CE certification of old Whalers

A conversation among Whalers
Eriksen74

CE certification of old Whalers

Postby Eriksen74 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi guys. I am from Denmark and currently live in Georgia. I have a dream of importing a 1980’s Outrage 18 when I move back to Denmark. According to European regulations any boat must be CE certified. Does anyone know if these boats have a shared CE or the like that I can utilize or do I need someone to do a full certification specific to a boat I want to import? I have not yet found the right boat but I know it is out there.

Thank you
Christoffer

jimh

Re: CE certification of old Whalers

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:27 pm

I believe that modern Boston Whaler boats, at least certain models, have been qualified for the CE mark. I suggest you limit your search for a boat to import back to Denmark to those models. I doubt that older Boston Whaler boats that were manufactured without the CE mark or even before the CE mark existed could be easily and inexpensively certified now as being compliant.

Give Boston Whaler a call, and ask for Customer Service. I think they can tell you what models are or were carrying the CE mark. My presumption that some models have the CE mark is based on the notion that Boston Whaler is selling boats into the European Union countries now, so they must have that pedigree on some models.

Perhaps you an find a loophole or a workaround for a c.1980's boat under a category of antique boat or relic. A c.1980 OUTRAGE 18 would be about 38-years-old (or more) by the time you return to the European Union jurisdiction, and perhaps they allow exemptions for antiques.

Phil T

Re: CE certification of old Whalers

Postby Phil T » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 pm

I recall years ago a member bought a whaler here in the states and had it shipped to the UK via container.

In his case, it was an inspection/paperwork exercise.

Like Jim suggested, calling Boston Whaler Customer Service is a good idea.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003