Early Suzuki Fuel Injection Reliability

A conversation among Whalers
NewEnglandWhaler

Early Suzuki Fuel Injection Reliability

Postby NewEnglandWhaler » Thu May 02, 2019 9:21 pm

I am considering a re-power with a 1999 Suzuki 115-HP two-stroke-cycle engine that is equipped with electronic fuel injection. I know most Suzuki outboard engines nowadays are fuel injected, and I have yet to hear any truly negative things about those systems. However I have not been able to find much information about their c.1999 two-stroke-cycle engines using fuel injection.

What are common problems with the Suzuki c.1999 115-HP two-stroke-cycle engines?

jimh

Re: Early Suzuki Fuel Injection Reliability

Postby jimh » Fri May 03, 2019 9:00 pm

The fuel “injection” on two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engines is typically very simple. A carburetor is replaced with an electrically controlled fuel sprayer. The fuel is usually just sprayed into the air intake path. A single throttle body is often used. These systems are usually simpler and more reliable than carburetors, and can be controlled by very simple electronic circuits.

As you may know, Suzuki led all outboard engine manufacturers in abandoning their two-stroke-power-cycle engines and changing to an all four-stroke-power-cycle engine line. A c.1999 Suzuki is probably near the end of the production epoch for their two-cycle engines. The product was probably mature at that point.

A problem common to all 1999 Suzuki engines: they are now 20 years old. This means two things:

—if there were some flaw in manufacturing these engine, the flaw would probably already have appeared; and

—the history of a particular engine’s use and the care given to it are likely to have the greatest influence on the engine and its present condition, far more than any latent defect in design or manufacturing of the engine could have, if there were such a thing.

A further problem in your inquiry is the low market share of Suzuki in 1999 in the USA among Boston Whaler boat owners. Boston Whaler has always been a premier boat brand, and in 1999 would have been sold with an OMC engine out maybe a Yamaha.

NewEnglandWhaler

Re: Early Suzuki Fuel Injection Reliability

Postby NewEnglandWhaler » Sat May 04, 2019 10:41 pm

Thanks for the insight. You make some good points. The engine in question is an extremely clean, freshwater used example. I'd love to get a nice Mercury or Evinrude but this is the best option right now. Thank you, I will probably decide on it.