16 SL; 170 MONTAUK Stern Seating

A conversation among Whalers
Mack933

16 SL; 170 MONTAUK Stern Seating

Postby Mack933 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Hello. This year I may buy my first boat. The boat is for the lakes in eastern upstate New York and two or three weeks on Cape Cod, and primarily for cruising with maybe some fishing when the kids get older. I've been looking in the 16 to 18-foot range so the boat can be stored in the garage over winter.

My preference is a smaller dual console, although there are not that many out there. I haven't come across many 16 or 160 Ventura boats in the northeast. I looked at a few Sea Hunt Escape 175 boats in the 2003 to 20005 range, but nothing stood out based on condition and price.

I have come across some 16SL boats from the 1990's at a lower price than typical Whalers. For an older boat, I think I would rather buy a Whaler than most anything else. I've read a number of threads on the 16SL; other than lack of classic Whaler looks, most comments are favorable.

Were 16 SL boats good or bad?

What were minimum and recommended power?

I think maximum power was 90-HP.

What are re-power options?

If ta small dual console doesn't work out, I'm leaning hard toward a 170 MONTUAK to get on the water this summer. I figure if we like, we are all set. If not, I can always sell it. I do likely need stern seating.

If a 170 MONTAUK has the livewell, can the jump seats be installed?

I think there was a bench seat option.

If a 170 MONTAUK has the live well, can the live well be removed so a bench seat could be installed?

I appreciate any comments. This is my first time posting. I have been on the site a few different times this spring--great site. Thanks

jimh

Re: 16 SL; 170 MONTAUK Stern Seating

Postby jimh » Wed May 30, 2018 8:50 am

The 16 SL was shown in catalogues from 1991 to 1994. The hull was a completely new design, unrelated to the classic 16/17-foot hulls.

The 16 SL hull had higher freeboard and a more deep-V design. There was an integral fuel tank instead of on-deck tanks. There was a large in-deck storage compartment on the center line, and two more storage compartments in the stern. The center compartment had a gutter and a gasket to keep out water, and it could be dogged down. The railings were welded stainless steel. These are all features never seen in the classic 15/16/17-foot models that preceded the 16 SL. The 16 SL was part of a new era of design at Boston Whaler, one of six new hulls created under the leadership of Peter Van Lancker.

Here is a comment about the Van Lancker era from the archives and also about the 16SL hull, from a former PRODUCT MANAGER at Boston Whaler during that time:

aurora wrote:I worked a Whaler with Peter until 1993, and I was involved with the development of all models through that date as Product Manager. Peter was the Director/VP of Engineering. He managed the engineering side of the design process. He brought on Hunt Associates to design the new hulls including the 16', 21' and 23' hulls. In my opinion the 21' and 23' were great hulls. The 16' missed the mark. The 21 Outrage (cc) was one of the most researched and tested models ever at Whaler up to that point in time. Dealers, customers, employees, focus groups etc. all had input. The original 21 hull prototype looked like any other Hunt hull (certainly not bad but not Whaler) Peter had to be convinced to modify the topsides so as to be identifiable as a Whaler. It turned out pretty well in the end. The original Rage, exhibited fresh thinking on Peter's part but the compay couldn't manufacturer it at a price point that made a profit for the company. Peter and his team were very much involved in the design of the Rage hull. Many protypes and much trial and error produced a functional and fun small boat hull for the jet drive. Good luck to Peter with his new venture with Hunt in Mass.

Source: http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004330.html

Here are the dimensions and specifications, as have been listed for many years in the REFERENCE section.

Boston Whaler 16 SL
LOA = 15-feet 6-inches
Beam - 6-feet 6-inches
Draft = 10-inches
Weight (standard model) = 1,025-lbs
Maximum weight capacity = 1,320-lbs
Swamped capacity = 2,500-lbs
Person capacity = 6
Maximum HP = 90
Minimum HP = 55
Shaft length = 30
Fuel capacity = 24
Production epoch = 1990 to 1994

There is no "recommended power" specification by Boston Whaler.