Guardian Ride

A conversation among Whalers
Reluctant

Guardian Ride

Postby Reluctant » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:05 am

I’ve read that the [Boston Whaler Commercial and Government Product GUARDIAN hulls have] better ride characteristics than the [equivalent] recreational hulls because the GUARDIAN hulls are heavier.

It is noteworthy that the extra weight does not increase their bouyancy. I would assume that the extra resin and glass would, more or less, be evenly distributed. That means less weight you could load onto the GUARDIAN and even more sensitivity on its transom.

Would a recreational Boston Whaler boat ride the same or better than a Guardian if you redistributed the extra weight, for example, put your fuel and gear forward on the 17 Montauk and then compare to a GUARDIAN 17?

Assume engine weights are the same.

Phil T

Re: Guardian Ride

Postby Phil T » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:27 am

I don't give much credance to statements that start "I’ve read that and don't include a link or description of the source. Same goes with I was told.

With many under 20' boats, adding weight can inprove the ride by modifying the running angle and/or creating more mass that is less susceptible to wind and sea conditions.

My Montauk 17 and Outrage 17's ride improved if I had gear and 1 person sitting at the console cooler seat. Conversely, the time to plane, acceleration, top speed and high speed manuvering was degraded.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Guardian Ride

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:01 pm

What are the ride characteristics that were improved by making the hull of a Guardian heavier than the equivalent recreational model?

Please give some sort of numerical value for the the metric of "improved ride." I am interested to know how "ride" is measured.

Were you able to test identical hulls that differed only in the laminate schedule?

Were you able to test the identical hulls within a very short time period so that sea and wind conditions remained constant?