Outboard Engines 20 to 25-HP; Steering Methods; Mounting Remote Controls; Other Advice.2

A conversation among Whalers
svsonora

Outboard Engines 20 to 25-HP; Steering Methods; Mounting Remote Controls; Other Advice.2

Postby svsonora » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi everyone. I plan to buy a a little 13 with a solid hull and do a restoration job to use as a runabout in my local river. Other times, I sail boats out in the Chesapeake bay.

I am new to outboard motors of this size. I plan to power with a 20 to 25-HP.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of pulley and cable steering compared to Teleflex?

How do the throttle and transmission controls mount?

Is there other information I should know?

I would appreciate any general advice. Thank you!

Everything [else] looks straightforward:

--fiberglass work where needed;
--drill hockey pucks for mounting points;
--some sort of electrical system for lighting;
--basic woodworking for control console and seats;
--place to put fuel tank;
--place to put a storage locker;
--Bimini frame.

I think I can get all the work done pretty cheaply. I might enhance the woodwork a bit with gauge mounts, seat backs, storage chests, and so on.

jimh

Re: Outboard Engines 20 to 25-HP; Steering Methods; Mounting Remote Controls; Other Advice.

Postby jimh » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Your decision to buy an older 13-foot Boston Whaler for use as an open skiff on protected water is a good choice. Powering with 20 to 25-HP is also a good plan.

Your inquiry has too many questions for a cohesive discussion. If you need advice on a particular topic, you should post separate inquiries for each topic, probably in the REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS section. It may be prudent to wait until some time in the future when you have bought the boat to begin inquires about specific repairs or modifications you discover will be needed.

As "general advice" I suggest you concentrate first on finding a nice used 13-footer to buy. Unless you enjoy working on boats more than you enjoy using boats, I recommend you find a boat that is in good condition with a hull that will not need extensive restoration. If you actually enjoy working on boats more than operating them, then you can find many old 13-footers that will give you plenty of work to restore and satisfy that interest.

I will try to remark on wire rope and pulley steering compared to modern mechanical cable steering in regard to a 13-footer:

Older 13-footers used wire rope and pulley steering. There is nothing wrong with that method. Its rigging is more complicated than the modern mechanical cable steering systems. If you buy an old 13-footer with wire rope and pulley steering you should be able to refurbish it without too much trouble, as long as all the components are there and the pulleys are not worn with grooves from the wire rope. Replacement of the wire rope might be all that is needed. If you need to replace pulleys and fittings you may have to look for used parts. Small race boats still use the wire rope and pulley steering, so there may be parts available.

A wire rope and pulley steering will transmit the engine steering torque to the steering wheel. Some modern mechanical cable steering systems have a clutch mechanism that tends to isolate the steering torque when the wheel is not being turned, and that makes the helmsman's feel of the steering torque much less. For some helmsmen, the feel of the steering torque is considered a useful feedback; others prefer to not have to constantly restrain the wheel from being turned by the engine steering torque.

svsonora

Re: Outboard Engines 20 to 25-HP; Steering Methods; Mounting Remote Controls; Other Advice.

Postby svsonora » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Thank you. I'll be on the lookout for either a good boat or a solid hull that needs minimal fiberglass work. I hate working on boats, but I do know how to work on them, reluctantly, with a close to professional grade finish on most projects.

Just wanted to say, the content on this forum and website is amazing!

jimh

Re: Outboard Engines 20 to 25-HP; Steering Methods; Mounting Remote Controls; Other Advice.2

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

Let me share my experience: I have purchased three Boston Whaler boats, all used boats. In each case, the boat was in excellent condition. My goal was not restoration, but preservation. I have made improvements, but mostly in the realm of engine, rigging, and electrical or electronics, areas where I feel I have expertise and experience.

Fundamental hull integrity is critical when buying a used Boston Whaler, unless you just want a big project on your hands.

Gel coat condition can vary in older boats. Hulls left out in the weather and poorly cared for will often have big problems with the gel coat. Boats kept out of the sun and weather and given proper care can have gel coat in excellent condition, even if more than 40-years old.

Older Boston Whaler skiffs used very good teak or mahogany wood for fittings, seats, and other components. If the wood was well cared for it can be in very good condition after 40-years. Even wood with a weathered finish can be restored. But badly rotted wood or missing wood components will be expensive to replace.

svsonora

Re: Outboard Engines 20 to 25-HP; Steering Methods; Mounting Remote Controls; Other Advice.2

Postby svsonora » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:58 am

Gotcha, I get what you are talking about. I restored a 1974 30 foot sailboat over one winter. It looks sparkling now, but I definitely don't want to repeat it. I do work with wood regularly, so that's not a problem for me. But I don't want to be dealing with structural problems or fixing major fiberglass problems. I had to redo a deck hole left from a cleat being pulled out in a storm. shoddy repair job from previous owner. Was sooo much work to make it look nice.

That being said, I just stumbled upon a restored 13 with a good price with a EFI 25hp outboard to boot, so I'm gonna see if I can pick it up this weekend.