Winter Projets

A conversation among Whalers
fno

Winter Projets

Postby fno » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:08 am

Now that we are in the depths of Winter, what projects are on the list for some of us this year?

Having the advantage of living in Florida, I can boat year round, but cloudy winter days are best for improvements. I am leaning towards trim tabs. Still on the fence about whether to go with Bennett or Lenco, so chime in if you have experience with either product.

Another option is to install a Simrad autopilot on my 210 Outrage--a frivolous project

Also, Jimh has inspired me to try out an AIS receiver or VHF radio with AIS.

So what are others going to do this Winter?

porthole

Re: Winter Projects

Postby porthole » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:31 am

1999 21 Outrage:

--new tires (and maybe wheels) for the trailer;

--a power winch

--a new fulton jack on the trailer (done)

--hardtop for the T-top. I have someone local who will lay one up for me

--RADAR add-on to my Lowrance HDS Gen3, although now I wish I had purchased the 9-inch version instead of the 7-inch

--Lowrance autopilot

--maybe swap out the Northstar 952 and put the Humminbird 997 back in

Re-power would be nice, but after getting some preliminary cost numbers today at the Atlantic City Boat Show, that looks like it may be next winter, if at all.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Re: Winter Projets

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:39 am

My winter projects:

For the website, which in the long winter often receives more attention than in the summer:

--write and illustrate at least one major new REFERENCE article; this is in progress and close to being done;

--continue the general overhaul of older website material to fix minor HTML code errors, site navigation problems, and broken cgi-bin calls that resulted from the change in hosting providers in October 2015; and

--write and illustrate one major trip report; this is in progress but has gotten off-track in the last month or two.

For the boat, I don't have any urgent projects, but somewhere on the horizon might be:

--a new DSC radio with AIS receiver and NMEA-2000 networking, but I am waiting to see what products are revealed at the Spring boat shows

--an auto-pilot; but this project can't be done unless I change the hydraulic steering to a balanced cylinder ram, which more or less doubles the cost

--have a mooring cover made by a local canvas artisan; this is probably the most likely to happen item for the boat.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:21 am

I believe the OEM trim tabs on the 210 Outrage are Lenco. Although I've had and liked Bennet hydraulic trim tabs the Lenco electric tabs are far simpler to install and are in widespread use with excellent reported reliability. I have heard that Bennet now markets electric trim tabs although I've not heard any reports on their use nor installation.
Butch

ConB

Postby ConB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:53 am

Shovel snow and contemplating why the old Johnson was blowing fuses on start up at the end of last season.

Hoping the ground hog was right about an early spring and the bay won't freeze over this month.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:50 pm

The 1988 Johnson 60 HP motor that came with my project 15 SS ran really great last year but looks very ragged. Started just before Christmas on a "paint the motor project". First was degrease and clean. Then wire brush, scrape, and sand as much of the old paint as possible. Clean again, then mask all parts not to be painted. Of course all of this is being done while motor is still mounted on transom. Obtained correct primer and paint from West Marine and realized "rattle cans" should be used in min. temp. of 60 degrees. Fortunately we have some warm days this time of year but not many. Got the primer on in early Jan. then waited while we had two snow storms. Turned warm this week and got 3 coats of Johnson white on for a pretty good finish. Have just ordered new decals and will apply a clear coat over them. Project almost complete.

LibertyBill

Postby LibertyBill » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Complete Restoration of an early 60s classic. Image

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:00 pm

I have a couple of 30/35 hp Johnnyrude motors and several years ago I took them apart to build one good one with electric start and remote controls. Now I am concentrating on building another out of the left over parts. It will be an electric start tiller (tiller handle scavenged from a 15hp- fits!). I need it to sell with my old Lund 18 foot aluminum skiff. I also need to remove the console and controls so it will be a no frills tiller skiff. I won't be needing it since I love my 15 foot Whaler so much!

BlueSmoke

Postby BlueSmoke » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:19 pm

[A]ll the wood is off my boat, so biggest project is sanding and varnishing. [A]lso took apart my light pole and the O-ring [disintegrated]. I want to make that sound again. In addition the light pole connecting piece was too big to move through the bracket, which meant I could take down the light but not move it more than 4 inches. I need to find a good connecting piece to replace it with and find a spot to mount light pole out of way.

[O]n my mind is rewiring the [sump] pump.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Moving right along, the hardest part is finding where I tossed all the leftover parts! Check out the shifter I rigged. Later tiller models used that shifter handle and ran the rod inside the cover. I bought the handle and fabricated a stainless bracket and some stainless rod and ran it outside and it works great. Much better than reaching around the cover trying to grab the shifter handle which was designed for remote controls. Image

oysterman

Postby oysterman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:09 pm

Replaced almost all of the rusty and worn hardware on my trailer. Looks near new.

cc378

Postby cc378 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:05 am

My new to me 1990 Outrage 25:

1. Repower twin Honda 150s
2. Make new teak doors on super console and new track hatch covers on transom deck
3. Replace all drain tubes
4. Replace fuel hoses, pickups and gauge
5. Reseal deck
6. Make new cushions
7. Rewire boat
8. Replace rubrail
10. Replace deck access plates
11. Compound and wax

brill

Postby brill » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:23 am

2000 Conquest 28 - I will be finishing up the installation of a Kahlenberg air horn and on the 1980 13 Sport I am considering converting the 30hp Johnson to electric start once I find an appropriate donor engine.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:28 am

Brill- if you do convert to electric start you should also add charging capability. That means adding a charge coil under the flywheel and maybe a rectifier if it doesn't already have one. On some older models like my 1980, the charge coil is part of the stator and the whole expensive assembly has to be swapped over. On later models like my 1985, the charge coil is separate and easily/cheaply added. If you find the right donor you can just swap everything right over. I used to have several 30hp models with electric start but no charging and unless you trailer the boat and can recharge the battery at home, the situation gets old really fast.

brill

Postby brill » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks for the tip, Oldslowandugly. I do plan on adding charge capabilities. I was considering just adding charge capability to the existing pull start configuration; but figured I would be better off with a complete upgrade. The electric start would also give me piece of mind if my wife or son were out in the Whaler and there was a problem resulting in a hard starting scenario. The multi-pull exercise on a misbehaving outboard can get old real fast as compared to turning a key. Now, just waiting for the right donor engine to come along.

I also have a 1956 Johnson 10hp which I have been considering bring back into service.

John_Madison CT

Postby John_Madison CT » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:26 pm

I'd like to share notes with you. I have a '89 25' Whaler Outrage Cuddy/Whaler Drive/Super Console. I have original twin 150hp Johnson's with 1200 and 850 hours.

cc378 wrote:My new to me 1990 Outrage 25:

1. Repower twin Honda 150s
2. Make new teak doors on super console and new track hatch covers on transom deck
3. Replace all drain tubes
4. Replace fuel hoses, pickups and gauge
5. Reseal deck
6. Make new cushions
7. Rewire boat
8. Replace rubrail
10. Replace deck access plates
11. Compound and wax

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:28 am

Hey Brill, why don't you be a real belt-n-braces guy and do as I did. Have pull start AND electric start! As long as you are converting over, just leave the pull start recoil and hood in place and add the electric start motor/charger/rectifier. I ran a 30hp for many years set up that way and I think I had to resort to the pull start maybe twice. But man, was I glad I had it!