Nice anchor idea for smaller Whalers

A conversation among Whalers
dtmackey

Nice anchor idea for smaller Whalers

Postby dtmackey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Figured I'd share my anchor setup with others because I feel this is a great way to keep the line tidy and easy to use. I have 75' of line on a extension cord reel with 6' of 316 stainless chain with a quick connect to the anchor. I will be splicing in a stainless thimble and use a shackle to connect to the chain. Easy to use, stows nice and no concern with knots. Anchor is a stainless Bruce anchor and works fine for the bottom in my area.

D-

Tom Hemphill

Re: Nice anchor idea for smaller Whalers

Postby Tom Hemphill » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 pm

With that setup how do you fasten the bitter end of the anchor rode to the boat?

iammargarette

Postby iammargarette » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Is it highly durable?
BTW, is it safe to bring a dog on board then have them stay in a dog cage throughout the journey?

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 pm

iammargarette wrote:Is it highly durable?
BTW, is it safe to bring a dog on board then have them stay in a dog cage throughout the journey?

Not sure what to make of this post. Yes, the anchor setup is highly durable. As for the dog, ours does not use a crate and simply sleeps in her bed and has free reign of whatever boat she's on.

D-

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 pm

Tom Hemphill wrote:With that setup how do you fasten the bitter end of the anchor rode to the boat?

Hi Tom - Whaler is typically anchored in shallows, so no concern with the lack of the bitter end being secured since there's no risk of losing the entire rig over the side. If I was in deeper water and the risk of the line paying out too fast, I would simply yank a set length of line from the reel, secure to the Norman pin and then drop the anchor.

Speaking of bitter ends being tied, I remember when I was aboard the USCGC Spar, WLB-403 Buoy Tender out of South Portland Maine, the spring of 1987. The small boat crew in the 18 Avon RIB was working around Peaks Island and they stalled and couldn't get it started in a decent blow, they flooded the motors. The BM3 yelled at one of the seaman apprentice aboard to throw the anchor, and over the side went a nice Danforth 22S, chain, 100' of brand new twisted nylon and THE BITTER END OF THE LINE. Needless to say, that anchor setup was never seen again, but they did manage to get the twin 65HP Johnson outboards started and return to the cutter.

And that's why it's important to have the bitter end secured.

D-

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 am

dtmackey wrote:
iammargarette wrote:Is it highly durable?

Not sure what to make of this post. Yes, the anchor setup is highly durable. As for the dog, ours does not use a crate and simply sleeps in her bed and has free reign of whatever boat she's on.
D-

Ditto our dogs always did what they wanted free on board, but we used the dog flotation devices as they give you a handle on the back to pick them up or at least help them up back onto the boat.
If it is floating in the tubes or planing speed on the Whaler (see pics)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2MEW78pPcwvCrcxk6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dsfzi9krn5gxxn9UA
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:57 am

Rather than cage a dog on a boat I would leave it ashore. Dogs seem to love a boat ride and enjoy running around and seeing all the new territory they can claim. They usually calm down a bit when they get used to the environment. We had a black Labrador we couldn't take out on the boat. He simply would not stay aboard. He was a great duck retriever and would go to any length to get his target. He would stay in the blind until sent after ducks.

I've never experienced a worn out anchor or chain although I've replaced the nylon line a time or two when it became so stiff it was unpleasant to use. I now use double braid and it is very easy on my hands.
Butch

Todd

Postby Todd » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:11 pm

Hello,

There are so many options for anchors it's a process to figure out what suits each boaters needs. I've used various fluke, plow, and mushroom anchors for various applications that have worked well. For my current needs with a 160 Dauntless being anchored in sand or mud I use a Fortress FX - 7 with 8' of 1/4" rubberized chain followed by 150' of 3/8" 3 strand line. I like the anchor because it's lightweight (only four pounds) so my first mate can handle it while I maneuver the boat and it has rubber caps on the sharp points so it's less likely to damage the gelcoat.

As for the taking the dog (a 60lb collie) on the boat we do that occasionally but insist upon her wearing a doggie life vest. Collies don't swim very well.

Todd

CraigIansiti

Postby CraigIansiti » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Don't forget to secure the shackles with some SS safety wire, or if you are just using in shallow water like you mentioned, for short periods, at least a zip tie (safety wire can poke ya). Need a thimble on the anchor rode. About dogs and crates or cages on a boat.........makes it pretty hard for him to survive if an accident should happen and he gets tossed overboard in some contraption. We always use a top of the line doggie PFD and a long leash attached to that PFD and the boat. You should, too.
2015 150 Super Sport
60 Merc Command Thrust
13-3/4 x 15p
Great Lakes, MI/Lake Havasu, AZ
Practically a lifetime sailing the Great Lakes and other Offshore "Sailing" sailing;-)

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:21 am

So does that setup fit into the anchor locker of a classic Montauk?

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:34 pm

kwik_wurk wrote:So does that setup fit into the anchor locker of a classic Montauk?

It fits in the forward locker of a classic 15' Whaler. I'd expect the 17' locker to be as big or bigger.

D-