Water Dripping From Repair on Keel

A conversation among Whalers
ferdinando

Water Dripping From Repair on Keel

Postby ferdinando » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:48 pm

My friend is in the process of purchasing a 1993 21’ Outrage on the condition that the engine checks out. While our mechanic says the engine checked out good, he advised us that the boat had damage below the first keel roller up front.

A repair was performed but the repair was not done well and there is a small drop of water coming out of the middle of the repair. Our mechanic inspected the repair and said that we had to be careful that there is no delamination.

The owner told us that the boat trailer lost a roller and this is what caused the damage to the hull.

What should I be looking for to ensure that the hull is in good condition?

Jefecinco

Re: 1993 21’ Outrage

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 am

If water is dripping from the keel where a repair has been made I would be very concerned. I would want to know how long the boat has been out of the water. Is the repair above the waterline? If so, water may be entering the hull from beneath the deck fittings or navigation light above the bow area. Otherwise, if the boat has been out of the water for more than a week and is still wet I would probably look for another boat. But I know too little about water dripping or weeping from the keel to take any risks. For the more knowledgeable it may be a minor problem.

That's another strike against roller trailers under Boston Whaler boats.
Butch

msirof2001

Re: Water Dripping From Repair on Keel

Postby msirof2001 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Agree with jefecinco. I had 1995 OUTRAGE 21, same hull, and had a similar situation. Dent to a chine. Major repair had to be done over and over again to finally fix. Essentially cutting out and replacing a grapefruit size chunk of hull. Not cheap. I would be wary.
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:51 pm

If a roller was missing how could it damage the boat? Unless the boat was support by that one point on the keel.

[Changed topic. Began to discuss his recommendations for type of trailer to use.]
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Please let us remain on the topic of how to assess the boat under discussion and whether or not there is proper concern for evidence of water dripping from a repair on the hull's keel area.

If it is desired to review the type of trailer best suited for use with a Boston Whaler boat, that is a different topic. Please start a new thread to discuss that topic.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Regarding the topic of this discussion, the appraisal of a boat offered for sale and the prospect of buying that boat, which has evidence of damage to the hull in the keel area, and from that damage there appears to be water dripping out, I offer this advice: proceed with caution.

Areas of the hull with damage below the water line which permit water into the laminate structure below the gel coat layer can cause intrusion of water into the hull. This is particularly true for portions of the hull which are part of the running surface of the hull once the boat reaches planing speed. The pressure of the water when the boat is traveling at planing speed can force water into the interior laminate below the gel coat layer.

Once water gets into the laminate or, even worse, into the foam below the laminate layer, removal of the water is a significant problem. Any boat that has evidence of having been operated with damage below the water line should be given a very close inspection. Repair of the visible damage might leave water entrapped inside the hull.

The cause of the damage is not particularly important. Most important is to know how long ago the damage occurred, how long the boat was operated in the water before the damage was repaired, and how long has the boat been operated in the water with the failed repair now evident. In my mind, any operation of the boat in the water at planing speeds could have caused intrusion of water into the hull interior, causing a problem that could be difficult and expensive to remedy. This is just the nature of the double-hull, sealed, foam-filled construction used in Boston Whaler boats.

Now that said, I also suggest the boat be observed over a period of several days to assess how much water is actually coming out. If the water output is just a few drops and it stops after the boat has been on the trailer for several days, that may be an indication of the hull not having been infiltrated with a lot of water. If the water flow is steady and a the volume of water dripping out seems to sustain for days, I would have more concern.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:28 am

From Fred's post I assumed the boat was on a roller trailer. More careful reading indicates the trailer could have been a bunk trailer and the keel roller mentioned could well have been the type used to protect the keel from a forward trailer cross member when the boat is launched or retrieved. Therefore it is probable the leak is well aft of the bow area and below the waterline. My remarks concerning the possibility of water entering the hull from forward deck fittings is very unlikely.
Butch

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:54 am

We are going to have a Surveyor look over the boat and check the hull, better to loose 300 bucks then 20 grand!

Thks for all the input guys!

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Our surveyor looked over the boat and found that the repair on the keel was poorly made and permitted a large quantity of water to enter the hull. So the deal was cancelled and a lot of heartache was avoided. My thanks to all for your advice it really helped and you were all on the money! Thanks again.