2018 Whaler SS non skid floor.

A conversation among Whalers
SS130

2018 Whaler SS non skid floor.

Postby SS130 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:15 am

I read some past comets on Boston Whaler boat non-skid floors being difficult to clean and wax. I'm currently having this problem on a 2018 SS. Foot prints and scuffs seem to embed themselves into the non-skid. I can get about 40-percent of the foot prints and scuffs clean using the best recommended cleaners.

Non-skid floor wax like Woody, Colininite and 3M seem to just absorb into the non-skid deck, and no mater how much buffing it still looks hazy. I have a lot of years experience with these floor from past boats. I have never had a cleaning or waxing problem with other boat brands.

Is [the difficulty in cleaning the non-skid deck areas on a 2018 Boston Whaler boat] a defect that i can have fixed under the new-boat warranty?

Jefecinco

Re: 2018 Whaler SS non skid floor.

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:49 am

I don't wax non-skid. I feel it defeats the purpose. I have tried using Woody Wax but didn't find it to be very useful.

It's against the advice of almost everyone but, I keep a spray bottle with a water bleach solution for difficult non-skid stains. I use about 1/3 bleach. When washing stained non-skid I spray it with my solution and scrub the area with my deck brush (moderately stiff bristles). I then proceed to wash the entire area with whatever boat or car wash I'm using. I let it sit for perhaps five minutes before very thoroughly rinsing. I also carefully rinse the hull where the deck drains discharge.

I follow up by washing the hull.

I keep our boat covered and sometimes I see a shadowy haze on the non-skid after removing the cover. I've found a few hours of direct sunlight often eliminates the haze. I usually remove the cover the day before using the boat.
Butch

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:12 am

Jefecinco wrote:I don't wax non-skid. I feel it defeats the purpose. I have tried using Woody Wax but didn't find it to be very useful.

It's against the advice of almost everyone but, I keep a spray bottle with a water bleach solution for difficult non-skid stains. I use about 1/3 bleach. When washing stained non-skid I spray it with my solution and scrub the area with my deck brush (moderately stiff bristles). I then proceed to wash the entire area with whatever boat or car wash I'm using. I let it sit for perhaps five minutes before very thoroughly rinsing. I also carefully rinse the hull where the deck drains discharge.

I follow up by washing the hull.

I agree with your statement and your cleaning method although I sometimes use a mixture of Dawn and BarKeepers Friend (scouring) powder for extra difficult spots. The Dawn degreases and makes it therefore less slippery and still keeps a shine (like the dishes).

I prefer my guest to not use street shoes and weather permitting always ask them to take shoes off (especially flip flops). Sperry boat shoes are worn by me and family when it's colder or we need protection.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

SS130

Postby SS130 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:45 am

Thank you for the cleaning advice.

Many months ago I contacted Boston Whaler Customer Service. I was extremely disappointed that they have not responded—after completing the survey.

The decking on this 2018 should not be so hard to clean. it absorbs and is very hazy. The finish on the bench seat and hatch is completely different and very easy to clean.

I have had other boats with the same non-skid deck, with no problem. I prefer to stick with the Boston Whaler cleaning instructions until I hear from them.

Guess I have to make another call. Thanks

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 am

The only remedy to the non-skid pattern having deep recesses that can trap dirt available from Boston Whaler would be for them to create a new mold for the deck with a different pattern and create a new boat for you with that deck. I don’t think that outcome is likely to obtain.

Jadoca

Postby Jadoca » Mon May 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Google Gel Gloss one step cleaner and polish. Works perfect.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon May 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Passengers and crew need to wear non-marring shoes.

As for foot prints, it could be residue from sunscreen?

Change footwear. As for cleaning.

I would start with a bio-degradable cleaning solution. Simple Green is a good place to start with a stiff brush on a removable pole.

While I appreciate you have a practically new boat, it is after all a boat. It is going to get dirty, dinged and scratched.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

WhatKnot

Postby WhatKnot » Mon May 27, 2019 2:23 pm

Simple Green and an Electric Power Washer worked well for me.
Be Safe

macfam

Postby macfam » Tue May 28, 2019 7:54 am

Ever Spring I [perform the procedure described in the linked article whose URL appears below] on our 11 year old Montauk 150. It looks brand new. The non-skid is not slippery, but CLEAN, and RESISTS getting dirty. And the occasional bird dropping or grandkids sticky, gooey candy cleans right up.

https://shurhold.com/blogs/all-blogs/how-to-wax-and-protect-non-skid-decks