch I just assumed that the OP didn't want to pull the boat or was pulling something else already, hence my original comment. I do agree that pulling the boat yourself like Jim and you did over a long distance is a better solution if you can.

Butch I'm glad the DR stint worked out for you guys and thanks for your Service over time. (Army heh and not Navy?)
EJO

padrefigure

Postby padrefigure » Thu May 31, 2018 9:28 am

I think you could install new tires, replace and pack all bearings and upgrade bunks/rollers and tie down hardware for the cost of shipping the boat with a commercial carrier. You could tow a 16 foot boat with almost any SUV or sedan. When you get to the destination, you have a first class trailer at the ready for any new adventure instead of having the same old trailer you have no confidence in and being out the cost of shipment. You will spend more in gas to tow and you will take more hours to get from point A to point B.

Kind of at the other extreme from Jim's cross country excursion, we towed a 13 foot whaler from Austin to Key West. We took a couple of weeks and had a very loose itinerary. Still counts as one of the best trips we ever made. The boat towed like a dream and we are looking forward to having another time window that we can do this again, maybe with the 18 Outrage this time.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 31, 2018 11:03 am

Re hiring boat mover and towing on flatbed or on the boat's own trailer:

I good friend recently hired a boat mover to deliver a boat to Michigan from Florida. The price to tow on a flat bed was several hundred dollars higher than if the boat were towed on its own trailer. Taking the lower cost option to tow on its own trailer, about the same amount of money as it would have cost to put the boat on a flat bed was then invested in upgrading the trailer with new bearings, tires, and so on. The outcome was the total cost of moving the boat was about the same, and once the boat arrived the trailer would be in much better condition. This is more or less what PADRE' just said, and it is a good example of the method.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 31, 2018 11:18 am

Another anecdote about trailering longer distances:

When I bought my REVENGE 20 it was located in western Michigan, about 140-miles from my home. It was used on an inland lake and was kept at a dock at a small marina there. It was only on the trailer for winter storage. The seller assured me the trailer was in good condition--it looked like it--and was ready for the road. After the sale and payment were done, we hitched the boat trailer to our truck and started the drive home.

We got about 60-miles down the road and pulled into a rest stop on the interstate highway. I became aware there was smoke coming from one of the trailer wheels. The wheel bearing was really very warm. Fortunately, there was an exit from the interstate just a mile or so ahead. I pulled off the highway and looked for a service facility.

There was a big auto service place, possibly something like a K-Mart as I recall. I parked near the service bays. I asked about getting the bearings on my boat trailer greased. It was a Saturday. There were dozens of cars ahead of me in the service queue. The mechanic took pity on me. He just handed me a grease gun and said to help myself. The trailer had BearingBuddy hub covers, so I could easily introduce more grease.

I managed to get more grease into the wheel bearings on the hot wheel on the trailer. I returned the grease gun to the mechanic with a modest tip. We got back on the highway and made it the rest of the way to home.

I learned two important lessons:

--someone who tows their boat twice a year about 200-yards on a trailer from their storage location to a boat ramp for one launch and one load per year, really has no idea if their trailer is actually ready for several hundred miles of travel at highway speeds; and,

--never tow a boat trailer without carrying:
  • about 50-lbs of spare trailer parts,
  • 50-lbs of tools to work on the trailer
  • a good jack
  • a grease gun with plenty of grease.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu May 31, 2018 12:27 pm

EJO,

Yes, Army (35 years retired CWO5).

I commanded an Army Corps of Engineers Power Barge, the Master Sergeant Andrew J Weber, in San Pedro de Macoris. The Barge was a 22 megawatt, 13.8 kv producer. We had two 10 meg gas turbine units and some Fairbanks Morse 38 1/8 OP diesels. It was a nice old Barge mounted plant. The barge was an ex WWII floating Navy Cruiser dry dock section. The turbines (GE LM 1500s) made 15,000 HP each and were based on the old J79 used in F4 Phantoms. That old hull and power plant required a lot of maintenance.

My two year tour there was among the best jobs I had and I had many great jobs in 35 years of fun, travel and adventure.
Butch

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:29 am

Again Butch thank you for your service.
Hey you must be a great diesel mechanic too, having to keep those Fairbanks running.
How come you don't have a diesel outboard? They are getting lighter.
EJO

Pelicandriver

Postby Pelicandriver » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:31 pm

The number and quality of responses to my concerns about moving my 1968 Eastport (though I initially said, "Nauset"; ...oops) have been tremendous. What a great community, and what a great site; thanks so much. We've taken to heart all of the comments and are leaning toward the ''towing an upgraded trailer behind an SUV' option. Google Maps figures it's around 2300 miles. so we're thinking, "Slow and steady will win the race." I'll be sure to post any noteworthy events that occur during the trip. (** "Hmmmm. That's curious; a Boston Whaler that looks a lot like mine just passed me on this downhill stretch and it didn't have a tow vehicle. Aaaiyeee!") Thanks again.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 am

Pelicandriver that will be great way to go and now when you see a great body of water you can take a break and enjoy it too.
All you need is keep the trailer/boat locked when overnighting and cover the boat to keep eyes off any possible valuables, if SS prop take it off and store in car. If radio's and navigation/fish finder are removable do so and you'll have a worry free trip, no matter if it is 500 miles or 2,300 miles.
Love your last comment but remember all you will see is sparks as the safety chains will keep you trailer behind you and all it will do is bump into the back of your bumper. (don't ask me how I know)
EJO

Pelicandriver

Postby Pelicandriver » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi, all
Thanks to all who have posted responses to my questions. This is the first time I've done this, and my girlfriend will be driving the boat from MI to OR (while I drive a 26' UHaul truck ) - so I'm very concerned about doing this right. If I purchase a new trailer, is there a brand or type you would suggest? Also, someone mentioned I should shrink-wrap the boat for the trip. Is a new trailer the way to go, or should I purchase new bearings, etc. for the steel trailer I have?
Thanks.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am

If you can find a reputable trailer dealer/manufacturer renewing some parts will be the most cost effective. If you are planning on keeping the boat for a long time a new trailer might be a good investment.
I recommend for our area(Mich) http://www.loadmasterboattrailer.com they build a very good trailer that will last you many years to come and they are very reasonable for a high quality trailer.
You can email Monica (loadmaster@cross.net) and get a quote back within a business day.
EJO

Pelicandriver

Postby Pelicandriver » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestion to contact Loadmaster; I just asked for a quote.
Really appreciate your input.