13-footer 25-HP Engine

A conversation among Whalers
NewEnglandWhaler

13-footer 25-HP Engine

Postby NewEnglandWhaler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:09 pm

My [restoration of a 1968] 13-footer is nearing completion. It's now time to power it. Most of my local ponds and lakes have horsepower limit of 20-HP for two-stroke engines and 25-HP for four-stroke engines.

There aren't any new 20-HP two-stroke engines available, and I'm going toward a new 25-HP four-stroke engine.

Which new 25-HP four-stroke engine is best for a 13-footer?

Explain why.

I know this is a vague question. I've looked at the specifications for all the 25-HP offerings and they vary greatly in terms of: engine displacement, weight, final drive ratio, operating RPM, etc.

I know propeller pitch will have a major effect on performance, but won't those other variables?

Reliability, ease of maintenance (will do most of it myself), parts cost, and part availability are also important.

I'd like to hear from people who have experience with this class of outboards.

Thanks

jimh

Re: 13-footer 25-HP Engine

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:07 am

Engine weight is the most important consideration. Gear ratio and engine full-throttle RPM range are not important; propeller pitch will eliminate them as a concern.

More displacement will usually mean more reserve power.

Buy a new outboard engine from a dealer you like, trust, will be comfortable doing business with, and who has a good service department with properly trained and equipped staff.