Long Presentation of Trip in Montauk 17 to Florida from Rhode Island

A conversation among Whalers
Drmorison

Long Presentation of Trip in Montauk 17 to Florida from Rhode Island

Postby Drmorison » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:16 pm

[Here is a link to a ten-minute presentation of a trip in a] 17-foot Boston Whaler from New England to Florida [that is the first installment of about 40 episodes]. Super great adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6PwL2JsqQg

[Note: the original link pointed a listing of 40 episodes The new link points to the first presentation in that series. --jimh]

Rascal

Re: 17' Montauk from Rhode Island to Florida

Postby Rascal » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:16 am

Interesting trip though the videos could have been a little better. Many times it's hard to hear him. I did learn a few things. It was nice that he had someone back home selecting his marina and lodging. He was trying to complete a lot of miles each day, so it would have been hard to stop and search the internet when cold, wet, and in choppy water. He over packed, never using the tent and only fishing once on the first day near home. I was most surprised by the way he brought the boat home inside a rented truck. Great to see someone following through on a dream!
Rascal (Scott)
2015 170 Montauk

TFrere

Postby TFrere » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:43 am

I was surprised he didn’t have a bimini top to protect himself from the sun. If it had been me, I would have been as red as a boiled crawfish by the second day.
1985 15’ Sport with Yamaha F70

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:51 am

If the first presentation is representative of the rest, I will pass.

NLA01

Re: Long Presentation of Trip in Montauk 17 to Florida from Rhode Island

Postby NLA01 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:49 am

They is a very interesting set of videos. At the Statue of Liberty he held up the book "Only in America, An American Boating Adventure" paying tribute to the John Mirassou. The book is about 3 men who took the trip of a lifetime on the 17' Montauk traveling from Florida to New York over to the Great Lakes and then down to New Orleans on the MIssissippi. This is a must read.

I should mention his trip is from New England to the tip of Florida going down the ICW (Intracoastal Water Way)

The trip starts in the 5th video. If I were him I would have not brought a tent, got a Bimini Top added a windshield to protect him and not packed as much.

The first few videos are a little odd but once the trip starts it is a good watch, if your into trips like that. Great classic Montauk boat riding if anything.