Evinrude 7-Year Warranty Promotion

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Evinrude 7-Year Warranty Promotion

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:17 am

Evinrude is offering seven-year engine warranty coverage on new E-TEC engines purchased between August 1, 2018 and November 30, 2018. For details and limitations, see

https://www.evinrude.com/content/dam/evinrude/Global/MY2017/Documents/Promotions/evi_fall18_tear_en.pdf

dtmackey

Re: Evinrude 7-Year Warranty Promotion

Postby dtmackey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:24 pm

I'm and Etec owner and love them, but when I see these offers the first thing that pops into my head is - Evinrude is not hitting their sales objectives so they are offering additional incentives to lure customers from other brands now that they are in the final months of their fiscal year. With the current demand for outboards we shouldn't be seeing these offerings.

The backorder concern that Merc and Yamaha are faced with on larger motors should be helping Evinrude and now that Hurricane Florence is over, I'm sure this will stimulate additional insurance purchases from the NC area.

As in the words of Rahm Emanuel "You never let a serious crisis go to waste."

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 pm

I think it is better to just drink the tea than to try to read the tea leaves.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:42 am

[Presumes that the reason Evinrude has made a sale promotion by providing a longer warranty period is] [m]ore likely the premature powerhead failures are becoming more well known now that the older [E-TEC engines] are starting to get up there in hours and are having to be replaced.

My 2006 225 blew with 1100 hours, a friend with twin 2007 250's had the port engine blow at 600 and starboard engine at 680--not to mention three blown gear cases before updating to M2 case, and no impacts were involved.

That these [failures of the engine power head and engine gear case on the E-TEC engines] don't show up in most cases until the warranty expires (due to most people only clocking 50 to100 hours per year) is a problem. Twenty to 25-thousand in cash is an awful lot to shell out for for something that won't even go ten years.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:10 am

I would be interested to see actual verified statistical data that demonstrates that an Evinrude E-TEC engine cannot last ten years, or any sort of survey data that shows that all boaters now have an expectation that Evinrude E-TEC engines will "blow" before they are ten years old. My Evinrude E-TEC engine is now in its tenth year of operation, so this report that my engine's useful service life has expired is most interesting news to me.

It is also interesting to learn that a seven-year-warranty period is insufficient to provide proper protection against powerhead or gear case failure on the Evinrude E-TEC engines of 2018.

What seems uncertain is if the Evinrude E-TEC engines being made in 2018 will suffer the same problems as ones made 12-years ago in 2006. If as proposed, no E-TEC engine will last even ten years, then in 2018 we should have no E-TEC engines still working that were made as recently as 2008. We must all wait until 2028 to discover if the c.2018 E-TEC engines will not last ten years. See you all then.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:14 am

I would like to understand the actual mechanisms for the assessing the length of an engine warranty on how long the engine is anticipated to last. As presented here, the theory is a 7-year-warranty means the engine will fail before its tenth year.

If the notion implied here that a 7-year warranty is insufficient because the engine will fail in the eight, ninth, or tenth years, can this same approach be interpolated to mean that any engine offered with a three-year warranty will fail in the fourth, fifth, or sixth year? Or is there some other method to be used when considering offers from manufacturers of shorter warranty periods?

When I bought my 2010 E-TEC in 2009 I received a three-year warranty. According to the theory of warranty coverage, my engine should have failed in the forth year of operation, which would have been 2013. The engine did not fail in 2013. Inasmuch as a very limited number of samples was used to support the theory of the 7-year-warranty being insufficient, does a limited number of samples then negate that theory?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:18 am

What is the definition of "blown" in connection with some form of engine failure? I assume the tern means damaged beyond economical repair thus requiring replacement. But what causes such extraordinary damage? Unless some form of internal explosion occurs I can only assume it could be caused by either some form of lubrication system failure or by running the engine at revolutions much higher than the engines rating. In the case of over revving or lubrication failure would the operator not bear some of the blame for the blown engine?

I would like to hear some specifics from Acseatari on the extent of the damage to his engines and the causes.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:03 am

Re the cited example of an E-TEC engine having "blown" at 1,100-hours: my engine presently has accumulated about 550-hours of operation in ten seasons of use, or 55-hours-per-season. Extrapolating that the engine service life will end at 1,100-hours as cited, this means I will have

1100-hours-to-failure/(55-hours-per-season) = 20-season of use before failure.

The original warranty was only for three years. If I am following the suggested warranty coverage, I should have been given a 19-year-warranty to have been properly protected by the manufacturer, and this would have been characterized as insufficient coverage.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Yes, it is exactly as you say. Most people never get to even 500 hours in 7 years of use, hence it's an easy gamble on the average user to never see a blown powerhead (blown meaning loss of lubrication resulting in piston through the side of the block). But if we look at the mean times of failure versus the cost of a new engine, the cost per hour used is astronomical.

With Honda's on Coast Guard boats clocking over 5000 hard hours, friends with Yamaha's clocking over 2500 hours and still going strong, or all the countless cars with over 200k miles on their 4-stroke engines (even averaging 50 mph would be over 4000 hours), I would expect a lot more than 1000 hours out of a modern engine. There's something to be said about machinery that runs in a bath of oil.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Re the cited example of an E-TEC engine having "blown" at 1,100-hours: my engine presently has accumulated about 550-hours of operation in ten seasons of use, or 55-hours-per-season. Extrapolating that the engine service life will end at 1,100-hours as cited, this means I will have

1100-hours-to-failure/(55-hours-per-season) = 20-season of use before failure.

So I guess if our cars had a 36000 mile warranty and the engines failed at 40000 miles, we should be alright with it, being that it outlived the warranty? It would be one thing if it was an outlier, but if it's a common occurrence, would you go back for more?

Extrapoling from this, I would recommend NOT buying an Etec if you put more than 100 hours a year on an engine and expect it to outlast the 7 year warranty. It seems you've not only set the bar low for longevity, it's laying on the floor. Most of the people I know do offshore fishing, not uncommon to log 200+ hours per season. It's easy to log 20 hours on just one offshore trip.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Re the cause of failures- my 2006 225 lost lube to a wrist pin at 1100 hours and grenaded. Insurance company paid for an autopsy. Always ran XD100 and raved about the engine right until it failed. My normal cruise was 3500-4500 rpm. Of the 1100 hours, there was less than an hour above 5000 rpm on the computer.

Twin 2007 250's grenaded at 600 hours port and 680 starboard, also programmed for XD100 oil. These were on a 30' center console used primarily for offshore fishing. No insurance, so no autopsy. But most people who play 100+ miles offshore in the northeast canyons are big fans of maintenance and don't abuse their equipment , as your life could depend on it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:14 am

The concept or notion or claim that an E-TEC will have an unrepairable failure to the power head is not my idea and was not introduced by me into the discussion, and, accordingly, I cannot and will not try to explain the basis for that claim. Do not ask me about how absurd or wrong this claim must be or how my extension of the claim with further examples of the claimed behavior must be justified.

The rather illogical thinking that the offer of a longer warranty must be consider evidence of lesser quality of goods being sold makes no sense to me. I don’t think that is true, so it is inappropriate to require that I must explain it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 am

The offer of extended warranty explicitly excludes use of the product in commercial service.

I have seen several anecdotal accounts of certain engines, usually Honda Marine engines, having been run for 5,000-hours without failure, but these accounts are never first-hand reports. They are always nebulous references to uncited sources.

The local Army Corps of Engineers survey boat is running E-TEC engines. I believe those engines are now at about 3,000-hours of running time.