Obtaining Boat Title

A conversation among Whalers
Caseycjones

Obtaining Boat Title

Postby Caseycjones » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:07 pm

I have an old Boston Whaler15-foot boat with no [Vehicle Identification Number] on the [hull]. I was [given] the boat by my grandfather when he passed away. I am unable to find the title.

Q1: how would I go about getting a new title for the boat?

Thanks

ConB

Re: Obtaining Boat Title

Postby ConB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Not all states title small boats. Does the boat have registration numbers on the bow? May be that's all there was and your state will gladly take your money to re-register it. Check with them.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Caseycjones

Re: Obtaining Boat Title in Florida

Postby Caseycjones » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:38 pm

I’m in Florida. The boat's life hass been in Florida. [There are] no Florida [registration] numbers on the boat. [It] was used on private lake.

[All I got was a bare hull.] [The hull] has a number inside: 5A0574.

conch

Re: Obtaining Boat Title In Florida

Postby conch » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Go to your local county tax collectors office in Florida. Take your Grandmother with you and fill out Form HSMV 82152 and you can get same day title service. She should bring the death certificate and her marriage license.

If she is not available fill out form HSMV 82040 and bring along death certificate, Grandfathers will, and Court probate papers.

Great boat and a great way to remember your Grandfather. Good luck.

Chuck

jimh

Re: Hull Identification

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:39 am

Caseycjones wrote:I have an old Boston Whaler15-foot boat with no [Vehicle Identification Number] on the [hull].

Boats do not have vehicle identification numbers. A boat made after 1972 has a federal hull identification number or HIN. Please read the FAQ to learn more about Boston Whaler boat hull identification numbers.

Q2: Where is the Hull Identification Number?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

Caseycjones wrote:[The hull] has a number inside: 5A0574.

The number you describe is called a STENCIL NUMBER. It was applied by Boston Whaler when the hull was molded. It can be used to identify the date of production. The FAQ explains the process.

If the boat is a 15-foot hull, it cannot be older than 1976, the first year the 15-foot hull was made. With stencil number 5A0574, is is very likely a c.1976 Boston Whaler 15-foot hull or perhaps a 1977, as that stencil number indicates the 574th 15-foot hull made.

Also, since the boat was made after 1972, it should have a federal hull identification number or HIN. Again, read the FAQ for advice about where to find and how to interpret the HIN.

As for obtaining a title, have your grandmother give you a bill of sale indicating the boat has been sold to you for $1, and include the HIN or STENCIL NUMBER on the bill of sale.

For a Boston Whaler 15-foot hull made in c.1976, there should be a METAL TAG attached to the PORT side of the transom with four rivets. The tag originally had some inked information printed on it, but if often occurs that the black ink has faded away. In addition to the black ink information, there should be two groups of numbers or letters EMBOSSED into the metal. The first or left side group of numbers will be FOUR or FIVE DIGITS, then a space, then TWO DIGITS and ONE LETTER. Together the printed and embossed letters and numbers formed the HIN. The HIN will read:

BWC (the manufacturer's identification code or MIC, which may no longer be visible)
FOUR or FIVE DIGITS embossed indicating serial number
M (indicating model year format, which may no longer be visible)
TWO DIGITS indicating the year of production
ONE LETTER indicating the month of production

See the FAQ to decode the month of production.

EXAMPLE: On the hull of a older 15-foot Boston Whaler there is a faded metal tag with the embossed numbers and letter that reads

12345 77 C

This would become the HIN
BWC12345M77C

It is possible that only four digits were used to form the HIN, so you might have a HIN like

BWC1234M76E

If the hull was so poorly cared for that the metal tag and the attaching rivets are completely gone, you still have the STENCIL NUMBER. Contact Boston Whaler for advice on interpreting the stencil number into a HIN. They may have records that could help.