New Mercury VERADO Engines

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

New Mercury VERADO Engines

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:57 am

Yesterday while doing business at the local MarineMax store I saw a pair of new VERADO engines attached to a SeaRay boat. They look as though Mercury Marine borrowed a BRP engine designer to do the new VERADO design. They look to me to be amazingly similar to the E-TEC G2 design. It's quite a departure from the previous design. One could say it's a radical change. I expect a lot of comments about the looks of that engine in the future. When the G2 design was released there was an avalanche of negative comments on a boating blog I frequently visit. I look forward to reading the comments on the new VERADO in the next few days.
Butch

jimh

Re: New Verado Design

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:19 am

Are you sure the engine you saw was branded as a VERADO?

Mercury recently introduced several non-supercharged FOURSTROKE models with an appearance similar to the E-TEC G2.

See

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3126&p=18718

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:01 pm

The rumblings I have heard about VERADO engines have seemed to say it was going away in the lower horsepower versions, say 250 and lower, in the six-cylinder models and completely gone in the four cylinder models, all replaced by non-supercharged FOURSTROKE models.

onlyawhaler

Postby onlyawhaler » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:36 pm

The new entries from Mercury Marine are confusing.

From what I can tell, they are still making the 350 and 400 straight-six supercharged engines. They are the traditional prawn-shaped look that they have had for years. These are the last of the big VERADO engines.

The new 200, 250, and 300 are new V8 non-supercharged engines that have that harder angular E-TEC G2 appearance. They are also calling these VERADO models on some versions, as well. Yet I see some of these new engines without the VERADO sticker. Confusing on what is a VERADO or not in the lower power class

Totally new and different from a year ago, only the 350 and 400 for sure are the last supercharged engines. The 400 recieved a rating of a production, non-racing certification at the Miami boat show a week ago. It was classified as a racing engine before.

They are also carrying over this new harder angular look in a new V6 non-supercharged version in the 175

Onlyawhaler

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:47 am

I only looked at the engines and I liked the design much more than the previous Verados. There was a silver "Verado" label or logo on the cowling similar to the one on other Verados I've seen although smaller. As to whether the engines are supercharged or naturally aspirated I can't say. I may be at MarineMax this PM and, if so, I will ask about the Verado logo being used and get back to you. If I had a smart phone I'd include a picture.

BTW, the labor rate there is $118 per hour. Verado certified technicians are rare and costly. At least they are having a $100 early bird seasonal discount on a 100 hour service. I'm also having the Montauk detailed and won't share the cost of that. Getting old and keeping a fairly large boat in excellent condition is costly. I have group 31 AGM batteries and find myself incapable of changing them. End of whine!
Butch

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:54 am

The new V8 300 HP Verado is a naturally aspirated engine. Why it is called a Verado is a puzzle. I'll speculate it is for marketing.
Butch

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:47 pm

I don’t think the new Mercury FOURSTROKE model look like an E-TEC G2.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:48 am

I think these latest Mercury FOURSTROKE engines look very similar to the Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines introduced about four or five years ago.

VERADO must now mean the engine has a subset of features of the original VERADO “propulsion system” (as Mercury renamed these outboard engines) but not the small-displacement in-line six cylinder block and without supercharged forced air induction. Perhaps the midsection and gearcase now creates a VERADO, instead of the supercharger and 2.7-liter displacement block trying to make 400-HP.

Don SSDD

Postby Don SSDD » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:54 am

I see [Brunswick] announced new controls for operation of five- and six-engine boats. I wonder if the boats come with a trailer for the fuel tank?
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

jimh

Re: New Mercury VERADO Engines

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:20 am

Just to be clear about the APPEARANCE of the recently introduced non-supercharged, non-in-line-six-cylinder new outboard engines labeled as VERADO, here is what they look like:

verado-250.png
Fig. 1. VERADO FOURSTROKE from Mercury
verado-250.png (90.79 KiB) Viewed 7218 times

As mentioned above, this new VERADO has a faceted and angular appearance, somewhat akin to the Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines, which were introduced about five years ago in 2014. As mentioned above, there was significant objection to the then very new styling of the G2 engine cowling. For more about the E-TEC G2 introduction, see the lengthy and nicely illustrated thread that accompanied that event, which includes comments like this:

These new evinrudes may have some nice engineering features but are just too ugly for me to want to put one a classic whaler.

Will we hear the same about the new VERADO FOURSTROKE Not-Supercharged Not-In-Line-Six engines?

Are there significant aesthetic objections to using one of these new VERADO FOURSTROKE Not-Supercharged Not-In-Line-Six engines on a classic Boston Whaler boat for re-powering?

Jefecinco

Re: New Mercury VERADO Engines

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:49 am

Now that BRP has broken ground with the G2 design I doubt there will be as much uproar with the new Mercury design.

I liked the looks of the G2 when it was introduced and the design has continued to grow on me. I also like the looks of the new Mercury design. I don't think the new designs look any more incongruous on a classic Boston Whaler than do the old Mercury Tower of Power or Bearcat.

Boats evolve for the better. I admire our 1981 Sport 13 with the pretty furniture but it is kept in the garage and rarely used. For a boat of the same size used daily I would far rather have a new 130 Sport. When our 190 Montauk is sold I may replace it with a new 130 Sport or 150 Montauk but the reality is that we will probably boat less and use the 13 Sport.
Butch