1987 Outrage 18: Wood Rot, Delamination

A conversation among Whalers
barnumson

1987 Outrage 18: Wood Rot, Delamination

Postby barnumson » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi all--first post.

I may buy A 1987 87 Outrage 18 as my first boat, and it should capture all my needs of use. The 1987 OUTRAGE 18 boat is reasonably priced, however there's one big sticking point: there are four softball-sized soft spots near aft gunwales between rod racks on the deck.

From the wood locating diagram It seems the only deck wood on a 1987 OUTRAGE 18 is the fuel tank cover, just off the tank cover to starboard or port.

Can someone confirm that this has no wood?

If no wood there, would this suggest delamination of the hull and foam?

This boat offered for sale is not close to me, and looking for myself is not an option.

I've researched many rebuilds here and soft spot fixes so I'm aware of the epoxy options. In my naivety, I assume deck delamination is a fairly simple fix with this drill and fill method, I am quite handy.

The fuel tank was replaced on this hull last year so I assume any rot under the cover was addressed at that time, I can ask the broker to confirm.

Can someone confirm or deny my conclusions that there are no wood in the deck surrounding the tank cover?

jimh

Re: 1987 Outrage 18: Wood Rot, Delamination

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:12 pm

If you have the actual Boston Whaler wood locating diagram for the 1987 OUTRAGE 18 boat, then the wood embedded into the hull will be as shown in the diagram. Since we don't know what diagram you are looking at and making reference to, it is difficult to know exactly what you are seeing in the diagram.

In general, the cockpit deck area of a classic era boat like an 1987 OUTRAGE 18 would not have embedded wood reinforcement in the portions of the cockpit deck that surround the opening for the central fuel tank cover portion of the deck.

It is possible to have some soft areas in the unreinforced areas of the cockpit deck. One cause might be some air pockets trapped in the hull which were not completely filled with foam. I have a small portion--as you say, about the size of a softball--in the cockpit deck on my 1990 Boston Whaler boat which has manifested a few hairline cracks, and if you tap on it the report (the sound) is difference from other deck areas. My conclusion is there is possibly a small air pocket in there.

The cockpit deck is not just left to support itself. If you read my article about Boston Whaler hull construction and the original patent, you will learn a well-kept secret: the use of SHEAR BRACES. The shear braces are fiberglass inter-connecting assemblies that are placed into the hull to form a connection between the bottom portion and the deck portion. For more details, see my March 2003 (15-year-old) article:

Original Patent of the Boston Whaler Hull Construction
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/originalPatent.html

Another theory (for my boat's odd hairline cracked area) was suggested to me by a very long-time Boston Whaler employee, who began working in the laminate shop in Massachusetts and still works for Boston Whaler, now in a management position. He suggested that the cracking might be due to that area having a shear brace connecting it to the hull, and hull may have experienced some high loading, as in a hard landing on a wave. He should know, as there is a good chance he laminated my boat back in 1990.

To get back to your situation, trying to buy a Boston Whaler 1987 boat without seeing it in person, for me that would not be a suitable approach. You really need to see the boat in-person--unless the asking price is irresistable.

The OUTRAGE 18 from c.1987 is a great classic model, with beautiful teak gunwales. Yesterday I got a surprise visit by Con B and his wife Martha, who pulled into shore in front of our place for a Gam. I was admiring Con's beautiful c.1987 OUTRAGE 18 and its nicely varnished wood gunwale boards. If I ever downsize, an OUTRAGE 18 would be my choice.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:17 pm

I would not assume that the central fuel tank cavity deck cover has been completely refurbished during installation of a new fuel tank. Refurbishment of the cover is a rather labor-intensive process. You can see an example of one such project at

Under-deck Repairs
On a 1985 OUTRAGE 22

by Jeff Rohlfing
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/outrageRestore.html

ConB

Postby ConB » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:06 pm

If memory serves, (a very big if these days) Jeff Rohlfing discovered that there were styrofoam blocks used as spacers between deck and hull in 4 spots that can be a soft spot when you walk on it. Outside of the fuel tank cavity and just aft of the fuel fill chase both port and starboard are 2 of them.
Not a big deal in my mind.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

barnumson

Postby barnumson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. The diagram I have been referring to can be seen here:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... 0x881.jpeg

I agree I must see for myself before buying. Just gathering as much info as possible to ensure the trip would be worth my time. Price is reasonable, not irresistible I'd say. But not many out there in my price range.

Interesting insight into some of the inner design. Since the three spots are on one side and one on the other, makes me think this might not be the styrofoam blocks, although still possible. I'll have to read the article on shear braces. Seems that would explain cracks more so than soft spots? Perhaps you discuss it in your article.

Is there any major concern to be had with these soft spots? I just don't want to be unaware of anything that could come back and bite me on it. Seems like the Outrage could meet all my needs so I've got an itch to get one ASAP and enjoy it a little before winter.

barnumson

Postby barnumson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:22 pm

And my mistake, the particular Outrage in question is an 1982, not 1987.

barnumson

Postby barnumson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:34 pm

I should also ask if hairline cracks where the transom meets the transom well are normal?

These do seem like they'd be high stress areas as most fillets in mechanical design are made at the highest stress areas. I cannot determine from the pictures if they could allow water or not. They look like crazing mostly but then are more pronounced at the "bridges" between the outer and center drains.

If someone can confirm the both the soft spots and hairline cracks are not of big concern I may make the trip down to see myself.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Gel coat resin is brittle, and in areas where the gel coat resin is applied too thickly— as in a fillet—you may see some surface cracking. These cracks will be shallow and only involve the gel coat layer.