160 DAUNTLESS Largest Cooler

A conversation among Whalers
Robber_Duckie

160 DAUNTLESS Largest Cooler

Postby Robber_Duckie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Aloha.

Q1: Without building a platform, what is the biggest cooler that can put in front of the center console of a 2002 160 DAUNTLESS?

I don’t need a roto-molded cooler since all of my trips are day trips. I have an 80-liter roto-molded cooler from Napa Auto, but it’s just too small. I’d like a large hard cooler up front.

Q2: Has a YETI 160 cooler ever been used on a 160 DAUNTLESS?

BACKSTORY: I bought a 2002 DAUNTLESS 160. I use the 160 DAUNTLESS for spearfishing on Oahu. I have 170-liter Aussie box behind the center console, but it makes the boat much smaller and noticeably decreases the ride of the boat with the added stern weight. It also displeases the other riders since they have to counterbalance by sitting up front on my smaller cooler a beanbag on the anchor locker. My Aussie box has a wide bottom of 47 to 48-inches--I think.

A YETI 160 is more square than the Aussie box.

Our local Costco is selling an IGLOO 165-quart for $125. It’s light, looks like it’ll get the job done, and it should fit. If it doesn’t, Costco will always take it back.

I travel with four people including myself and 40 to 80-lbs of ice. Gear is relatively light at 50-lbs. Usual trips are total of 30 to 80-miles with some of them ranging to 30-miles offshore on nice days.