2008 Montauk 190 Power Rating, Replacement Parts

A conversation among Whalers
Pointow

2008 Montauk 190 Power Rating, Replacement Parts

Postby Pointow » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:00 am

Hello. I am a frequent reader but a first time poster on the new forum. I had posted before on the old one.

I own a 2008 190 Montauk with about 500 hours. It has been a super boat. I would highly recommend it.

I have a few questions that hopefully some users may have some thoughts:

I am considering a re-power and looking at 150-HP engines, but the Coast Guard capacity plate [limits to] only a 135-HP. I know that now you can include a 150-HP on 190 Montauk, but can a 150-HP be installed on this older Montauk hull even though the plate says otherwise?

The few estimates that I have considered are reluctant to make this upgrade given the discrepancy.

Also, I am also in need of a few parts:

—the steel console frame needs to be replaced. Who would sell that?

—in relation to that, I also need the little bracket that hooks to the bimini. Any suggestions on that one?

—the boat cushions are beat and I would like to replace or redo them. Is it best to replace?

Or to redo them?

Any suggestions on where to buy new from?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Pointow

Jefecinco

Re: A Few 2008 Montauk 190 Questions

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:39 am

I would not hesitate to repower with a 150HP engine since the same model is now sold with that engine. However, if you now have a 135 HP Verado you will not have any remarkable improvement in performance with a 150 HP engine. If you have a 115 HP or smaller engine you will notice an appreciable improvement.

An interesting fact about the 135 Verado is that it can be tuned to produce over 200-HP by a professional ECU reflash. Simon Motorsports is a vendor who can reflash a Verado ECU and return it. Lessor HP levels can be done, too. If we keep our 190 Montauk with a 135 HP Verado we will certainly have the ECU reflashed. The work is not inexpensive but on a cost-to/HP basis it's a bargain. A little extra HP when a waterspout is coming your way can be a very good thing.
Butch

jimh

Re: 2008 Montauk 190 Power Rating, Replacement Parts

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:31 am

I believe that legally the capacity plate rating on your boat still applies to your boat, despite the reality that the rating was increased on that model when sold later. Because the boat is less than 20-feet in length, the capacity plate in mandatory. You can exceed the horsepower on the capacity plate, but there are considerations to be understood. This topic is a frequently asked question, so see the advice in the FAQ answer:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q6

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:32 am

For advice on replacement upholstery see the answer in the recommended vendors article:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html

ADDENDUM: some upholstered cushions made of vinyl supplied with some Boston Whaler recent model boats were being replaced under warranty if they developed a pinkish mold problem. Check with Boston Whaler customer service to see if they can provide any advice about this. For your boat, the cushions are now ten years old, so even if there were an extended warranty, you are probably long past the expiration of it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:38 am

Any sort of bent stainless steel tubular railing on a 190 Montauk is extremely likely to have been custom made for Boston Whaler by a supplier or to have been made in house by Boston Whaler. The only source for a replacement would be from Boston Whaler through a dealer.

There are many artisans with skill in bending tubular stainless steel for boats, and you might find a local craftsman that could make something for you.

If there are weldments in the railing, the fabricator will have to be particularly skilled in that art to achieve factory-quality work.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:39 pm

I remember looking at a 2008 190 Montauk that had a 115 on it. [That owner] originally thought of re-powering and contacted Boston Whaler. who then provided an updated capacity plate with a 150-HP rating--saw it myself.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:17 pm

If Masbama's anecdotal account is accurate, I suggest the OP try contacting Boston Whaler and see if they will provide the necessary updated USCG Capacity Plate that specifies 150-HP as the maximum power.

The OP should please report the outcome of his inquiry and if he receives a new capacity plate to verify this solution.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am

In my opinion, unless you are having SERIOUS mechanical problems with your motor, it does not make practical sense to spend $12-14,000 in order to gain +/- 5 mph at WOT. A well maintained engine will last several thousand hours.

If you elect to repower, there are some dealers/shops that will not install an engine that exceeds the capacity plate. There are, however, some that will. You need to call around. Just a little more work. There are at least a dozen owners who have repowered and exceeded the capacity plate. some by a little, some by alot. You are not the first.

As for insurance, there are several companies that will insure a boat with an engine that exceeds the capacity plate for not much more. Additional calls will find them.

Given that the Montauk 170 cushions only recently changed with the 2018 model, you should be able to obtain replacements through a whaler dealer.

While any Whaler dealer parts department can supply the parts you need. If unresponsive, give Sue Lodel, Parts Manager, Beacon/Twin Cities Marine a call. She's aces.

http://www.beacontcm.com
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 am

Geico said they don't care if I put a 150 on my 2007 19' Montauk. I would get new railing from Boston Whaler. Cushions also from Boston Whaler if the price is acceptable vs. local. Bimini bracket Boston Whaler but they are available on eBay it is standard hardware used by others.

What motor is on the boat now 115 or 135?

What exactly is wrong with the cushions now? Is it wear or mold?

Pointow

Postby Pointow » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:40 am

Hello All. Sincere thanks to all of you that have responded. This information is super helpful. Once again, this community has been a super resource.

I did end up contacting Whaler Customer Service this week, pertaining specifically to the re-power of my current 135-HP engine. They wrote back that “Boston Whaler cannot recommend exceeding the maximum hp rating that was assigned and registered with this boat,” and “while Boston Whaler can raise/register the maximum hp rating on future models, we cannot change a rating on previous models.” That sounds like they would not recommend violating the Coast Guard Plate. Thus, now I am back to considering a 135. I do wonder why Boston Whaler will not stand behind the 150 since I was under the impression that the 2008 hull was the same hull as those sold after 2010 when the rating was changed.

In terms for the re-power consideration, I do wonder what the threshold is for others when it comes to potentially doing this. I am not looking forward to the expense and would love to remain with my original engine. I am considering a re-power due to the large costs, the downtime, and [here an acronym was used which was later explained to have been intended to mean the plural form of "dead on water"] I have incurred due to the very non-routine and in my mind somewhat serious mechanical [problems] over the last three seasons. This is all on a well-maintained and loved outboard that has been cared for and not abused (at least for the last seven years since I have owned the boat). Would love to hear others line for considering this option.

Thanks,

Pointow

Pointow

Postby Pointow » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 am

Hello again. Pertaining to the cushions: they are simply worn out. I do not see any pink mold. I am considering a local re-upholster of a few of them at the moment. Thanks--Pointow

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:52 am

Pointow wrote:...I did end up contacting Whaler Customer Service this week...They wrote back that “Boston Whaler cannot recommend exceeding the maximum [horsepower] rating that was assigned and registered with this boat,” and “while Boston Whaler can raise/register the maximum [horsepower] rating on future models, we cannot change a rating on previous models.”

That is exactly the response I anticipated would be given by Boston Whaler. They don't send out capacity plates to retroactively alter the specifications of a boat they previously made with different specifications. I suspect that the reason for that is concern with liability and other legal problems. Since the capacity plate on a boat under 20-feet is a federal regulation, they wisely don't mess around with them.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:55 am

Pointow wrote:...[re] the re-power of my current 135-HP engine...I am considering a re-power due to the large costs, the downtime, and DOW’s I have incurred due to the very non-routine and in my mind somewhat serious mechanical [problems] over the last three seasons.

What does "DOW's" mean?

Exactly what 135-HP engine is on the boat now? is it a VERADO FOURSTROKE?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:20 am

The 2008 Montauk 190 standard engine offering was the Mercury 115 EXLPT FourStroke L4NL. The option that year was the newly introduce Mercury 135XL Verado 4 cylinder motor.

cf: Boston Whaler Resources website
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 am

It's surprising you have had problems with your 135 HP Verado engine given the engine reputation for reliability. It is important to have work on Verados done by Mercury Certified technicians. A Mercury certified shop is not a good substitute.

Most problems with the 135 HP Verado have to do with the fuel float problem and various electrical problems associated with poor battery performance and or high resistance connections in the engines electrical/electronic systems.

Your engine should have many, many more hours of useful life remaining. Before going to the expense of repowering I would seek out a shop and technician who can sort out the engine. If you can't find a certified technician seek help from Mercury.

My 135 HP Verado has fewer hours than yours but it has been flawless. Even for simple oil changes and inspections the engine has only been serviced by certified technicians. I have never used ethanol fuel in the engine though I'm told the engines are unaffected by ethanol gasoline.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:51 pm

I may have saved the e mail response from Boston Whaler regarding the capacity plate. I’ll see if I can find it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:45 pm

If the engine under discussion here--the one that has a lot of "DOW's"--whatever that turns out to mean--is a Mercury FOURSTROKE VERADO 135-HP, I am also going to be surprised to hear about many problems incurred in operating it. The 135-HP version is the lowest-rated-power version of that four-cylinder engine; it is also sold with a 200-HP rating. I would expect the 135-HP version to be a fairly tame version and to be relatively loafing along when making 135-HP.

The FOURSTROKE VERADO engines have had a history of being VERY particular about the attached battery, and Mercury has very specific requirements for the battery, including that it must be a starved-electrolyte absorbed glass mat construction (AGM) battery with a specific Ampere-hour and cranking Ampere rating.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Here [are quotes from emails between an unidentified owner of a 190 MONTAUK and someone at Boston Whaler]. Leaving names out

Thanks for replying so quickly.
Just to be sure; that if I buy a 190 Montauk from any year before 2010 and it needs a re-power higher than what was originally listed I can request a new capacity plate that reflects higher horsepower? (150hp)?

Hello Mr. XXXXX,
Where the 190 Montauk has not changed through the years, you can have the 150 hp max. capacity plate placed on your boat through an authorized Boston Whaler dealership. This part must be placed on the boat by the dealership as our records will have to be updated to state that the capacity plate was changed. You must be the registered owner under the Boston Whaler warranty.

XXXX XXXXXXX

Boston Whaler, Inc.

This was in 2016 so maybe the policy has changed.

Pointow

Postby Pointow » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 am

Hello,

Yes, my outboard is the 135 Verado. I appreciate the positive feedback on this model. It has been great for many years, but as described above, my more recent experience has left me with wandering eyes. I likely now will reconsider my plans based on comments here and give it at least one more season, and more if there is an improvement.

That is interesting to see the other communication from BW. Thank you for providing that. I plan on sitting tight for now based on the recent advice here so it is somewhat moot. However, if I went for a repower down the road, I think I would be cautious and stick with the 135. My current 135 has been more than effective in terms of power. I have never once felt that it feels underpowered, but still wanted to consider the 150 as an option.

On another note, I did contact Beacon Marine. They were super helpful. Already planning to order some parts from them. Thanks for that suggestion.

DOW = Dead On Water.

Thanks,

Pointow

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:50 am

Pointow wrote:DOW = Dead On Water.

I tried using ACRONYM FINDER to see what possible answers it could provide to the acronym DOW. See

https://www.acronymfinder.com/DOW.html

While acronym finder offered 27 possible meanings for the acronym DOW, none of them made any sense in the context of your comment, and, of course, none of the suggested meanings were "DEAD ON WATER." On that basis I think you must be the only person who thinks that DOW is a commonly used acronym for DEAD ON WATER. I suggest you don't use DOW as an acronym to mean DEAD ON WATER because it is very likely no one will understand what you mean.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:56 am

Re MASABA's email quote from Boston Whaler regarding obtaining a capacity plate with a higher horsepower rating:

--I notice that Boston Whaler mentions a qualifier: "Where the 190 Montauk has not changed through the years..." Perhaps there were some changes that occurred in the construction of the hull that occurred prior to the rating being increased, and this limits the number of old hulls that qualify; and,

--I notice that Boston Whaler requires an authorized dealer to change the capacity plate; they aren't just mailing them out to customers.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:34 am

Pointow,

I believe you'll find the 135 HP Verado is no longer manufactured. It was replaced in the line by the 150 HP Verado. Future long term production of Verados is uncertain. Mercury's newish four stroke offerings beginning with the 150 HP engine will probably replace the Verado line. Exceptions may be the 300 and 350 HP Verados.
Butch

08Montau190ProudPapa

Postby 08Montau190ProudPapa » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:05 am

A little late but [Yes, over two years--Moderator]

Boston Whaler will indeed put a new plate on a 2008 Montauk 190 for a 150-HP, but only if the dealership verifies integrity of transom. Clearly, a soggy structure isn't going to allow for [an increased engine power rating].

As for why [Boston Whaler] would [change the power rating on a particular boat model], others have [proposed the cause is a change in the] hull. I doubt [the reason Boston Whaler changed the power rating to be higher is due to a change in] the hull.

[Recall Boston Whaler] offered a 115-HP and a 135-HP engine option [in 2008 and did] not [offer an option for a] 150 [-HP engine]

[The reason Boston Whaler did not offer a 150-HP option in 2008 was] probably because the older 150 was not only more powerful, but heavier--to the point Whaler didn't recommend that engine.

The modern 150-HP engine is likely [to be] less heavy. Perhaps [the modern engine weight now] falls within the threshold [that] the older 150-HP engine weight [exceeded]. [I believe there is] roughly 100-lbs difference between the old 150 and the new 150 engines.

I am be willing to bet if someone wanted the plate to say "Maximum 150-HP", and was planning to re-power with an older 150-HP engine, the dealer wouldn't [change the capacity plate].

If Boston Whaler says no to your request [for an increased power rating on the capacity plate] they likely [have on record] the hull's identification number [because] perhaps someone had tried to get [a new capacity plate] in the past and failed.

[Moderator's note--replace numerous occurrences of pronouns "it" "they" and adjectives "then" referring to past dates.]

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:29 am

Please provide the name of the dealer that is installing a factory capacity plate with a higher hp rating to a pre-owned boat.

I believe there is a federal law that sets the conditions of capacity plates.

All this is not to say you can't repower with a higher rating. This topic has already been fully discussed on this site over 10 years ago.

Boston Whaler is a division of Brunswick Corporation. Brunswick also owns Mercury Marine. Boston Whaler selects Mercury engines for all models.

At the time of the Montauk 190 introduction, Mercury Marine did not offer a 150 four stroke that was equal or less than the maximum transom weight rating. A Verado 135 was the closest model under the engine weight rating hence the max hp rating for that model was 135. Several years later Mercury introduced the 150hp FourStroke that was under the weight rating. For those model years the model maximum hp rating was changed to 150.

The Nantucket/Outrage 190 has the same history of hp changes. The initial maximum hp rating was 135 for the first model year. The current model (still unchanged) is now it is 200hp. The engine weight rating has not changed.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:58 pm

I doubt authorizing a change in the boat capacity plate is legally within the remit of a dealer.

There has been some history reported that Boston Whaler will NOT retroactively officially alter a boat's capacity plate to show a higher horsepower rating. In the discussion earlier--two years ago--there is a recitation of a quote from Boston Whaler saying specifically they WON"T change the capacity plate.

I suspect there is probably some paperwork filed with the federal government that establishes the capacities given to the boat at time of manufacture, and for a manufacturer to send out revised capacity plates on demand from customers would be a very odd method of compliance. I don't see much chance for Boston Whaler to gain anything from this, and retroactively changing boat rating capacity would tend to expose them to risk.

In the case of a 19-foot boat, the federal capacity plate is mandatory. I don't believe there is a federal mandate for boats over 20-feet for horsepower rating, but there could be state law that requires such a plate be installed if the boat is to be sold or used in that state. For that reason it is common that all Boston Whaler boats have capacity plates, even if longer than 20-feet.

The rating of a boat's horsepower maximum was first required under the Federal Safe Boating Act of 1971. Regulatory action by the Coast Guard was mandated in 1972. Please see the Boston Whaler REFERENCE section FAQ for more details. This topic has been discussed since 2004 and earlier, and I have yet to see any definitive statement from Boston Whaler that contradicts anything stated in the FAQ's article. Second hand accounts of conversations with dealers or others are not particularly good evidence of a policy change.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:25 am

If, when we owned our 135 HP Verado powered 190 Montauk, the Verado required replacement I would not have hesitated to replace it with the new Mercury 150 HP Four Stroke.

Some hesitate to do so out of concern that insurance coverage will be denied or that in the event of an accident they would be found to be at fault automatically for being "overpowered" or for several other reasons.

There have been no material changes to the 190 Montauk design that I know of since it's introduction. Boston Whaler's reason for increasing the maximum HP rating for the hull was because they had stopped production of the 135 HP Verado and started producing a virtually identical 150 HP Verado to replace it. That is an HP increase of around 11% which has little measurable effect on WOT speed or acceleration. The only difference between the 135 and 150 HP Verados was a change to the ECU.

What is the owner of a 190 Montauk rated for a maximum of 135 HP to do when the day comes that the engine requires replacement and a new 135 HP engine is not available? Replace the engine with a new engine of lesser capability? If common sense prevails the engine will be replaced with the next higher HP new engine reasonably available. Alas, common sense is frequently unused.
Butch