New York Boat Education Law

A conversation among Whalers
Oldslowandugly

New York Boat Education Law

Postby Oldslowandugly » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:16 pm

I know BoatUS was going crazy opposing New York bills SB 9092 and AB 9806a on the grounds that not enough time was available for all NY boaters to comply. It will be mandatory for ALL operators to have the New York-approved Boating Safety Course card on hand when operating anywhere in New York State. Then I heard on the news that the law passed. That is it: no more news--anywhere. I can't find anything about it. I am taking the BoatUS on-line course for New York right now so as to avoid the craziness.

jimh

Re: New York Boat Education Law

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:56 am

I heard on the news that the law passed.

Call the aural "news" source that broadcast the news you have a question about. Ask to speak to their news room. Inquire with them about the news they broadcast. Since you report that no other sources of information have similar news, perhaps the aural news source you heard broadcasting this news was mistaken, or perhaps you incorrectly heard or interpreted what they were saying. The absence of any other source of the news you cite is unusual.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:31 am

To ascertain if a regulation has been enacted, I would contact your state representative's local office and have their staff research it for you.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Yes, I remember when I heard it that it was part of the budget bill they were battling over, so small potatoes as news goes. I will investigate further but if you know anything about NY it will be a nightmare. I do know that Suffolk County has the same requirements for their residents only. I believe it was pushed by Suffolk County representatives because they had no jurisdiction to prevent non-compliant boaters from outside the county operating in their waters. By requiring it state-wide it makes us all better boaters. I just completed the course and it was not as easy as I expected it to be. Much has changed since 1983 when I first passed.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:29 pm

OK- I found it. It is known as "Brianna's Law". It was on the State Assembly website. It is actually an amendment to an older law. Now, you must be at least 10 years old and the holder of an approved Boater Education course card, or certificate, or have the Safe Boating icon on your drivers license. It applies to all navigable waters in NY State as well as all tidal waters around Long Island. It was passed June 15th and takes affect in one year. Luckily it still allows approved on-line courses like BoatUS. Good luck getting a seat in a classroom setting course once the word gets out. I myself am good to go.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Update: this law was the result of a 13 year battle by the Mother of an 11 year old girl who died as a result of a boat collision caused by a drunken operator. To add insult to injury the operator refused a sobriety test even though he "reeked" of alcohol. Police got a court ordered blood test but it was administered 4 hours later and he was below the BWI limit by then. Full story here: http://www.edubachelordegree.com/masters-degree/42505/mom-and-39-begged-god-to-take-meand-39-after-boat-crash-that-killed-daughter.html

Bhungerford

Postby Bhungerford » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:06 pm

Having grown up in NY I can say the state has a lot of great things. Great governance it does not have. I left years ago due to taxes and ridiculous laws. Nothing has changed. Glad I went South when I did. Hopefully someday the state will get some real leadership.

If you think the boat laws are onerous try to run a business in the state.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:01 pm

The notion that requiring a boater to pass a test will prevent that person from consuming too much intoxicating alcohol while boating seems to be a stretch. Most people who are arrested for driving while intoxicated HAVE passed a driver's licensing examination.

When I was much younger, I used to enjoy a beer or two while boating, but for many years my general policy is to never consume any alcohol when underway. Only after being secured for the day at anchor or at a dock, do I enjoy a beer on the boat.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:31 pm

I agree, no amount of legislation will prevent drunks from causing mayhem. The 6 O'clock news everywhere is testament to that. But the amount of boneheaded ignorant amateurish behavior out there is mind boggling. How exactly does one manage to get to a station in life where you can afford an expensive boat- then operate it like a 3 year old? My 16 year old Grandson has taken the course and has more savvy than the majority of idiots I encounter regularly. I welcome this law.

Bhungerford

Postby Bhungerford » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Most folks have taken driver education classes before they can get their license, but that doesn’t prevent many of them from driving like fools on the highways. putting other people in hazardous situations because of their recklessness won’t be solved by some required class or a printed certificate. It is reflective of the lack of respect for the safety of others.

I’ll just choose to curtail my boating trips to NY to other places. Higher regulation doesn’t always have the intended effects.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm

No matter what State Regulations, Laws, or Federal say, it behooves all boaters to have some formal boating education, no matter where you drive a boat.
There are many places you can get such education, US Power Squadrons, Local Sheriff Dep., DNR, BoatUS, Internet self studies, end so on, so i don't think class room space would be a problem.
Personally I think you should pass a test monitored by a certified (by USCG) entity/person, especially when buying a new boat and B-4 operating it.
You need a licence to drive a car or motorcycle on public roads why not one to drive/sail on public waterways?
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:39 am

Rather than harp on the failures of regulation, why not focus on the successes? Look at the millions of drivers and operators who don't get into accidents. Not even a ticket. They take their privileges seriously, obey the laws, and act responsibly, and we are all safer for it. Yet there will always be a minority of miscreants who are going to be a problem all through their life. They are going to drink, speed, act recklessly, and be generally obnoxious no matter what they do and where they are. No amount of education, training, or laws will change this. But I feel much safer knowing that the majority have been educated about driving and boating, and that they will act accordingly.

White Bear

Postby White Bear » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:04 pm

White Bear wrote:http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&leg_video=&bn=A09806&term=2017&Summary=Y&Text=Y

Nothing wrong with that above.
EJO

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Oldslowandugly wrote: But I feel much safer knowing that the majority have been educated about driving and boating, and that they will act accordingly.

Well said, isn't that the truth.
EJO

Bhungerford

Postby Bhungerford » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:39 am

I have no problem with new boaters having to take a class to learn about boater safety. But let’s examine what it means for NYers or those that would visit the state to boat. I’ve been driving a boat since I was 7 years old, so 40 years of experience. No accidents to date. My father is 70 and has been in boats for over 60 years. DO you really think either one of us is going to take a class to be able to boat in a state we visit frequently. not a chance. instead we’ll boat elsewhere. Millionaires are leaving states in the Northeast and moving elsewhere due to taxes. Boaters can do the same thing with the money they spend on boating trips. I’ll be content in North and South Carolina buying gas, tackle, food and other boat trip related items. The unintended side of regulation for sure.

Foamy

Postby Foamy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:45 pm

I have been boating since 1969. I took a boater safety course back then. I've also taken many courses with the US Power Squadron and hold a title of Advanced Pilot. I am and have been appalled that the only requirement for piloting a boat in crowded waters is a checkbook. I see incredibly stupid maneuvers by boaters almost every time I'm out. I can guarantee you that nearly no one on the water here has any idea about the rules of right of way. I welcome this requirement. My only question is about enforcement and documentation. I guess I have or can get copies showing that I've completed the courses but I'm not sure where or how.

Having many years of boating experience doesn't mean you know the rules. Everyone should take a course.

For what it's worth, I'm against knee-jerk reaction laws but this one makes sense.