Seat Fabricator Willing to Ship to the U.K

A conversation among Whalers
Mattwarner

Seat Fabricator Willing to Ship to the U.K

Postby Mattwarner » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:51 am

[Wants to know a fabricator who can ship a seat for a Boston Whaler to the United Kingdom.]

Endlessquest

Re: Seat Fabricator Willing to Ship to the U.K

Postby Endlessquest » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:29 am

Try Anderson Uphostery & Manufacturing or Specialty Marine. Both make the rear bench seat to OEM specs. Expect the cost to be $1000 $1300 plus shipping. I heard Anderson quality is much better then Specialty.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:09 am

For advice on recommended vendors, please see the article in REFERENCE.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html

Arrangements for shipping overseas will have to be negotiated with a particular vendor. I would not rely upon third party representations of which vendor is willing to ship overseas. Contact the vendor to arrange shipping and costs.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Matt -

Are you looking for a full bench seat for the stern? Confirm.

Cheers.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Mattwarner

Postby Mattwarner » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am

Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting this, I would love to find someone selling an OEM (not speciality) rear bench seat for my 17 Montauk who would be willing to help another whaler owner out by arranging shipping to the UK.

I could have one made locally (or fashion something out of wood) but I wont be happy as I know what I want!

I have spoken to Andersons and all my upolstery is new from them last year, however shipping and import tax was horrific on just the RPS and cooler cushions let alone a bench seat.

Absolutely no urgency, its unlikely that i will ever find one in the UK although many had this option from new as Whalers in the UK were popular for pleasure use in our natural harbours rather than for fishing so accomodation and comfort were more important to buyers that deck space.

If i could get one shipped for $750 all in i would be happy and have seen a few for sale around the $400-$500 mark, sea freight shipping would be substaintially cheaper and finding a friendly seller would mean the customs value could be set fairly low as a spare part rather than paying 25% tax on full retail.

Photo Credit: Jim Hebert

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:12 am

While not exactly what you are looking for, I recall a dozen or so members over the years constructing their own version of a stern seat. Reasons for not going the full wraparound seat included weight, price, space, availability.

There are several different approaches. All were well done, functional and visually appealing.

For storage - two coolers with cushions, custom rail supporting a custom cushion backrest.

For fishing - Wood slatted platform with removable cushions that can be used as a platform. Back design included rail or hinged wooden slatted back.

I could do some digging around and find the threads and photos if you are interested.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Mattwarner

Postby Mattwarner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks Phil,

I think the best option will be to come up with my own version, I like the idea of both storage underneath, a backrest and pull out sun lounger