Anderson Manufacturing and Upholstery

A conversation among Whalers
Pecos23

Anderson Manufacturing and Upholstery

Postby Pecos23 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:36 am

What brand of vinyl does Anderson Manufacturing and Upholstery use for their Boston Whaler products?

How I could match [new vinyl to the color, pattern, and thickness of the vinyl on] my boat?

How could I order some material?

Anderson Manufacturing and Upholstery are an upholstery shop and I’m sure they order this as well.

I would like to recover my port and starboard bolsters and would like to use the same material if possible. I have a 2004 240 Outrage.
Any help would be appreciated.

jimh

Re: Anderson Manufacturing and Upholstery

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:25 pm

To find out what brand of vinyl Anderson uses, I recommend calling them and asking them.

To match new vinyl material to the color, pattern, and thickness of the vinyl material on your boat, request a small sample from the vendor to see how it matches.

To order material, contact the seller.

If you want to deal directly with a manufacturer of marine grade vinyl upholstery material, you may have to meet minimum order requirements. It might be simpler to buy from a reseller.

jimh

Re: Anderson MFG

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Pecos23 wrote:Anderson Manufacturing and Upholstery are an upholstery shop and I’m sure they order this as well.

I am not sure what the antecedent noun is for the pronoun "this". Are you saying that Anderson Manufacturing orders vinyl, as opposed to be being the original manufacturer of the vinyl? If so, then I agree: Anderson is a small business making marine upholstered products. They are not a manufacturer of vinyl material.

If you inquire with them, they may or may not be willing to disclose to you the sources they use. They may consider that information to be private. But there is probably no harm in asking them.

With a modern Boston Whaler boat like your 2004 model, you could also ask Boston Whaler customer service for advice about finding a reseller of the bulk material they actually used with your boat when it was made in 2004. Considering how much discussion there has been recently about problems with discoloration of the vinyl material in upholstered cushions from all boat manufacturers, the c.2004 material may not be the material presently available.

Pecos23

Re: Anderson MFG

Postby Pecos23 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Boston Whaler referee [referred?] me to [Anderson Manufacturing and Upholstery] for any replacement upholstery replacement parts for my 2004 [Outrage].

After I took the bolster off of the boat, a tag on the back said made [b]y [E]merald [C]oast [I]nteriors, [I]nc. Pace, Florida.

A google search found the company, but the phone number is no longer working. [I] read that they are no longer in business.

I spoke with Anderson, and [Tena] said that they manufacture for [Boston Whaler]. They could match the colors and material from 2004. She also said that they would be willing to sell yardage of the vinyl for $65-per-yard, but would not tell me the source of the supply.

My bolsters are faded, but have held their color. They’ve just seen 14 years of sun and use.

fno

Postby fno » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:29 pm

I think that is a reasonable response from Anderson. Tena is not obligated to give you the same advantage as an individual seeking to not use their resources and pricing from their suppliers. Having the ability to sew various materials I am still reluctant to DIY my own vinyl work and rely on reasonably priced mom and pops like Anderson.

rtk

Postby rtk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:40 am

This is not a comment on Anderson but a suggestion to seek a like kind/alternative vinyl upholstery product for your project.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Marine ... popularity

Sailrite sells vinyl upholstery products and also offers excellent customer service, technical advise and tools. If you look at their prices they are well below $65.00 per yard.

https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/produ ... 3064337926

Here is another internet supplier- I have not dealt with them but another reference for the basic product you seek with prices far below $65.00 per yard.

In my opinion sticking with OEM vinyl on a 2004 boat will not contribute to the market value of the boat in the short nor the long term. A 1940's or 1950's rare car or boat OEM definitely enhances value.

Enjoy the project- it is rewarding to do these types of projects yourself.

Rich