Tucked the Whaler in for winter season

A conversation among Whalers
dtmackey

Tucked the Whaler in for winter season

Postby dtmackey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Built a quick backbone from 2X4 and strapping and shrink wrapped over that with 7mil material. I went extra tall in case I need to cut a door into it over the winter if I need access. I shrink-wrap the engine and lower unit to prevent water and snow from getting into the propeller hub, and I also cover the winch to keep it rust free.

Next year I'm going to carry the bottom of the heat-shink another one-foot lower on the sides.

D-

Dutchman

Re: Tucked the Whaler in for winter season

Postby Dutchman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Look good and seems to fit nice in that shop, why the shrink wrap and talking about snow?
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Dutchman wrote:Look good and seems to fit nice in that shop, why the shrink wrap and talking about snow?

The boat is now outside in my backyard and I'll haul it to the property in NH where I store things. The shop is my garage and reserved for cars in the snowy season.

Here in the Boston area we've already seen a couple nights below freezing, so it's possible we'll see some early snow.

D-

fno

Postby fno » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 am

I'd leave the cars outside. They have way less "fun" value. But I do understand your dilemma.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:58 am

fno wrote:I'd leave the cars outside. They have way less "fun" value. But I do understand your dilemma.

Laughing.

I'll leave my wife's car outside (Whaler inside) next time we are expecting freezing rain or 14" of snow and when she loses her mind, I'll send her your way. ;-)

D-

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Do what I did.
Find a corner in the back yard that the admiral isn't using for flowers. Have an Amish built garage delivered, as they are movable no permits and foundation is needed, they are set on blocks. Back the boat in during the winter, put cover on and the car garage is free for both cars to stay out of the weather and everybody is happy. Hey I even had room for the camper on one side and utility trailer on the other. Win Win situation and the boat is nicely tucked away.
I use this boat garage in the summer as a wood shop and garden equipment/tool storage as the Whaler is parked in the house garage during that time.
Hey I pull the snow thrower out to the house garage and with the boat I still have room to tuck the garden-tractor under her Port bow during the winter. Still enough room to walk around her and use my work bench in the back. I love these 150's

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rvhv7qfyprEKDgos5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sAH3c7YskViZmZe96
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Dutchman wrote:Do what I did.
Find a corner in the back yard that the admiral isn't using for flowers. Have an Amish built garage delivered, as they are movable no permits and foundation is needed, they are set on blocks. Back the boat in during the winter, put cover on and the car garage is free for both cars to stay out of the weather and everybody is happy. Hey I even had room for the camper on one side and utility trailer on the other. Win Win situation and the boat is nicely tucked away.

My situation is a little difficult for that. We had a house built in a development that is under HOA rules and while we can store a single boat in the backyard with a fence, no structures are allowed back there, so this is where it currently sits, but dragging to NH later tonight. The other option would be under the porch on the patio since there's a rain diverter system under the porch, but I'd rather have that open for use since we have a firepit and a TV out there.

I have a barn in NH that would be a great place for the Whaler, but it's full of tools and other things I cannot store outside, but there's a large area beside the barn where I store 6 trailers for most of the year - 2 boats, 1 Waverunner, 1 snowmobile, 1 landscape and a dump trailer. I'd rather my yard at home be free of everything since the grass takes a beating with a trailer back there. In the season I keep the Whaler and Waverunner in my garage and cars outside.

D-