New Evinrude Models

A conversation among Whalers
El Rollo

New Evinrude Models

Postby El Rollo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:10 pm

I am curious if anyone has heard any rumors about any new offerings from Evinrude.

I see Mercury and Yamaha have released some new larger horsepower models. I was wondering if we can expect something from BRP anytime soon.

jimh

Re: New Evinrude Models

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:53 pm

I think Evinrude's big dealer meeting was last week. There should be some news soon.

El Rollo

Postby El Rollo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks Jim, I'm really curious what they have in store.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:16 am

I have some fresher information about Evinrude:

--the dealer meeting at Evinrude headquarters in Wisconsin, normally held in Summer around July, has this year been moved to some time this Fall. The general speculation is the change in time to Fall may be related to the factory wanting to be able to show the dealers some new engine models, but the new engines were not quite ready to be revealed in July;

--the newly formed BRP Marine Group is working on another boat manufacturer acquisition. With the BRP Marine Group now having a pontoon boat brand (MANITOU) and an aluminum fishing boat brand (ALUMACRAFT), the speculation is the next acquisition target will be a fiberglass boat brand. Two possible acquisitions might be KEY WEST or TIDEWATER--but that's just wild speculation;

--the JOHNSON brand may be re-introduced, and may become the home for the legacy E-TEC engine models that have been supplanted by the recent E-TEC G2 engines. The EVINRUDE brand will be positioned as the high-performance tier of engines, particularly for any engine with the "H.O." (high output) designation, and the JOHNSON brand will become the more standard tier of engines.

Everything above is speculative, except the date change for the dealer meeting to the Fall.

The re-introduction of the JOHNSON brand makes sense, as that name is a famous brand name for outboard engines. Historically the Evinrude brand always seemed to be position as a bit of a premium brand compared to Johnson, so a plan to continue to produce some older E-TEC engines as Johnson-branded engines seems like a continuation of the traditional status of the two brands. There are some legacy E-TEC engines that are just great designs, like the three-cylinder 75 or 90-HP engine and the 2.6-liter V6 150-HP engine, that deserve to continue to be produced and sold. They would find new life as Johnson-branded products.

El Rollo

Postby El Rollo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 am

Great info Jim,
I realize some things can be speculative, and appreciate you sharing some information.
I agree with your take on the continuation of some of the legacy models.
Looking forward to the fall!

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:59 pm

When I was a younger person in the 1960's were Johnson less than Evinrude in cost?

I don't remember that. I bought a three-cylinder loop-charged 55-HP in 1968, and I think [the Johnson and Evinrude] were the same price, $,1000.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:03 am

I hope they do keep the first generation E-TEC engines and return the Johnson name. In my opinion the G1 Evinrude engines are the best looking outboard motors on the market.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:02 pm

While not a new engine announcement, Lowrance has just provided a software update for their HDS Gen3 CARBON multi-function displays that allows the HDS, in addition to just being able to show some engine data, to control or configure or set a number of engine parameters like the power-assist boost for the IPS integrated power steering, the action of the iTRIM automatic trimming feature, to switch back and forth between foot throttle controls and hand throttle controls, and to be able to initiate winterization of the engine. For more see

Lowrance HDS Gen3 Software Update Adds E-TEC Integration
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3786&p=21372#p21372

Previous revision of the HDS Gen3 software already provided some engine integration with certain Yamaha engines. Those features were also enhanced in this recent release of new software. That Evinrude has joined with Lowrance to let the HDS work with E-TEC G2 engines is an interesting development. It shows that Evinrude wants to keep pace with its competitor Yamaha, and was willing to work with Lowrance to get these new features added to the HDS Gen3 feature set.

Evinrude has a history of working with Lowrance on engine instrumentation. The Evinrude I-Command series of gauges were, essentially, Lowrance LMF-series gauges which had been modified with special firmware to have added features for use with E-TEC legacy engines.