Source for Instrument Panels, Hull Decoration

A conversation among Whalers
jhpeterson3

Source for Instrument Panels, Hull Decoration

Postby jhpeterson3 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:28 am

I am in the process of cleaning up my 1990 Outrage 17. I would like to replace or refinish the instrument panels at the helm. This boat has two on each side of the wheel. I am also looking for the black accent line that runs down along each side. [Suggest sources for replacement parts.]

frontier

Re: 1990 Outrage 17

Postby frontier » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Call Sue at Twin Cities Marine in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, 920-793-2715.

jimh

Re: 1990 Outrage 17 Instrument Panels, Hull Decoration

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:44 am

The instrument panels are probably made from aluminum sheet. They are painted. You can easily refurbish them by removing the panels from the helm, and then removing all the instruments and switches installed on the panels. Before removing any wiring, take detailed photographs with a digital camera. Make a sketch of the wiring. Identify the wiring with tape markers with legible names.

Once you remove the panels, you can easily clean them and repaint them. If you want to preserve the white border stripes, you can duplicate them with some white pinstripe tape. Whether a c.1990 OEM panel is still available is not a certainty. The OEM provider is listed in the REFERENCE section article on sources. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... helmPanels

If you need to make new panels, you can do this easily, particularly if the panels are rectangular and have no odd shapes. You can buy new aluminum sheet and have it sheared to the exact size at a suitable supplier. If the gauges have circular holes you can easily make them with a good hole saw. Aluminum is easy to cut or saw.

I have doubt that panels for a 28-year-old model are being stocked on the shelf for sale as replacement parts by many vendors.

Hull decorations and decals can be obtained from a good supplier. See the REFERENCE section article for sources for them:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tml#decals

f8f1

Re: Source for Instrument Panels, Hull Decoration

Postby f8f1 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am

I've refurbished my gauge panels in my 1986 Outrage. I made new panels out of "sign" aluminum stock I salvaged. I elected to not pin stripe the panels, I just couldn't get the pin stripe to apply to my satisfaction.

I'm going to do the switch panels this winter. One roadblock I've run into. What is a method to apply switch labels to the freshly painted panels, e.g. nav lights, compass, deck lights, bilge pump, AIS silent? My examination of the existing panels seems to indicate the stripping and lettering were painted, maybe applied by a stamp.

I called Ultra-Panel marine (the OEM). They do not carry the panels anymore. I was also unable to find out how the pin striping and labels were applied.
John Handcock and Abalonee
18' 1986 Boston Whaler Outrage
150 ETEC
Clare Mary WDH3114
Class B AIS

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:33 am

Labels could be done with rub-on transfer letters. I still have a special spring-loaded round-ball-point burnishing tool for applying transfer letters that I bought about 40 years ago, when that method was a common way to create a label on a home made electronic project.

Transfer letters are often sold at a hobby shop.

f8f1

Postby f8f1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Jim,
Thanks for the lead. I looked at the transfer method of labeling the panels. I don't think the transfers would be durable enough for the exposed environment of my console. I also don't think I would be able to apply the transfers "neatly" enough for my standards.

A closer examination of the original panels leads me to believe the lettering and stripping was silk screened onto the panels.

I'm going to speak to an old hippie silk screen-er buddy of mine and see what he thinks of the project.

If anybody else has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.
150 ETEC
Clare Mary WDH3114
Class B AIS

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:50 am

I became rather adept at using transfer lettering when I was making technical illustrations in the 1970’s for line art to be included in technical manuals I was writing.

If exposed to weather the transfer letters would need a protective top coat sprayed on them.

Another idea: have small plastic engraved labels made. Labels of that type were commonly used on boat electrical panels in the 1960’s. They give a panel a nice retro look. A long-time boat dealer in my area had hundreds of these pre-made with legends appropriate for a boat electrical panel in stock—I bet they dated from many years ago.

f8f1

Postby f8f1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:47 pm

I currently use this Blue Seas product – Small Format Distribution Panel Labels here’s a link from West Marine https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea ... ecordNum=2 The look is just OK. The labels have stayed on for three years. There are some circuits I have switched with no pre-printed labels available e.g. AIS Silent and AIS Emergency.

I'm looking to label each circuit on top of the switch location and the circuit fuse size below the associated fuse holder.

I would like to achieve a nice professional look lettering for my switch panels. I have time, Salmon season doesn’t open until the first Saturday in April.
150 ETEC
Clare Mary WDH3114
Class B AIS

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 am

One other method is to place a thin, pre-drilled and pre-printed plastic panel over a blank metal panel (mostly for strength). Most common color would be white lettering on a black panel. There are two places one could have such a panel created; in the experimental aircraft area, or possibly in your area that specializes in trophy, nameplate, and awards type engraving. One such company in my area is about two miles from me. If you want to go the aircraft company, I receive a monthly subscription that have aircraft services offered and would check for you.

I think it would look very factory.

Regards - Don