Range of Discount on New 150 MONTAUK

A conversation among Whalers
haggard

Range of Discount on New 150 MONTAUK

Postby haggard » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:30 pm

I'm looking at a 2018 150 Montauk and about to start getting quotes. I understand Whaler is a premium brand.

What is roughly the range of dealer discount on the boat?

Don't get into specific configurations or options.

For example if it's widely known that nobody ever gets 20-percent off a Whaler, I'd rather order the boat sooner instead of putting in time and effort to negotiate that far. On the other hand, if there are discounts to be had, I'll put in the time.

I know [dealer prices as a discount from MSRP] vary depending on location, inventory, time of year, and negotiating skills, but I'm not looking for that level of detail--just "in general."

Ridge Runner

Re: Range of Discount on New 150 MONTAUK

Postby Ridge Runner » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 am

I don't believe there are any general rules on discounting off the MSRP of Boston Whaler boats. As you noted there are a variables that can affect your ability to get a discount.

- Time of year you are purchasing in a specific market
- Dealer's on-site inventory
- What type of dealer you are working with
- Where are you located

For example a 2018 sitting on a dealer’s lot in Vermont in October would most likely be a good candidate for a larger discount, than a 2018 sitting in a dealer’s inventory in Florida. I have also found most of the larger corporate dealers, like MarineMax, do not offer much—if any—discounting. A local family dealer will work with you, if you are reasonable. Inventory financing of what will be a leftover 2018 boat over the course of the winter affects smaller family dealerships.

A key point: is the boat you want in a dealer's inventory? Almost any dealer that is ordering a new build for you fresh from the factory will not discount. Two years ago, at the end of the season (Fall) in New Jersey, I shopped around for my new 210 Montauk. I purchased from a local family dealer at a discount of about 15% off MSRP.
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 am

As Ridge said there are so many variables involved in arriving at a selling price that it is unpredictable. I would avoid any mega-dealer as they have little incentive to offer discounts plus they have much higher overheads than do typical smaller dealers. I believe January is a better month for buying a boat than is May. I would also look for a dealer that has a boat in-stock on which I was prepared to make an offer. Visit the dealer a few times just to kick tires and have a cup of coffee with the salesman who is often the owner. Get friendly. When it a nice cold day go in with your checkbook and ask how much of a deposit would be needed to hold the boat you want. Now's the time to make your opening offer. I would offer about 80% of MSRP for Spring delivery or sooner if that's what you want.

Don't worry about insulting the dealer just be prepared to increase your offer when he declines the 80% offer. Ask what he is willing to do for you and go from there. If you're not paying by check be sure to secure financing before starting your negotiation. If a dealer knows you are able to pay, right now, it can give you an edge when negotiating.
Butch

haggard

Postby haggard » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi all - thanks for the responses, I appreciate the advice.

My order would be a special order, not a boat on the lot, so I may lose some leverage there. But my dealer is just a few minutes drive from my home and seems very decent; to me there's value there. Considering one other brand, but there's this thing I just love about Whalers.

[Deleted sidebar topic on how the forum is moderated and presented. Please check your PM for a response to your inquiry The forum concentrates on topics related to boating in Boston Whaler boats, and does not discuss itself.--jimh]

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:12 am

It is worth noting that purchasing a Boston Whaler is NOT similar to purchasing an automobile.

While dealers used to offer inventory onsite, floor financing arrangements have been reduced. Most dealers have a display model of several models and all sales are ordered. With models not changing for several years, the sale of floor models are few.

The ordering of a boat with options is not special or custom but rather the standard method used by dealers. Any salesman reference to the contrary is merely bullshirt.

With this sales model, discounting has been greatly reduced. Often any discounts are for dealer installed options rather than factory installed. There is not much haggling to be had when purchasing a new Boston Whaler.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:11 am

Back in the last century, a dealer might order a Boston Whaler boat on speculation. The options available were limited, and many could be fitted to the boat after it left the factory. Today with options for multiple molded-in hull colors, multiple railing configurations, and significant permanent additions such as molded-in live wells, I suspect dealers order fewer boats with generic configurations on speculation of future sales and more boats with specific configurations for pre-sold orders.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 am

When you do a search on say yachtworld. boattrader or similar boating sales websites you will notice 99.5% of the new offerings for your type 2018 150 Montauk will say "call for price" as they must be ordered and aren't on the "floor".
Doing so (calling) you'll find out that the prices are all very close (within 1-2%) so it comes down to which dealer do I like and could give me the best service if needed.
Like Phil said there aren't any true discounts so you must call and ask it is not like buying a car. Depending on your options and being a 2018 you still get the 60 HP Merc., electronics, fish pkge., bimini, cushions, trailer, and cover====>>MSRP of $35K+ which you might get for $31.5K therefore I would say you might be able to negotiate a 8-10% discount off MSRP.
Good luck in your endeavors and I know you'll like this Model for its all around simplicity and easy storage.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot