1980 Boston Whaler Revenge V-20

A conversation among Whalers
fadialba

1980 Boston Whaler Revenge V-20

Postby fadialba » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:12 pm

I may buy a 1980 Revenge V-20.

Q1: Can the covered foredeck in the front be removed to create more seating space?

Q2: Can the foredeck be snapped off by removing fasteners?

I certainly don't want to cut anything.

Q3: If the foredeck can be removed, does that affect the weight distribution on the boat?

I am a family man, not a fisherman and I want to accomodate more people on the boat. I've also found a Whaler Ventura which has more seating in the foredeck but the boat is in bad shape and I can't take on that project.

Q4: does a 1980 Revenge V-20 have a plastic fuel tank?

Q5: Is a plastic fuel tank problematic for a 1980 boat at this age?

I've seen that a few people have had that [problems]. To replace the fuel tank is no small job.

The boat is currently equipped with a 1997 Mercury Engine 135 HP.

Q6: Is a 135-HP engine sufficient for 1980 Revenge V-20?

Any more information on a 1980 Revenge V-20 will be helpful.

The boat I am considering buying can be found at:

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/19 ... 99345.html

jimh

Re: 1980 Boston Whaler Revenge V-20

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:40 am

Q1: Yes, but it is a bad idea.
Q2: It is likely fastened in place with many self-tapping screws and some adhesives. There will many fastener holes to repair and adhesive residue.
Q3: Yes.
Q4: I can't say for certain what the fuel tank is made from; both aluminum and plastic were used around that time.
Q5: The fuel tank on any 38-year-old boat is likely to be a concern, no matter what material it is made from.
Q6: The minimum horsepower to get a c.1981 REVENGE V-20 on plane was specified to be 85-HP.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:48 am

More information about a c.1981 Boston Whaler REVENGE V-20:

This boat is built on the Outrage V-20 hull. For more information about the Outrage V-20 see

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/V20Outrage/

The c.1981 Outrage V-20 hull has a very moderate V-hull configuration. This allows it to be driven onto plane with less horsepower, but the ride characteristics are not the same as V-hull boats with a deeper V configuration.

Buying a Boston Whaler REVENGE model with the intention to take it apart in order to convert it to an open cockpit OUTRAGE boat is a bad idea. If you want an open cockpit boat like an OUTRAGE or a bow-rider type boat like a VENTURA, buy one. Don't buy a REVENGE and start hacking away. What you'll have is a boat that will be a frankenstein and will likely have been reduced in value by your modifications. As a general rule, most modifications to Boston Whaler boats that make any sort of fundamental change to their design or appearance tend to reduce the value unless they have been extraordinarily well conceived and well done.

Don't buy a boat you don't like--buy the boat whose configuration is what you want, not a boat that has to undergo a lot of modification to become the boat you want. In that regard, the asking price for the boat you are considering for purchase seems high to me considering the time, money, and effort that would be required to convert it to the configuration you want and the resultant probable loss in value.

For comparison, consider the boat listed for-sale here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3717

That boat is a comparable model and year and has the open foredeck you desire. It had a much better engine, a modern Honda F150 four-stroke, and it sold for $6,000--in California where Boston Whaler boat prices are generally higher than anywhere else.

Also, for general boat riding for passengers, sitting in an upholstered wrap-around stern seat will be much more comfortable than sitting in the very most forward part of the boat in the bow.

fadialba

Postby fadialba » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:38 pm

I've negotiated the price for this boat with trailer to $7,000, he might take $6,000

Is [$6,000 or $7,000] more in line with fair-market value?