Dauntless 17 Dual Console

A conversation among Whalers
Joey D

Dauntless 17 Dual Console

Postby Joey D » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Everyone. I am new to the forum. I am considering buying a Dual Console Dauntless 17. I would be a first-time boat owner, but I grew up fishing Long Island Sound with my dad on his Wellcraft 17 CC and the 20 Step V. I am on the Jersey Shore, and can keep the boat in the Manasquan or Shark River inlets.

Is the 17 Dauntless big enough for the ocean?

I do not plan to get out on rough days, or even go out very far. I just want to fish and cruise around.

I like the Dual Console because of the open bow that has cushioned seats--my wife does not want a CC. Thanks everyone Fot your thoughts.

—Joe

rtk

Re: Dauntless 17 Dual Console

Postby rtk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:49 am

Welcome Joey D. I've been looking at that same [DAUNTLESS 17] 1994 to 1997 model year.

I have a 1966 Boston Whaler 16-footer that I use in the ocean when weather permits. I use Barnegat Inlet which has much worse sea conditions than Manasquan and Shark River. Last time I fished the ocean was the Monday before Thanksgiving, and I was rewarded with a very nice striped bass a couple miles outside the inlet.

Weather and sea conditions will determine the suitability of a 17-foot boat for use on the ocean. I watch the NOAA marine forecast for many days before making the decision to head outside. Just watch for the afternoon southeast seabreeze around noon or so. Fills in quick and you'll get beat up pretty good even on a day where the morning conditions are very calm.

The Dauntless 17 Dual Console looks like a great boat for the area. I myself am looking for a dual console model as opposed to the center console for a bit more comfort in addition to fish-ability.

Rich