Commercial Hull History

A conversation among Whalers
Reluctant

Commercial Hull History

Postby Reluctant » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Aloha. I’ve been rooting around for a solid hull, and I have found one that the owner claims is an old government hull. I’m no expert, but it looks like a smirk-less Montauk. The ad doesn’t have good pictures so I cannot see the black/red dot and the HID isn’t listed. Waiting for the owner to get back to me with that info.

—When did Boston Whaler begin producing the heavier layup boats like the Guardians?

—When did Boston Whaler start putting the signifying dots?

—If Boston Whaler made a smirk-less government hull, do any readers have any experience with them?

NEW TOPIC: I also have my eye on a 17 Montauk. It is a 1978 owned by an older fella that hasn’t run her in over 10 years. The boat lives in his carport covered in boxes. I’ve read a couple threads on the two and deduced that the pre-smirks are a bit more stable and plane more easily, while the smirk rides a bit better. I’m a spearfisherman and wear my mask around my neck or on my face whilst driving so wetness isn’t an concern.

If there’s a heavier smirkless out there, would those couple hundred extra pounds be enough to tip the scale toward riding better than the recreational 17s?

--How would a 16/17 Montauk match up in rougher inshore water with wind of 15 to 20-knots less than three-miles offshore, Oahu, Hawaii, compared to a 15 Hobie Power Skiff?

I’ve been doing a fair share of research on boats, but I’m on the quest to learn more.

jimh

Re: Commercial Hull History

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:51 pm

I infer that you are in Hawaii. I infer that you most likely may be limited to buying older Boston Whaler boats that are local to your island, unless you are willing to pay substantial transportation costs to ship a boat from the West Coast to your island. On that basis I suggest to perform a sea trial of any Boston Whaler used boat for sale that appeals to that you find on your island. Make your decision to buy the boat based on your sea trial outcome.

My observation about the amount of time that used classic Boston Whaler boats offered for sale that are in good to excellent condition and reasonably priced will remain unsold is about one week. On that basis I suggest you be quick to make a reasonable cash offer for any used classic Boston Whaler boat you find local to you that meets your desired performance requirements.

Also note that I live in Michigan, a state with more registered recreational boats than any other state all during the several decades when the 16-foot pre-smirk hull was being made and sold, and therefore the state where there are probably more older classic 16-foot pre-smirk hulls than any other. I do not recall seeing or even hearing a mention of a commercial lay-up 16-Footer being sold, and, if I did, I would not be particularly interested in such a boat because it most likely was in commercial service and used more often and in worse situations than a recreational hull. The notion that I would undertake a search to find a pristine red-dot 16-footer as my boat of choice and be local to me would be a very narrow and unrealistic goal in Michigan. In Hawaii it might be an impossible goal.

The redesign of the 16-foot hull to have the smirk at the bow occurred in 1976. That was 42-years ago. That suggests that any non-smirk hull will be at least 42-years-old and perhaps as much 56-years-old. Now we consider if a 42 to 56-year-old 16-foot boat is a good choice for operating in rough ocean coastal seas several mile offshore in winds of 20-knots. I think you are going to need a bigger and newer boat for that.