Mercury VesselView Mobile Module Sale

A conversation among Whalers
Rascal

Mercury VesselView Mobile Module Sale

Postby Rascal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:01 pm

Mercury has their VesselView Mobile module on sale for $150 through March 31, 2019 if purchased directly from Mercury. This hardware module plugs into a 2004 (or newer) Mercury engine to send data to a Mercury application on your [iOS or Android] mobile device. The application for your mobile device is free. Below is a link to Mercury’s website that explains what VesselView Mobile is and has information about the sale. To order the module from Mercury follow the red text link that says “purchased directly from Mercury Marine.”

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/vesselview-mobile/
Rascal (Scott)
2015 170 Montauk

zigzag930

Re: Mercury VesselView Mobile Module Sale

Postby zigzag930 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Good deal. Thanks for posting. I ordered one.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:25 pm

After you purchase the $150 module, what else to you need to connect the module to the engine?

Does the module just plug into a connector already on all Mercury engines?

Does the module sit under the engine cowling?

Is there a space provided for it on all engines under the cowling?

Do you need to have a Smartcraft network already installed in order to use the $150 module?

I didn't see any information about the installation process on the website promoting the product.

The original price of the module is not stated. The website does mention the $150 price represents a 45-percent discount. This means

Original Price - 0.45 x Original price = $150.
0.55 Original price = $150
Original price = $150/.55 = $273

That is an expensive Bluetooth adaptor. The range for Bluetooth can be limited. Is the device a Class I or Class II Bluetooth device?

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Actually, there is quite a bit of information on the Mercury website including videos of how to connect. Go to the FAQ section and most info is there.

I believe there are two methods:

1) for supported engines without Smartcraft, it appears you can install under the hood.
2) for engines already connected to Smartcraft gauges, you connect at the console (dash) to an existing spare Smartcraft port.

Prices on fleabay, etc are $320 - 400, so this is a great deal.

Bluetooth specs listed on the website as well. For me this will be a great way to display all the engine temperatures, pressures, boost, trim, fuel economy on a nice easy to ready MFD (tablet or smartphone).

Hope this helps, but I'll post more once it arrives and I hook it up.

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:26 pm

I paid full price last summer. I think it was $275. I mostly use it to try and accurately track my fuel usage, and to verify hours on my engine. I installed under the Mercury 150 FOURSTROKE engine cowling, but I think I saw a connector that would work in my center console. I might move it there in the spring.

At the sale price, it's a no-brainer. At full price, I still think it's worth it for the data it provides. The only downsides that I can see:

--every time you shut down the engine(s), you need to reconnect it to bluetooth.
    --I haven't found the fuel usage to be 100% accurate, but I'm still trying to track it closely, so that could be my error----I wish it had trim but it doesn't
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

Rascal

Postby Rascal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks for the additional information about how you’ve liked it. I agree at this price it’s very worth it to get additional information not displayed on your gauges including fault codes. I plan to order one as well. If you already have a SmartCraft connection at the dash that’s a better choice than under the cowing to be closer with less interference. I understand it doesn’t provide as much data from lower horsepower motors, but I can no longer find a chart on Mercury’s website that explains the differences.
Rascal (Scott)
2015 170 Montauk

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:32 am

zigzag930 wrote:Go to the FAQ section and most info is there.

Please give the URL to the FAQ section that has additional information. On the webpage at the URL mentioned above, I did not see any information provided on the topics I asked about. A URL to the answers would be much appreciated by me and perhaps other readers.

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:37 am

Here is the URL. https://p.widencdn.net/hxqqkg/8M01273408_Final

Also, I was told by Merc this morning that [VESSELVIEW MOBILE or VV M] can be installed in the cowling or in the console for motors with Smartcraft, so the user has a choice. I will [install VESSELVIEW MOBILE] in the console to reduce [exposure to] vibration and heat. Also, [installing in the console] shortens the distance to the smartphone, which is an advantage.

I specifically asked Merc support if Trim and other functions like "Boost" will be available via the VesselView Mobile App, and they said, "Yes."

I was planning to buy a trim gauge, but this makes installing the VV M a better choice.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks for the URL. For some reason--not sure why--that page opens with the scrolling set rather way down into the information. Be sure to scroll back to the top to see all the material.

The BlueTooth is the newer BlueTooth Low Energy. More information on that technology at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_Low_Energy

It looks like just about everything will have "an App" soon. This is a good move by Mercury to provide this feature.

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:02 am

zigzag930 wrote:....I specifically asked Merc support if Trim and other functions like Boost will be available via the Vessel View Mobile and they said, "Yes."

Interesting, but I'm a bit skeptical. What engine do you have? I can't find any trim indication on my app for my 150 HP FOURSTROKE. Note that the word "Trim" isn't anywhere in that owner's manual document. Maybe they can upgrade the firmware to show that. I'll have to do some more reading.
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:58 pm

I have a 2007 VERADO 200. I called to confirm trim and other functions are available. Based on this information I order the [VesselView Mobile module]. I will be very unhappy if the information Mercury provided was incorrect.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:18 pm

After having watched two short presentations that demonstrate the installation, it appears that when you get the Mercury VesselView Mobile module it includes a cable assembly that has a 10-pin Smartcraft network connector, some sort of unidentified connector for mating with the VesselView Mobile module, and then another 10-Pin Smartcraft connector onto which a Smartcraft 10-pin Terminator (not supplied) is to be mated, if the VesselView Mobile module is to be installed under the engine cowling. (There is already a 10-pin terminator on the engine's connector; you just move it to the new cable.) The length of this cable assembly is about two-feet, which should provide enough distance to find some place under the engine cowling to locate the VesselView Mobile module in a location away from any moving parts of the engine and away from any high-temperature parts of the engine.

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Well with any luck, I'll be able to confirm all of this information soon.

[RASCAL]--thanks for the head's up on this great deal.

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:58 pm

A week and I don't even have a shipping notice yet. Bummer.

UPDATE: the Vessel View Mobile device was received on February 15, 2019.

[A new topic, how to install the Mercury VesselView Mobile module has been separated from this thread discussing the promotional sale and discount pricing. The new topic will be discussed in SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL.