1971 Outrage 21 Factory Hull Number Location

A conversation among Whalers
rtk

1971 Outrage 21 Factory Hull Number Location

Postby rtk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 am

I just acquired a project 1971 Outrage 21. I cannot find a stenciled hull number. Where is it located? I am pretty confident of the manufacture year since it is a ribside. There definitely has been some "refinishing" over the years of the top cap and interior so I am assuming it has been painted over.

Rich

jimh

Re: 1971 Outrage 21 Factory Hull Number Location

Postby jimh » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:12 am

RICH--you've got a nice boat there with the ribside model--a very unique Boston Whaler.

I don't know for certain exactly where on a c.1971 OUTRAGE 21 you''d find the stencil number, but I would carefully look in any forward lockers. I assume you're hoping to perhaps reveal it, so I understand you'd want a very precise location to hunt for. Maybe another 21 OUTRAGE owner can give a better hint.

In general terms, the location of the stencil number on Boston Whaler boat hulls is described in the FAQ. See

Q2: Where is the Hull Identification Number?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

Also, I am certain that Chuck Bennett at Boston Whaler knows the exact location. Better give him a call before he retires this year.

rtk

Postby rtk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:39 pm

Thank you Jim. I have loved this model going back to when I was a kid in the 1970's. It's going to take a good deal of work to get her water ready but I do enjoy doing fiberglass and/or paint work. It is a bare boat- only thing included was the bow rail and fittings so a complete interior will be necessary.

Trailered it back from just north of Boston last week to the Toms River, NJ area so it is kind of neat that it came from where it was "born". Especially since it lived in Florida for a very good number of years- as recent as 2015 based on the Florida registration sticker. These boats sure get around. Made for a great January during the winter doldrums. 1,280 miles- one round trip to look at it and one round trip to bring her home.

But it seems as though the hull is very sound- no bottom paint. The top cap or ribside shell is quite beat up from the sun and ghost accessory holes from rod holder installations, etc. That goes for the cockpit sole as well.

I'm glad you gave me the heads up about Chuck- I intended to email him with the stencil number to obtain the boat history. I'll have to get right on that- he has always been wonderful about answering questions that I have had in the past. I am very happy for him.

It is not in the anchor locker that I can see but I did not look far forward under the front deck where there is additional storage "wells" so I will do so.

The transom is drilled for twin engines so I think it only appropriate that I take that as a sign that I buy an additional E-TEC 60 to pair with the one I already own. Or perhaps two new ones since they have such a great warranty offer. Decisions, decisions.....

As always thank you and hope all is well.

Rich

sraab928

Postby sraab928 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:22 pm

[The stencil number on a 1971 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 21 is] located in the rear sump (drain) area). Look under the rear deck. There is a sump area. The stencil should be right on the front of it.

Not the best picture but [it is] what I have right now:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472 ... d136b2.jpg
Scott
1971 Boston Whaler Outrage 21 - under restoration
1974 Boston Whaler Revenge 21

rtk

Postby rtk » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:58 pm

Thank you so much Scott for your photo of the location of the number. Mr. Bennett provided me with a photo also which shows the same location.

I thought this was the location but someone evidently thought it was a good idea to cut an access portal in this location to install a bronze raw water pickup and a bronze thru hull transducer in the bottom of the hull and to access the bottom engine attachment bolts. I scraped away a bit of the caulk that I assume is there to seal a home brew manufactured access plate after cutting the hole. A bit of the stencil did survive but the cut out and the access plate is missing in action.

Anyone good with encryption of partial numbers or solving these types of puzzles?

Looks like 005?? or 007?? to me to start.

Rich

1971 21' Ribside Serial number. Aft sump[672].jpg
1971 21' Ribside Serial number. Aft sump[672].jpg (82.88 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Attachments
rtk 71 2.jpg
rtk 71 2.jpg (134.44 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
rtk 71.jpg
rtk 71.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 4034 times