Dauntless 170 console cover

A conversation among Whalers
dbeach

Dauntless 170 console cover

Postby dbeach » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:43 am

I just bought a 2018 Dauntless 170 with a console cover and bimini top. I like to leave the bimini top up at all times, even when moored up. I would also like to use the console cover if rain is in the forecast. The problem I find is that there is no hole in the console cover for the bimini straps to attach to the console rail. There is a piece of leather where I would think a hole would be. I think it would be unsafe to leave the bimini top up with no straps.

What are my options?

Would you recommend cutting a hole in the leather for the straps to slip through?

Or should I be folding up the bimini if I am using the console cover?

Ideally I would like to use both the bimini and the console cover at the same time. Thanks for the advice.

Jefecinco

Re: Dauntless 170 console cover

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:59 am

Bimini tops are expensive. Constant exposure to the elements will shorten the life of the Sunbrella fabric. During severe storms or high winds the top is subjected to a lot of stress. Perhaps sufficient stress to cause the straps hooks to fail. If that happens the top and framework can be really beaten up, probably resulting in console damage.

If you price a replacement from your Boston Whaler dealer you may decide it is better to spend the five minutes required to deploy your bimini than to leave it deployed at all times.
Butch

dbeach

Postby dbeach » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree, perhaps it is best to fold up [the Bimini top] in the forward position when on a mooring.

Do you think it is safe to leave [the Bimini top stowed] in the forward position WITHOUT the front straps attached when moored?

That way I could use the console cover at the same time.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:55 pm

[Replying to the question asked to JEFECINCO]

Yes it is safer to keep [the Bimini top stowed] in the forward (closed) position. And, if you have railings (which I assume you do) use a couple of short bungees to tie off to Port and Starboard to the railings.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:32 am

I do not recommend leaving the Bimini Top deployed when the boat is not being used. Sunlight will cause decay of the fabric. The Bimini should have a cover that will protect it when folded and stowed.

If the frame for the Bimini has fixed supports for the stowed position you should not need any other straps or bungee cords. The cover will stop the frame from deploying the Bimini.

If you lack a cover, get one.